Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

If you've been scammed by Sell My Timeshare Now ....

Feb 09, 2017

thanks everyone for all your reviews, I just got done talking with a guy from sell my timeshare and he were asking me for $1000 to sell my timeshare, I explained to the guy that the last time I called them last year for the same reason, the person told me that they would do it for $800 so why was he asking me for almost $1000 now? he said it is because they are the best companies there is and because of that, I need to pay for their service which I said that is fine, but please give me some time let me look more into your website and I will get back to you, he got so frustrated with me on the phone and told me that he is trying to help me and I'm acting like I don't need help. I told him, why don't you go ahead and email me some things about you guys, all he wanted to talk about was the money. "how much can you come up with right now" "what can you afford'? "are you able to comp up with 3 to $400" i said to him that i didn't have the money right away that if he give me like 2 weeks from today, i might be able to, he got really mad and hang up the phone. with out asking me any information about my timeshare all he wanted was money.

i am really happy i read all your reviews because as stupid as i can be sometimes, i would have fell for this.

thanks everyone for your reviewers, you saved someone today

Rugenta A.

Last edited by rugentaa on Feb 09, 2017 01:07 PM

Feb 09, 2017

rugentaa wrote:
thanks everyone for all your reviews, I just got done talking with a guy from sell my timeshare and he were asking me for $1000 to sell my timeshare, I explained to the guy that the last time I called them last year for the same reason, the person told me that they would do it for $800 so why was he asking me for almost $1000 now? he said it is because they are the best companies there is and because of that, I need to pay for their service which I said that is fine, but please give me some time let me look more into your website and I will get back to you, he got so frustrated with me on the phone and told me that he is trying to help me and I'm acting like I don't need help. I told him, why don't you go ahead and email me some things about you guys, all he wanted to talk about was the money. "how much can you come up with right now" "what can you afford'? "are you able to comp up with 3 to $400" i said to him that i didn't have the money right away that if he give me like 2 weeks from today, i might be able to, he got really mad and hang up the phone. with out asking me any information about my timeshare all he wanted was money.

i am really happy i read all your reviews because as stupid as i can be sometimes, i would have fell for this.

thanks everyone for your reviewers, you saved someone today

SMTN is not actually a "scam", per se --- but they ARE completely worthless. Their gig is basically to charge money (upfront, of course) to place a useless "listing" that few people will ever see and fewer still will ever respond to. It's not "illegal" --- just useless. They don't actually "steal money and disappear" --- they have actually been around for quite a long time now and they certainly are not going away anytime soon. Nonetheless, they take upfront money and they provide absolutely nothing of any real use or value in return except for a worthless listing that no one will likely ever see. Not exactly a "scam" and not "illegal", but still a completely useless and worthless enterprise just the same.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 15, 2017 08:08 AM

Feb 18, 2017

Thanks for the insight on these guys everyone. I was headed down the path of using them, now I'm not so sure. Are there any "legit" companies out there that you would recommend and don't charge an upfront fee? What about timeshareexitteam.com? They advertise heavily on various media outlets. It doesn't appear they give you any value for the asset, just get you out of it. Any direction would be helpful. BTW - it's a Marriott timeshare property if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Ken L.
Feb 18, 2017

They are all SCAMS !! NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract. Don't fall for a shill coming in the forum and posting a website under the disguise of asking if they are legit. They troll the forums looking for victims to lure to their website.

Don P.
Feb 18, 2017

kenl261 wrote:
What about timeshareexitteam.com?.... BTW - it's a Marriott timeshare property if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Timeshare Exit Team likely just negotiates with the resort to take your unit back. That is something you can do yourself for a lot less money.

Marriott properties usually have some resale value so you might want to list it for sale here on RedWeek or other reputable websites such as My Resort Network, Timeshare Users Group, or E-Bay. You might even want to consult with a licensed timeshare broker on ltrba.com. They do not charge an upfront fee but will charge you a huge commission upon the sale (minimum $1000).

Lance C.
Mar 18, 2017

Can you explain to me how the timeshares work?

Margie P.
Mar 19, 2017

margiep9 wrote:
Can you explain to me how the timeshares work?

Here are the basics in a nutshell. Of course, there are some variations but this is how most work:

There is a resort usually in an area that's popular for vacationing with a lot of units, kind of like a condominium or townhouse complex. Instead of one person buying a whole unit, he buys one week of use in that unit. So he's basically buying 1/52 of a unit. And instead of him paying the maintenance fees and strata fees for the whole unit, he just pays 1/52. So it's like having a vacation home for just one week of the year.

Of course, discussing all the pros and cons would take us into next month but those are the basics. So if you like the idea of vacationing in a certain, favored place one week per year in a resort with amenities and full bathrooms, bedrooms, and kitchen in each unit without spending a lot of time and money to maintain it, then owning a timeshare might be right for you. However, many will come on these boards and complain (understandably) about the many pitfalls of owning a timeshare.

So before buying one (or even acquiring one for free of which there are many out there) do a lot of research and carefully analyze your travel needs, preferences, and financial situation. Most people will say avoid buying one but there are a number of owners who are very happy with their purchase.

Lance C.
Mar 21, 2017

There is a fellow named Tom Tubbs who is a licensed real estate broker in Sarasota, Florida. I met him at a timeshare owner's meeting in Sarasota this past Sunday, where he was on a panel participant among several other speakers. His brokerage is called Island Consulting Realty and he is very knowledgeable, experienced and completely honest about resale timeshares. He does NOT charge ANY upfront fees and receiveds a commission UPON ACTUAL SALE. This is not an endorsement of Tubbs or his business and I am not "advertising" for him; I have never personally utilized his services, but I spent some time talking to and listening to him and he certainly knows his business and is obviously an honest guy. The key here is NO UPFRONT FEES. If a timeshare is worthless in the resale market and he cannot possibly sell it for you, he will just bluntly tell you so, but (in response to the above post by kenl261) I cannot imagine any Marriott timeshare actually being "worthless". Tubbs is also a founding member of an organization of LICENSED brokers dealing with resale timeshares ONLY on commission upon sale (again, no upfront fees). The abbreviation for this group is LRTBA or LTBRA, I'm not sure which, but if you're sufficiently interested you can easily find him and his business via Internet search using the information contained within this post.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 22, 2017 07:43 AM

May 27, 2018

I paid 1 000 $ but i was asked 1 454 $ I had an account number but it does not work (2397313)

Claude T.
May 30, 2018

We signed with them in 3/2018, & paid this company almost $1800.00 to sell a fully paid off $32,000 timeshare. In less than a week, we had one "offer" that ended up being bogus. We were never told details about the offer, etc. It just went away. I spoke w/customer service again in April, lowering the price $10,000 & paying the maintenance fees for the year. We've heard nothing. I did get a response from a customer service email telling me even Disney got/gets bad reviews. How they can talk about them in the same breath is beyond me. They told me to contact them if I still had questions. I did, & I do. I've sent 2 additional emails & heard nothing. But it was a long weekend, so maybe she was just off 😐. It may seem earky in the game for me to be complaining; However, in reviewing all I can find on this company, I am learning that it is the same for everybody. They take about $1800, telling you they will "list and aggressively market" your timeshare. Within a few days, you remarkably get an offer, which is B.S. & meant only to keep you on the hook. After asking several times, I was finally told it was a "bogus offer." I give him credit for being honest. So should you pay them?? In my opinion, no. All I want to know is how long are we bound SMTSN, and/or can we try & sell this on our own, which they won't answer. I just hate the thought of my husband's pension. Thirty-two yrs of sacrifice & hard work, but Wyndham & everything associated with the shady timeshare business managed to drain 32K of it, since we already paid it off. And the HOA's, all paid for this year, will just continue to increase. We thought we would use this ourselves & then leave it to our kids, then theirs, etc. Now? I will tell everyone I know what a shady, just skating above the law, business this is. I would be thrilled to join a classic action lawsuit against people in the entire industry. They are just sitting there collecting money from hard working, retired, fun loving people, who want more family time, who believe their lies, or will do anything just to get away from their highly aggressive sales techniques!

Michele G.
May 30, 2018

There will be no "class action lawsuit". SMTN has been around for a long time and they will remain alive and well. What they do is entirely lawful (although nearly useless). They are a "listing service" --- nothing more --- and they don't claim otherwise. The fact that people voluntarily choose to pay them far too much money for a (usually unrealistically priced) "listing" on a somewhat obscure web site is sad and unfortunate, but certainly no basis for legal action with any chance of success.

Unless you signed an exclusive listing agreement (highly unlikely), you can still advertise and try to sell the timeshare entirely on your own. The money that you paid to SMTN is gone and is not coming back. RedWeek is a great site on which to advertise, but your pricing must be competitive and realistic. It may be hard to accept, but whatever amount you previously overpaid to a developer is completely irrelevant. The resale value of any timeshare in the secondary (resale) market simply "is what it is". You can get a rough idea of the range of "asking" prices for your particular timeshare by perusing various timeshare sites (and eBay) for listings comparable to yours. Ignore SMTN listing prices; they are usually absurdly high and very unlikely to ever result in a sale at anywhere near those unrealistic figures.

Please don't shoot the messenger. I'm telling you the straightforward, unvarnished truth, although it may be difficult to hear. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 31, 2018 05:12 AM

Sep 14, 2018

They keep calling and calling and all i did was answer a few auestions online. Not once have i spoken or made any contact eith them personally. Guess i will have to tell them to lay off.

We really do need to unload out timeshare though. We cannot continue to keep it.

Donna R.
Sep 14, 2018

donnar583 wrote:
We really do need to unload out timeshare though. We cannot continue to keep it.

Well you're off to a good start by not using Sell My Timeshare Now. Another piece of advice is to not use any other company that claims it can "cancel" your timeshare. Is the mortgage paid off? If so, then you have a good chance to get rid of it if you're willing to put in a little time and effort.

If your unit is with Wyndham, Diamond, or Westgate, then check their respective deed back programs. For instance Wyndham has Ovation. These companies might/will charge you a fee to give back but it will be well worth it.

If your unit is not with either of these companies, then try asking the resort if it will take your unit back. Even if the resort charges you closing costs and/or the next maintenance fee, it will be a clean, reasonably cost-effective exit. You might want to state, in no uncertain terms, that you are not going to pay another nickel in maintenance fees and it would be in the best interests of all for the resort to take your unit back. You could also try advertising here on RedWeek or other reputable web sites (My Resort Network, TUG, E-Bay, etc.) that you want to give your unit away. Maybe volunteer to pay closing costs and, if really serious about giving it away, paying the next maintenance fee.

Lance C.
Sep 20, 2018

I lost a huge sum of money to the nasty scum sales people at Wyndham timeshare plans.

Brandy S.

Last edited by phyl21 on Sep 20, 2018 12:09 PM

Sep 20, 2018

brandys82 wrote:
I lost a huge sum of money to the nasty scum sales people at Wyndham timeshare plans .Out of sheer desperation i came across an honest agent, who manged to end my contract and all my money was returned to me.Ever so grateful and if you need assistance contact : {who cares?} AT G-mail Dot Comm. Big thanks to all concerned.

Sounds like just a (very lame and completely unconvincing and surely false) shill claim to me --- and one that is not likely to remain posted for long after being reported.

Big thanks right back at you --- for disappearing as rapidly as you have (briefly) appeared here.

KC
Sep 20, 2018

Ken... I reported her to Redweek .

Don P.
Sep 20, 2018

Claimstimeshare also helped me end my contract and get my fund back .. so greatful .. they are reliable and honest

ken1193 wrote:
brandys82 wrote:
I lost a huge sum of money to the nasty scum sales people at Wyndham timeshare plans .Out of sheer desperation i came across an honest agent, who manged to end my contract and all my money was returned to me.Ever so grateful and if you need assistance contact : {who cares?} AT G-mail Dot Comm. Big thanks to all concerned.

Sounds like just a (very lame and completely unconvincing and surely false) shill claim to me --- and one that is not likely to remain posted for long after being reported.

Big thanks right back at you --- for disappearing as rapidly as you have (briefly) appeared here.

Claimstimeshare are genuine and real

Dr E.
Sep 20, 2018

Either DRE23 is working together with Brandy or it's Brandy using another screen name . They are trying to get this SCAM company's name out there in this forum . Both have been reported to Redweek . Anyone who contacts this company after reading about their scam deserves to lose their hard earned money .

NEVER pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract !!!

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Sep 20, 2018 10:29 AM

Sep 20, 2018

dre23 wrote:
BogusClaimstimeshare are genuine and real

They are neither one --- and you are quite obviously just another semi-literate shill (or maybe just the same one, back with a new user name). Go away --- you're stinking up the discussion forums.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 20, 2018 12:53 PM

Nov 08, 2018

hey Ken I am trying to buy a Marriott timeshare on BMTN. I came here to see if the website is legit.

Anna P.

Last edited by phyl21 on Nov 08, 2018 11:47 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.