General Discussion

Maui Fires - "open a booking discussion"?

Aug 11, 2023

Anyone know how to open a booking discussion? I know redweek is not built for these type of issues, but...

M B.
Aug 11, 2023

Dear Redweek, We had rented out our Maui Time Share Unit (reference B06-7553-7100) from August 26, through September 2nd through your services. Your site directs us to open a dialog regarding the rental. Kindly provide us with details of what becomes of our rental based on the disater with the wild fires this week. Truly, John & Elizabeth Duschene 702-776-1454 jjd21@att.net eldhurricane@att.net

John D.
Aug 11, 2023

We booked a rental in Maui through your website for Aug27-Sept 3. The website has directed to open a booking discussion. How are we going to get compensated for this week we've paid for and now lost? We were booked at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club - confirmation # 028623581. The posting was R1089737. Regards, Anna Benington

Annie B.
Aug 11, 2023

Anna, I hope this info helps, I was fortunate to speak to a Redweek rep directly on Wednesday and was assured that if the resort cancels your reservation, you will not be charged. We are booked at the Marriott Ocean Club 8/22-26 and at the Westin for the following 7 days. As of today they have canceled all reservations through 8/20(before the info was to the 13th). I expect that next week they will cancel another week of bookings, especially with the Governor’s directives, federal state of emergency, etc. Regards, Lynda

Lynda H.
Aug 12, 2023

Lynda, how did you get ahold of a redweek rep directly? Cheers, Annie

Annie B.
Aug 12, 2023

I would like to cancel our rental in November, because of the fires. How do I go about doing this?

Naomi T.
Aug 12, 2023

I would like to cancel our rental in December because of the fires. How do I go about doing this please?

Naomi T.
Aug 12, 2023

Update - I received an email from RedWeek today cancelling trip starting 8/19.

M B.
Aug 12, 2023

I rented (booking #B10-7232-5172) studio at the Maui Ocean Club for Dec. 17,1923. I understand if the unit is not rentable I can be reimbursed is this correct?

I rented out my other unit (B08-2147-7055) the day before the fire for this same date - 12-17-23. How do I know if he bought trip cancellation/disaster insurance?

Please contact me Monday afternoon (8-14-23) in the afternoon - too many questions. (253)797-6058.

Thanks - Terry Dalton

Terry M. D.
Aug 12, 2023

Are they allowing you to move out your bookings because of the tragedy?

Terry M. D.
Aug 12, 2023

We understand your concern, and please know that the situation in Hawaii is very fluid and we have very little information from the resorts. We will continue to monitor official communication from the resorts and state and will be reaching out directly to owners and renters if we learn that their booking is impacted.

Unless you hear from us, please understand that we are obligated to follow the terms of the rental agreement in place for your booking. For renters, you can view the cancellation policy in the My Trips section of your RedWeek account. For owners, it can be viewed in the My Postings area. Once there, just click on the booking

Please note, in the event a resort is closed or evacuates, we will follow the terms of the contract:

5. Force Majeure If the Unit is uninhabitable or inaccessible on the day the Rental Period commences by reason of flood, fire, storm, force majeure, or other natural disaster, and a satisfactory substitute is not made available, the total Rent Payment will be refunded to the Renter. If the Renter is required to evacuate the Unit at any point during the Rental Term, the Renter is entitled to a pro-rated refund for unused nights from the point of evacuation order through the remainder of the Rental Period. In such events, the Owner will have no further liability to the Renter. Renter's inability to complete their travel for any other reason beyond the Owner's control (including, but not limited to, illness, airline interruptions, job loss, government mandate or restrictions) are the sole responsibility of the Renter, and the Cancellation Policy in section 4 applies. Renter is encouraged to purchase trip interruption and cancellation insurance for such matters.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us support@redweek.com and we’re happy to look into your specific situation!

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Aug 13, 2023

We opened a booking discussion about our Kanapaali rental and received the generic “force majeure” note already posted word for word in this thread in response. Come on redweek - don’t stall step up. The situation is not fluid, it’s a terrible disaster where renters should not use resources in west Maui that need to go to local relief. Anyone who visited St. John after the last hurricane knows how long it took infrastructure, supplies, transportation, local housing to recover. Even after two years major resorts and park service facilities were still off line. Hawaiian Tourist Association is telling tourists and even volunteers not to come to Maui and take up resources. We are planning on contributing through disaster relief today. Let’s not pretend this will be a smart tourist destination in a month or two.

Frank B.
Aug 13, 2023

Hi,

I need to cancel my Westin Nanea reservation 9/9-9/16/2023 due to the Maui fires. How do i go about this?

Thank you, Aubrey Shaw

Aubrey S.
Aug 13, 2023

Opening a “booking discussion” per the Redweek web site instructions. Due to the fires, my trip to Marriott Maui Ocean Club in November is now irrelevant. What is the process to cancel and, will redweek/the resort/owner let renters out of their agreements and reimburse rental and associated fees already paid, outside of the standard cancellation policy? Thank you.

Kyle K.
Aug 13, 2023

How do we cancel our trip in late September? The government is asking people to stay away . How would we get a refund since we are not within the time frame for full refunds?

Janae P.
Aug 14, 2023

Are the Maui fires affecting stays the next three weeks in Kauai?

William B.
Aug 14, 2023

So the owner who I rented from through Redweek has already agreed to cancel my reservation and has already done so on his end but Redweek won't acknowledge it and continues to send me the same note that they have to continue to monitor the situation and that unless I hear from them, they have to follow the terms of the agreement. I find this so odd, what is there to follow if the owner has already agreed to cancel the rental and agreement? Its like Redweek doesn't want to return anyone's money, this is my first time booking on Redweek and given how they are handling the situation, I will never book with them again.

Carman L.
Aug 14, 2023

We booked a week at the Hyatt Regency Club on Kanapaali Beach 9/2 - 9/9 never anticipating such a disaster could occur. We reached out to Redweek for options and were given the standard "force majeure" response. The Hawaii government is urging tourists to stay away from Maui as they are focused on helping local residents. How long will it take for Redweek to respond? This is our first time booking through this site. If we had booked directly through the resort, they would have easily cancelled our reservation.

@Redweek - please do the right thing and cancel our reservation with a full refund. The island needs time to recover from this tragedy.

Himanshu J.

Last edited by himanshuj2 on Aug 14, 2023 10:24 AM

Aug 14, 2023

UPDATE: We contacted the owners and they have graciously agreed to a refund. Prayers to Maui and its people...

We booked Marriott's Maui Ocean Club in Kaanipali for Sept 16th-23rd on redweek directly with the owner. We have reached out to them asking for cancellation/full refund due to the devastating fire and associated relief efforts. Additional unnecessary people on the island is a detriment to the relief efforts.

Will Redweek do the right thing and make sure these owners cooperate with refunds or is it best to dispute this with the credit card company?

Marla C.

Last edited by marlac25 on Aug 15, 2023 09:41 AM

Aug 14, 2023

We would like to cancel and receive a refund for our stay at Westin in Maui in November. I contacted the owner and he said to reach out to redweek directly. How do we go about this? Thank you

Kelly G.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.