General Discussion

Taking the "rental" plunge

Jun 19, 2007

I am interested in utilizing Redweek and renting a timeshare for our vacation; However, I am reluctant... 1) How can I be certain that the person we rent from legitimately owns the unit... 2) How can I be certain that the timeshare resorts allow strangers to rent, etc. 3) Is the process simple and worth it.. 4) Are there risks. Thanks!

Jon V.
Jun 20, 2007

jonv4 wrote:

1) How can I be certain that the person we rent from legitimately owns the unit...

Ask for some type of proof of ownership.

How can I be certain that the timeshare resorts allow strangers to rent, etc.

Timeshare owners can rent to anyone they wish (excluding minors) as long as they own the week. Check-in is at a front desk just like a hotel and you give them your credit card number for extra charges such as phone calls or any damages that may occur. The owner should have already transferred the week to your name.

3) Is the process simple and worth it..

The process is simple and worth it, however I would recommend a rental agreement (found in the Buying, Selling and Rent forum) to be filled out by the owner and signed by you and the owner.

Are there risks.

The only risk would be if someone is trying to rent an exchange they have made via an exchange company. This is against exchange company rules. You are very wise in asking for proof of ownership to be sure that you are not renting and exchange. Other than that, I see no risks involved if a rental agreement is used.

R P.
Jun 20, 2007

jayjay wrote:
jonv4 wrote:

1) How can I be certain that the person we rent from legitimately owns the unit...

Ask for some type of proof of ownership.

How can I be certain that the timeshare resorts allow strangers to rent, etc.

Timeshare owners can rent to anyone they wish (excluding minors) as long as they own the week. Check-in is at a front desk just like a hotel and you give them your credit card number for extra charges such as phone calls or any damages that may occur. The owner should have already transferred the week to your name.

3) Is the process simple and worth it..

The process is simple and worth it, however I would recommend a rental agreement (found in the Buying, Selling and Rent forum) to be filled out by the owner and signed by you and the owner.

Are there risks.

The only risk would be if someone is trying to rent an exchange they have made via an exchange company. This is against exchange company rules. You are very wise in asking for proof of ownership to be sure that you are not renting and exchange. Other than that, I see no risks involved if a rental agreement is used.

Hey, Jayjay... I've read your other posts on the other forums, and I value your feedback. Thanks!

Jon V.
Jun 20, 2007

jonv4 wrote:
I am interested in utilizing Redweek and renting a timeshare for our vacation; However, I am reluctant... 1) How can I be certain that the person we rent from legitimately owns the unit... 2) How can I be certain that the timeshare resorts allow strangers to rent, etc. 3) Is the process simple and worth it.. 4) Are there risks. Thanks!

You've already been given some pretty good advice in response to your inquiry, but I would like to add one additional and very specific recommendation: --- DO NOT USE PAYPAL to pay for your rental!!!

While use of PayPal will guarantee that the recipient of the funds promptly gets his/her money, you as the renter (or payer) would get ABSOLUTELY NO protection in any PayPal transaction involving "non-tangible items". And make no mistake ---a rental IS just such a "non tangibles transaction". Your only guaranteee if you use PayPal to pay for your rental is to be guaranteed that your money is indeed GONE!!! PayPal is NOT your "pal".

Instead, I suggest using an escrow service as middleman for any and all money. Just my advice and opinion, but certainly worth at least what you just paid for it........ (-:

KC
Jun 20, 2007

Makes good sense, Ken. Thanks.

Jon V.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.