May 06, 2009

x

Allice L.

Last edited by allisonb46 on Jul 06, 2010 12:16 PM

May 07, 2009

allisonb46 wrote:
When I first started looking into selling my timeshare, I got so overwhelmed with people calling me non-stop asking me to pay HIGH (some would say $1,000+!!! WHAT??) prices to list my timeshare. Even when I called companies they ALL required a huge amount of money upfront.

I did a lot of research, (people from different websites still call me to this day!) and finally listed my timeshare with BuyThisTimeshare.com, they required a low fee upfront, and then once it SELLS, they collect the rest.

With them still "hungry" for the rest of the fee once it was SOLD, they were working for ME. (Not just taking my money and running!)

My timeshare with Marriott sold in less than six months, and for close to my asking price.

I would also suggest not over pricing your timeshare, you will never make back what you paid for at the resort, but at least I got about 80% back.

Good luck, try them out!

May I ask the amount of their low upfront fee and the amount of their fee after your TS sold?

Were these fees based on a % of the sales price or flat rate fee?

Thanks

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on May 07, 2009 04:44 AM

May 07, 2009

xx

Allice L.

Last edited by allisonb46 on Jul 06, 2010 12:10 PM

May 07, 2009

allisonb46 wrote:
Most companies ask for around $599, give or take a few, this company wanted $400 at time of listing and $200 at sale. I told them I couldn't pay that much money upfront, they then stated they could do $300 at listing and $300 at time of sale. I needed to call my wife, so she okayed that, and I listed my timeshare.

I'd be wary of percentage fees, I've never heard of that before in the timeshare resale market, was that the closing company? Perhaps they charge the percentage fee?

There are some Real Estate brokers who sell timeshares without an upfront fee and can charge 15%-20% commission. I know of one company who charged 15% with a minimum of $1500.

Congrats for selling. I don't know which Marriott you owned, but some can be in high demand and an easier sell. I just hope the sale price passed the ROFR, so the buyer got the unit and NOT Marriott.

Mike N.
May 07, 2009

xx

Allice L.

Last edited by allisonb46 on Jul 06, 2010 12:11 PM

May 07, 2009

Allison your information would be good news except this same posting is on Tug and person calling himself Rufus Willard made his first post doing this.

After some questions he was listed as a shill and he made statement that his daughter owned the timeshare. Are you the daughter or same person making all these phony post to promote a scam company?

If I'm wrong I do apologize but Rufus has same details and timeshare and selling price, What are the odd's! Also this same posting already deleted on TS4MS forum!

Marriott, Canyon Villas,at Desert Ridge, Phoenix

OLD SAYING IF IT WALKS LIKE A DUCK AND SOUNDS LIKE A DUCK!

PHILL12

Phil L.

Last edited by phill12 on Sep 17, 2010 12:20 PM

May 08, 2009

I definitely smell a shill here promoting his/her company.

R P.
May 25, 2009

It is so obvious its scary!

Susan J.
May 26, 2009

People should list their own timeshares in local papers, bulletin boards, call friends and families; co-workers, anyone who might be interersted.......your boss. This way, you won't be frauded.

Find your own buyers then call us to walk you thru it (via escrow) or create your own make-shift contract with your buyer (make sure the contract has the resort; the unit number; the interval control number and both parties sign) and go directly to escrow on your own......

Kari K.

Last edited by marty8084 on May 27, 2009 01:29 AM

Jun 16, 2009

was your TS in USA? Did this company handle all the paperwork?

Nanakathy
Jun 16, 2009

I have heard that Marriott will buy back your unit for a 40% rate on the price you bought it at not what it is currently on the market for? I contacted Marriott and they told me they wouldn't buy back until property was sold out. Was that your experience?

Nanakathy
Jun 16, 2009

karik27 wrote:
People should list their own timeshares in local papers, bulletin boards, call friends and families; co-workers, anyone who might be interersted.......your boss. This way, you won't be frauded.

Find your own buyers then call us to walk you thru it (via escrow) or create your own make-shift contract with your buyer (make sure the contract has the resort; the unit number; the interval control number and both parties sign) and go directly to escrow on your own......

You can sell your timeshare yourself via internet timeshare ad sites such as Redweek and other legitimate ad sites for a nominal fee.

Selling is all about supply and demand of your resort/time owned and pricing your week to attract the attention of a prospective buyer. Remember that you will never get back on the resale market what you paid the developer for your timeshare and some timeshares can't even be given away in this economy.

R P.
Jul 01, 2009

You guys are lucky. I own at Vistana Cascades in Kisimee and I cant give my "Premium Lock Off Apartment" as Vistana calls it, away for FREE!

John M.
Jul 14, 2009

We've bought two timeshares through redweek postings. Both owners were exceptionally easy to work with. so I would start here! (both were in Maui). We never paid anything until it closed escrow.

Robert L.
Jul 15, 2009

did Marriott charge you a 40% commission or did you sell through redweek? I am a little confused. How long did it take to sell your Marriott property?

Nanakathy
Jul 15, 2009

was that much below what you paid for it? how long ago did you buy if I may ask?

Nanakathy
Jul 15, 2009

Sorry, we did not sell through redweek. As I said, we bought from listings on redweek. There are no selling commissions that go to marriott, it is a regular real estate transaction. Redweek simply listed it, then I emailed the owner, and we set a price, and went into escrow. Marriott does have the right of first refusal, saying they could buy at that price instead of the buyer. my guess is they almost never exercise it. With nothing risked, the process of escrow guarantees the deal, best I can tell. I think we bought the properties relatively quickly after they were listed, because the prices where good. For some history, we were buying some weeks directly from the Marriott Maui Lahania villas using a 1031 exchange (at full price), but then i found a listing on redweek that was 30% lower, so we bought that also. you do give up the "bonus points" they give you. Then marriott opened the new napili villas (adjacent to the lahaina villas and the exact same rooms), and they had the gall to raise the price above the lahaina rooms. Then we found a great unit on redweek at the (now older) lahaina villas that was now 40% lower than the new napilli, but essentially the same thing. Escrow closed smoothly, though it takes months to get your papers form the maui recorders.

so to make a long story shorter - we were buying (fixed) weeks at an incredible place for 25-40% less than the retail price. like i said, you miss out on some points, so i can't comment on that. And not sure i said here that i personally think buying good fixed weeks is better than playing roulette with floating weeks. but i have to say i don't know how the floating week game really works.

Robert L.
Jul 16, 2009

We own in the Napali towers. We first bought oceanview Lahania tower and didn't like the view at all so we upgraded to oceanfront at the Napali tower and were there in May and loved it. We also own Aruba Surf Club oceanfront, but since it is in a foreign country we are unsure how that will work since redweek won't handle foreign properties. Oh well guess I have to give it a try. We love the floating weeks since we are both retired and can travel anytime we want to. Thanks for your informative answer.

Nanakathy
Jul 17, 2009

sailawaygirl wrote:
We also own Aruba Surf Club oceanfront, but since it is in a foreign country we are unsure how that will work since redweek won't handle foreign properties.
You should be able to list your TS for sale with RedWeek regardless of the location. Redweek is not involved in the sale. The escrow company, First American Title, which is promoted by RedWeek, is probably the one who will not handle foreign transactions.

Mike N.
Jul 18, 2009

we'll see you in maui then! Our units are all in lahaina towers oceanfront. we love it too much, can't wait to get back!

Robert L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.