Timeshare Companies

Please report upfront fee scammers to Attorney General .... there's power in numbers ... Florida has begun

Jul 17, 2010

lancec13 wrote:
Has anyone heard of Resort Resale Advocate Group (resortresaleadvocate.com)? It claims it will try to get you a refund from resale scammers for a 40% commission. It also claims that you won't pay a penny until you collect (or are credited with) a refund.

Anybody heard of this?

Yes, I have heard of Resort Resale Advocate Group. Received callfrom them this week. Husband took initial call and rep trie dto pressure him into making decision to use them to help us recover monies from Vacation Marketing. Don't know how they got our phone#'s. i called them the next day after I Googled numbers and name of company. Phone numbers are wireless cell numbers and listed with Cingular. Located in Newport Beach, CA. Company has no address on website and no way of contacting them than a phone number. Fishy!!

I am going to report to BBB and CA Consumers Fraud Bureau, and IRS Fraud.

Nilsa T.
Jul 18, 2010

I paid a fee to "Premium Timeshare Depot" --- nothing Fee to "Timeshares Buy Owner" (who by the way said they had an offer) --- nothing

Never again. It was an expensive lesson

Norman C.
Jul 19, 2010

I received a call tonight after 9 pm from resort resale advocate group. They wanted to help me to recover my money from vacation marketing who they say is now out of business. (I had paid them $395 to try to sell my timeshare in Mexico.) I found it very ironic that they were calling me as I was on the computer looking up info on how to sell a timeshare. He said he had no way of knowing that I was on my computer and that I was on his list of clients of Vaca. Mktg. He told me it would take 35% for his legal team if they got me a refund. I gave him no information, but he will call me again on wednesday. I think this stinks as well. I found no website either. Let us know if you have any followup conversations with these people.

Linda M.
Jul 20, 2010

lindam1002 wrote:
I received a call tonight after 9 pm from resort resale advocate group. They wanted to help me to recover my money from vacation marketing who they say is now out of business. (I had paid them $395 to try to sell my timeshare in Mexico.) I found it very ironic that they were calling me as I was on the computer looking up info on how to sell a timeshare. He said he had no way of knowing that I was on my computer and that I was on his list of clients of Vaca. Mktg. He told me it would take 35% for his legal team if they got me a refund. I gave him no information, but he will call me again on wednesday. I think this stinks as well. I found no website either. Let us know if you have any followup conversations with these people.

One scam company going after another scam company, that's funny .... if they ask for a large upfront fee, then they're a scam same as upfront fee resale companies.

R P.
Jul 21, 2010

I'm reposting judi's post here:

Attorney General Announces Additional Consumer Protection Efforts Against Timeshare Resale Scams

~ Three lawsuits filed today; four new subpoenas issued ~

TALLAHASSEE, FL - Attorney General Bill McCollum today announced that his office has filed lawsuits against three Florida companies, alleging the companies and their owners used deceptive and unfair practices that enticed consumers to spend hundreds of dollars to advertise their timeshares for resale with the companies. All three lawsuits are seeking restitution for affected consumers as well as court orders prohibiting the companies from committing further violations of Florida law and reimbursement of costs and fees. Four companies in the Tampa Bay area were also served with investigative subpoenas yesterday.

“With complaints about timeshare resales on the rise, my office will continue launching investigations, filing lawsuits, and obtaining whatever relief is available for victims of these scams,” said Attorney General McCollum.

The lawsuits name Timeshares By Owners, Gold Crown Property Management Inc., and International Marketing and Finance Group. These three lawsuits bring the number of lawsuits filed by the Office of Attorney General against timeshare resale companies to a total of 10. Additionally, more than 60 companies have been investigated and 48 investigations are active, including the four with the subpoenas served yesterday.

This year, the Attorney General’s Office has received more complaints regarding timeshare resale than any other single issue.

The Attorney General’s Economic Crimes Division began investigating the companies sued today after receiving numerous consumer complaints, alleging the companies were using false or misleading sales pitches to induce consumers into paying up-front fees for the companies’ advertising services. According to consumer complaints, each of the companies misled consumers into believing that the companies had buyers ready to purchase the consumers’ timeshares. Consumers have also reported that the companies promised to sell the timeshares within a given period of time. When the companies’ services did not perform as promised, the consumers allege that the companies would not provide refunds.

The lawsuit naming Timeshares Direct, Inc., which does business as Timeshares By Owner, alleges that the company is in violation of a 2001settlement with the Attorney General’s Office. According to that settlement, the company was prohibited from using misleading sales tactics, such as claiming to have a buyer waiting to purchase the consumer’s timeshare, to induce consumers into advertising their timeshares with the company. Since 2007, the Attorney General’s Office has received more than 180 consumer complaints alleging that Timeshares By Owner is not honoring conditions of the settlement. The lawsuit, which names two of the company’s owners, Jana Kilmek and Jeffrey Frantz, was filed today in Orange County Circuit Court.

The second lawsuit was filed in Pinellas County Circuit Court against Gold Crown Property Management Inc., and owners Roy Xiques, and Jason Kress. This lawsuit seeks to recover consumer payments and to prohibit the business and its officers from making false promises that a buyer is ready and available to purchase a client’s timeshare. The lawsuit further seeks to prohibit the company from claiming an easy refund of fees is available if the services are not successful. The Attorney General has sought to ensure that the business complies with Florida law requiring upfront written disclosure of the business’s actual success rate selling timeshares for its customers, as well as the cost of the timeshare resale services.

The last lawsuit was filed today in Palm Beach County Circuit Court against International Marketing and Finance Group, Inc. and its president, Christopher Lee Hutson. The lawsuit alleges the timeshare reseller engaged in deceptive business practices by, among other things, misrepresenting the availability of refunds for upfront fees paid by consumers and, in some instances, unlawfully charging consumers’ credit cards prior to the receipt of signed contracts.

Continuing the focus on the timeshare resale industry, the Attorney General’s Office yesterday served investigative subpoenas to four Tampa Bay area timeshare resellers. The subpoenas were served on Eclipse Property Solutions of St. Petersburg, Super Timeshare Resales of Tampa, International Resort Properties, LLC of New Port Richey, and Ace Timeshare, Inc. of Pinellas Park. These subpoenas seek information about the businesses' sales and business practices and require the production of copies of contracts, licenses, marketing materials, telephone scripts, identity of affiliate businesses, and other sales transaction documentation.

The Attorney General’s Economic Crimes Division has been actively pursuing timeshare resellers as part of a statewide initiative that started in 2009. In furtherance of these efforts, the Attorney General has recently joined forces with the Federal Trade Commission, The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, and local law enforcement across the state, establishing a multi-agency taskforce to combat fraud within the timeshare resale industry. The office has already recovered more than $ 1.8 million in settlements for return to consumers.

Floridians who are considering listing their timeshare for sale or rent are encouraged to contact the Attorney General’s Office to inquire whether or not specific companies have complaints reported against them. Consumers can contact the Attorney General’s Citizen Services Division by calling the Attorney General’s fraud hotline at 1-866-9-NO-SCAM (1-866-966-7226) or by visiting the Attorney General’s website at http://www.myfloridalegal.com.

Florida Toll Free: 1-866-966-7226Copyright © 2008 State of FloridaPrivacy Policy

R P.
Jul 22, 2010

lancec13 wrote:
Has anyone heard of Resort Resale Advocate Group (resortresaleadvocate.com)? It claims it will try to get you a refund from resale scammers for a 40% commission. It also claims that you won't pay a penny until you collect (or are credited with) a refund.

Anybody heard of this?

They just called me letting me know the co. I had listed with was a scam. Have done nothing with them as of yet. Trying to find if they are another scam.

Teresa K.
Jul 23, 2010

A federal indictment calls it "pitching heat" - telling "blatant lies" on the phone to scam fees out of people who think there is a real buyer for their time-share properties.

Now some national heat is coming down on three Palm Beach County pitchers.

Federal grand jurors in East St. Louis, Ill., indicted Darnell Disroe, 38, and Michael Lentine, 32, of Boynton Beach and Michael Starace, 42, of Lantana on Wednesday. Boynton Beach police and U.S. postal inspectors cooperated in an investigation that found more than 600 victims were bilked for more than $1.3 million in 46 states and Canada.

Real Timeshare Marketing asked time-share condo owners to pay thousands of dollars for costs associated with phony pending sales, according to an unsealed indictment. Despite collecting $1.3 million in fees between Dec. 1 and April 28, the company was not instrumental in selling a single time-share interest, federal officials said.

The men could not be reached for comment. A company employee who answered the phone Thursday said she would leave a message for them.

Similar ploys have become the top complaint to a state fraud hot line, surpassing mortgage scams, and involving more than 10,000 complaints against scores of companies. Palm Beach County has been a hotbed for the business, with 10 of 17 companies subpoenaed by the Florida Attorney General's Office in March based in the county. Fines, settlements and pending civil charges at the state and local level have addressed some of the complaints.

This time, federal authorities are pursuing charges of mail fraud and other offenses that carry up to 25 years in prison or fines up to $250,000 per count.

Among others, an Illinois customer paid $1,886 after an agent for Real Timeshare Marketing promised someone wanted to buy the customer's time-share interest for more than $20,000, but the sale never happened, authorities said. The U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of Illinois announced the charges.

The men indicted have more than 20 arrests between them.

Disroe has been arrested three times since 2005 on charges including drug possession and fraud, receiving probation in two cases, according to Florida Department of Law Enforcement records.

Lentine, whose occupation is listed as "detail cars" in arrest records, has been apprehended six times, most recently for shoplifting in 2008, but that charge was not prosecuted, records show.

Starace, listed as a bartender in FDLE records, has 12 arrests, one of which resulted in a short jail stint on drug charges in 2004.

Researcher Niels Heimericks contributed to this story.

Judi Kozlowski - Re/Max P.
Jul 24, 2010

teresak85 wrote:
They just called me letting me know the co. I had listed with was a scam. Have done nothing with them as of yet. Trying to find if they are another scam.

If you have to pay a large upfront fee then they're scams just like all the upfront fee resale companies.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jul 24, 2010 09:06 AM

Aug 27, 2010

. .Just google vacation register international and you will see what type of people they are.Go to sunbiz.org and search a corporation by entity name Vacation Register International, the officer/director is John Haggar.Now search at sunbiz.org under fictitious name for Timeshare Sales today, surprise the owner is Vacation Register International John Haggar, now at sunbiz.org search yet again by fictitious name My Consumer Advocate...owner John Haggar...Hmmmm. From this information it is obvious that Mr. Haggars past caught up with him as Vacation Register International so now he is soliciting the same people he took money from as Vacation register as Timeshare Sales today and even worse My consumer advocate.He is charging the same consumers hard earned money with a promise of getting refunds from all the company's we listed with that were the same as his Vacation Register.My consumer advocate has sent letters on my behalf and without my permission to other companies and represented he was me. I No where on my paper work does he put his name or any company name...just me the ripped off consumer.He makes statements that are untrue, false and just plain lies in their efforts to get $$$$$ they know it is illegal what they are doing and that is why they will not put anyones name but mine. I have avoided a lot of problems by reporting all this to the atty general in fl as well as my state.still ripping people off just with a different spin.I urge anyone that has done business with Mr. Haggar or any of his shell corporations to please report to the atty general in your state as well as his.BUYER BEWARE!!!There is always a paper trail hopefully Mr. haggar will run out of corporations and end up where he belongs federal prison.Timeshare owners avoid these people...have

Lisa M.
Jan 08, 2011

I can only speak through my own experience; but; upon being taken in by Westgate; I imediately turned my attention to sell my so-called even week. In this process, I discovered time shared adventures who placed a very decorative web page. I failed to check their BBB ratings nor; did I read any consumer write ups on them. I spoke to what seemed like ; a nice lady; and she assured me over the phone that my suite, because, of its location and facility; would sure to sell in four to six weeks. That was 8 monthes ago; and I havent heard a single word from them since. THERE"S $785 US gonzo! As far as I am concerned; I have been ripped off. My personal advise is; stay away from anything related to time share; if you have a beef ; take it directly to the attorney general; and; or ; senator of Florida. These marketing companies , are not to be trusted for a moment. THEY are ALL CROOKS!!

Glen K.
Jan 20, 2011

glenk29 wrote:
My personal advise is; stay away from anything related to time share!
Regrettably, you apparently chose to pay good money to an ineffective upfront fee "marketing" parasite; an unfortunate choice and decision. As you correctly note, any and all such entities are really nothing but thieving parasites and, regardless of any potential future Attorney General action against them, it is highly unlikely that you'll ever see dime of that money again.

That said, EVERYTHING involving timeshare is not necessarily bad. Unfortunately, you originally chose to do business with Westgate, a highly "questionable" company whose own CEO (David Siegel) has been (and remains) involved with a whole host of lawsuits and legal actions, most recently including his own personal bankruptcy while constructing a huge, multi-million dollar mansion for himself.

Despite far too many "bad apples", all is not necessarily "evil" throughout the timeshare world. There are many, many small and competently managed timeshare facilities throughout the entire U.S., with honest and competent actual owners (who are not developer stooges or puppets) on their HOA / Board of Directors. Ownership at such facilities can (and does) continue to provide guaranteed, high quality, affordable vacation lodging for a great many people and familiies, year after year.

The timeshare buyer (or timeshare owner who wants to sell) ALWAYS has to be diligent and make the considerable effort required to do the necessary homework first. It's this "separating the wheat from the chaff" that determines whether one will become and remain a happy and content timeshare owner or a disgruntled and unhappy complainant. Good choices can and do yield good results in timeshare. Bad choices, on the other hand, will inevitably result in personal dissatisfaction and significant financial loss.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 20, 2011 05:25 AM

Jul 29, 2011

My wife and I have duped to the tune of over $20K. Either by the 'have a sale' crooks or 'we will get you money back'. Same crooks--just a different line.

I am making a detailed listing for the Florida Attorney General's office.

Just had a call from "Resort Resale Advocate Group in Newport Beach, California. They say they don't charge up-front. They will call back next week. I Googled and found very little that helped. Anyone know if they are for real?

Morgan T.

Last edited by morgan152 on Jul 29, 2011 02:46 PM

Jul 30, 2011

morgan152 wrote:
My wife and I have duped to the tune of over $20K. Either by the 'have a sale' crooks or 'we will get you money back'. Same crooks--just a different line.

Just had a call from "Resort Resale Advocate Group in Newport Beach, California. They say they don't charge up-front. They will call back next week. I Googled and found very little that helped. Anyone know if they are for real?

Don't bite .... the old saying is still true .... "fool me once, it's your fault .... fool me twice, it's my fault". Timeshare scams are rampant and more are popping up every day.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jul 30, 2011 08:42 AM

Jul 30, 2011

jayjay wrote:
morgan152 wrote:

Don't bite .... the old saying is still true .... "fool me once, it's your fault .... fool me twice, it's my fault". Timeshare scams are rampant and more are popping up every day.

C+ rating with the BBB plus they are not acredited. ACcording to TUG they are scammers themselves. We have had a number of calls from clients who have been taken by the group that is going to get their money back. The group that scammed them in the first place sells the name to the new group to scam you. Their saying is if they paid once they will pay again. And unfortunately people do it every day. Deal with a licensed real estate agent so that you have someone to go to if there is a problem.

Aug 17, 2011

OK I'm one of these sucker's that lost money. It's been a few years now. Tried to chase down someone that cared about this scam back then and had no luck. Seems there has been progress in shutting down these thief's. Very interesting reading. Still getting about 1 phone call a week with these friend's just trying to help me rent or sell my week.

Terry Melnyk

Sharon M.

Last edited by sharonm183 on Aug 17, 2011 10:15 AM

Sep 06, 2011

Let me add to this blog. Do you guys think it is illegal for John Haggar (owner of Timeshare Sales Today and My Consumer Advocate) to refer business to a resale company when he is a recovery business? That is exactly what is happening. My Consumer Advocate does not have a telemarketing license to telemarket customers. The company still places illegal calls to potential customers. Mr Haggar has now stooped to an all time low. He is soliciting resale companies and promising them a good report if they refer him business. Timeshare Adventures, in order to sign up a new customer, tells the customer that he/she can get all the money back spent trying to sell a timeshare by contacting John Haggar at My Consumer Advocate. Once they contact John Haggar, Mr Haggar gives Timeshare Adventures a good report. In the end, the customer is tricked into believing Timeshare Adventures is a good company and My Consumer Advocate gets business referred by Timeshare Adventures. Sure hope the feds get involved before Timeshare Sales Today goes defunct, which will happen soon.

Steve P.
Sep 06, 2011

It's my belief that the new recovery companies popping up are former employees of upfront fee resale scam companies due to there being so much info on the internet now and in the media and they're losing business left and right and are being raided and arrested by state AGs, FBI and the FTC that those employees are now working for so-called upfront fee scam recovery services .... same song and dance, different name.

R P.
Sep 06, 2011

jayjay wrote:
It's my belief that the new recovery companies popping up are former employees of upfront fee resale scam companies due to there being so much info on the internet now and in the media and they're losing business left and right and are being raided and arrested by state AGs, FBI and the FTC that those employees are now working for so-called upfront fee scam recovery services .... same song and dance, different name.
Some of the new "recovery" companies are owned by a couple of Attorneys. Same song and dance. Beware. The only way to get your money back is to personally go after the dirtbags and file complaints with everyone you can.

Sep 14, 2011

My husband and I got answering machine saying it was full and to call back later. The next time I called and left a message but no one returned my call. The third time I called and an answering service said that RRA reps were in a meeting. I left a message for Carrie Stevenson (the person we talked to and who sent us documents with instructions). The next day, I received a call fromKelly Bacca, who tried to convince me to try a third time to get Bank of America to refund our $1800 (it would be the bank that determined the contract was binding on us because we did not cancel the contract with Buyatimeshare.com within 72 hours. While rushing me, Kelly talked and a dog was barking in the background. Not very professional to say the least. RRA has already collected the $630 fee from my credit card despite the fact that I have not signed the contract and there has been no refund. Now I have to write and cancel with RRA AND file a dispute with the bank against RRA to try to recover my $630. This makes 3 timeshare resale gimmicks and/or outright scams plus RRA to the tune of over $4000. Yes, I do intend to report this to the Attorney General of the United States. But, that won't give us back our money. Fast talking, high pressure people calling you and asking for money up front and your credit card information should be a warning...A RED FLAG. We are on a fixed income and retired. Let this serve as a caution to others like us who, once naive, think we may have learned our lesson at a high cost.

Virginia L.
Sep 15, 2011

It appears that one has to have "upfront scammers" in order to have any reply for Florida attorney general to reply. on my request for westgate did not follow the procedure in a transfer sale for the price or $250, Westgate advised that they would pay $250 and take the unit back. Well this disapointed the buyer, so, after 3 letters to corporate headquarters and also filed a report to BBB of Florida. In my conversation with westgate, she advised that she had never heard of the 30 day period for westgate to advise that they were going to repurchase. After a 1/2 hour of discussion, a return call was made and westgate corporate advised that they would not excercise their right and let the property pass throught to the intented new buyer. It appeared that westgate was more interested in replying to BBB report. There were also certified letters mailed to 3 or the croporate offices. I am sure that in one of the corporate office, that someone decided that this is not worth any of executive time for $250. I recieved a FORM LETTER from someone from the attorney general office, He advised me to write to Missouri attorney general, and my reply it was not worth the time. It appears that a reply to the the better business bureau was more important to westgate. my reply, ther are only 635 complaints on the web site, so why bother. as far as scammers go , a friend of mine has paid some ozark liquidators $3,900 and has to pay 2012 mt. fee, to sell the Mariott property in Palm Springs. Why not just list it for $500. and Mariott may purchased it back for that price instead of paying almost $6,000 up front to some firm to dispose of it.. .

Robert S.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.