Sep 27, 2007

What's up with some of the crazy prices? $52,000,$20,000 etc. Why would these post and would these types of postings even bring inquiries?

Stephen C.
Jan 02, 2008

What's EVEN MORE CRAZY is recent listings for 2BR units for $25 !!! They're in the older phases,BUT,getting into ownership at a Sheraton property for ALMOST NOTHING?!

Alfred N G.
Feb 04, 2008

alfredn1 wrote:
What's EVEN MORE CRAZY is recent listings for 2BR units for $25 !!! They're in the older phases,BUT,getting into ownership at a Sheraton property for ALMOST NOTHING?!
The older phases are NOT included in the Starwood Vacation Network; you are not eligible to purchase in. Additionally, these units are currently being renovated. The cost (>$3000 per unit per week) is over and above the maintenance fee. That's why some owners are attempting to "dump" these older units. Know what you are getting before you buy and find out it is not what you expected. Better to donate the unit to Make a Wish Foundation...

Sharon H.
Feb 04, 2008

sharhealy wrote:
alfredn1 wrote:
The older phases are NOT included in the Starwood Vacation Network; you are not eligible to purchase in. Additionally, these units are currently being renovated. The cost (>$3000 per unit per week) is over and above the maintenance fee. That's why some owners are attempting to "dump" these older units. Know what you are getting before you buy and find out it is not what you expected. Better to donate the unit to Make a Wish Foundation...
Are you a Vistana owner?You state that the renovation cost is $3000.We own a Lakes LockOff that was renovated during 2007 at a cost of $1200 per unit week.Although we were at first angry,we occupied a Lakes 2BR in December,and were pleased to see the upgrades firsthand.I still feel that $1200 per unit week was exorbitant,but found the granite countertops throughout,fine furniture,3 flatscreen TV's,Bose sound system,etc.,quite satisfying.

Alfred N G.
Feb 29, 2008

I own in the Falls and yes we are being charged approx.$1200 for renovations. We are not happy and believe that maintenance fees should have taken care of this. Well, it is beyond our control. I have been an owner for 25 years and would not stay anywhere but the Falls. Do you know it is the most requested area? It has a more resort feel and it is only two stories instead of squashed in apartment type units. It is a shame we can not buy into points as it would give us more flexibility. I wonder if after they are renovated that this will change. Does anyone realize that our resort is now a Silver Crown Estate and not a gold? I love this resort but it has certainly gone downhill since Starwood took over.

Nancy M.
Jun 01, 2008

Okay, now that I've read all the postings, I would appreciate some honest opinions, if y'all would help me, please. I haven't been to Vistana for several years now, so if I purchase a unit, what are my options? Are exchanges through RCI still a possibility? If I get an older unit which doesn't qualify for Starwood, am I just locked in? I'm so confused by all the changes that have been made! Thanks, Karen

Karen A.
Jun 01, 2008

nancy2267 wrote:
I own in the Falls and yes we are being charged approx.$1200 for renovations. We are not happy and believe that maintenance fees should have taken care of this. Well, it is beyond our control. I have been an owner for 25 years and would not stay anywhere but the Falls. Do you know it is the most requested area? It has a more resort feel and it is only two stories instead of squashed in apartment type units. It is a shame we can not buy into points as it would give us more flexibility. I wonder if after they are renovated that this will change. Does anyone realize that our resort is now a Silver Crown Estate and not a gold? I love this resort but it has certainly gone downhill since Starwood took over.
Hi Nancy. It is very possible that your resort is now Silver Crown because renovations weren't made. Usually a resort is told this through the exchange co. "If renovations aren't made then....." We were charged $1250 at Polo Towers and I can tell you it was worth every penny when we saw the upgrades. Call Starwood and ask them if, after the renovations at your resort, will the classification change? Patriciagayle

Patricia T.
Jun 04, 2008

I can't understand some of the resale prices on Redweek either. In some cases (including Vistana), they must be at least as high as the developer's original prices. These sellers can't be serious. Anyone who is familiar with Redweek or similar sites knows the scoop on timeshare resale and won't be suckered. I bought a Sheraton Vistana Orlando week for about $600 on eBay this week, plus another $600 or so in closing costs. I spent just over a month observing and tracking prices to find out what was realistic for different resorts with respect to price.

Leonard B.
Jun 14, 2008

What is the web address on ebay for rentals, resales, etc. to purchase?

Thanks, Michele

Michele T.
Jun 15, 2008

For starters, go to http://search.ebay.com/timeshare.

You'll find a convenient little search box on the left hand side where you can enter the specific week, season, and location you are interested in.

I now have two eBay closings in the works. Neither has completed yet, but both sellers (cybernaut303 and endlesshorizon34, who work for the same company, Vacation Innovations) seem very professional and on the level. So far, so good.

I'd recommend working with a seller that sells timeshares regularly and has an established process with a timeshare closing company, rather than an individual seller who may not know what they are doing. I backed out of an earlier individual sale when I lost confidence in the ability of the seller to close the deal in a timely fashion.

You should also Google "timeshare resale" and take advantage of the new posting email notification service on Redweek.

I think you'll find eBay a good place to shop for timeshares. Resist the temptation to jump too soon. I watched many auctions close for resorts I was interested in before bidding, kicking myself for not acting in a few instances, but the experience gave me a good idea of how much I should pay for a particular property. Don't rush and you will be rewarded with a good deal. Also read the feedback on the sellers for auctions you are considering bidding on.

Good luck.

Leonard B.
Jun 15, 2008

michelet49 wrote:
What is the web address on ebay for rentals, resales, etc. to purchase?

Thanks, Michele

Thank you for your response. Michele

Michele T.
Jun 18, 2008

karena233 wrote:
Okay, now that I've read all the postings, I would appreciate some honest opinions, if y'all would help me, please. I haven't been to Vistana for several years now, so if I purchase a unit, what are my options? Are exchanges through RCI still a possibility? If I get an older unit which doesn't qualify for Starwood, am I just locked in? I'm so confused by all the changes that have been made! Thanks, Karen
Karen, We have owned a 2 bedroom/2 bath Vistana Cascades timeshare for 8 years and really enjoy the facility. We have exchanged our unit through RCI and found it easy to do. Orson

Orson N.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jun 19, 2008 02:00 AM

Jun 19, 2008

orsonn wrote:
karena233 wrote:
Karen, We have owned a 2 bedroom/2 bath Vistana Cascades timeshare for 8 years and really enjoy the facility. We have exchanged our unit through RCI and found it easy to do. Orson
Orson, Thanks for your input. As I've been looking through posts for Vistana as well as other resorts, I've seen many widely varying "points" numbers and wondered how those translate ... everything from under 100 to over 100,000!?!?! Again, thank you.

Karen A.
Jun 20, 2008

We first owned in Fountains II, but the lure of the SVN points program led us to trade up to the Cascades. At the time only the Lakes and Cascades sections were eligible. The sales rep talked us into another mortgage for nearly what we paid for Fountains II.

Now we hear the Fountains II is now part of SVN and we'll soon be assessed extra $$ to renovate Cascades. Talk about bad timing...

Bruce Z.
Jul 31, 2008

sharhealy wrote:
alfredn1 wrote:

Pj B.
Sep 09, 2008

I've owned a 2 bedroom unit in Cascades for the past 8 years.

We just received our notice of the renovation costs today.

The cost will be $1500+. I am really not happy with this figure. The letter I received indicated that cabinets and bathtubs were expected to last the life of the building and were not included in the maintenance reserve fees - however, televisions, carpet, paint and furnishings were. It seems that $1500.00 per owner ($78,000 for 52 weeks) would be an extremely high price to pay for granite countertops as the rest of the renovations that they are listing should fall under the annual reserve.

Vivian C.
Sep 12, 2008

Apparently they didn't go with the low bidder.

Bruce Z.
Sep 13, 2008

Hi All......I found a unit for sale for $1.00. In fact I saw 2 at that price. I just received a refurbishment price of $1626.00 to be billed in 3 installments of $542.00. I have owned in the spa for 11 years now. I thought it was bad enough how the maint. etc. every year has gone up, but now to have to pay all this !!! What can we do?? It won't be easy to sell with all this hanging over our heads. I'm sure it will be very nice when they are all done. When I go to Vistana I usually don't even stay in my unit. I have been their once. Was their something in the original contracts years ago that said we would have these refurbishment cost every so many years ??? I can't find anything on this.

Lynn E.

Last edited by lynne421 on Sep 13, 2008 09:02 AM

Sep 13, 2008

It seems that there should be something that we can do about these renovation fees. Maintenance fees are one thing, but it is my understanding that they have 17 million dollars in reserve from our maintenance fees for this refurbishment. I'm not sure why the press for a complete refurbishment of the Cascades. They could use a new paint job on the outside and some new furnishings would be nice, but I can't see where they are coming up with almost $80,000.00 per unit of refurbishment over and above the $17 million already in reserve.

Perhaps someone needs to talk to an attorney about whether or not they have a right to do this or if they need to justify these expenses more.

Vivian C.
Feb 24, 2009

WE have been owners for over 20 yrs. We do not use the timeshare much at all. We either trade it in for other vacation spots or we let family use our week. I am really upset about the price of the refurbishment. I know I could refurbish it for less then half the price we are required to pay. I wonder, Do you think someone is pocketing the money or are they using a family or friends' business to hike up the prices to get a kick back? My husband and I are retired and do not have this kind of money to throw away. WE also will not donate it to a charity. We want our investment back! When we bought into Vistana we thought all removations and furniture replacements came out of the maintenance fee. What gives? $1500. x 52 weeks =$78,000. I know that that is an inflated price! For a 2 bedroom are we crazy!!!!!!

Betsy G.

Last edited by betsyg12 on Feb 24, 2009 12:50 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.