Timeshare Exchanges

Bad Experience with RCI

Nov 29, 2007

......... a lot of exchange ideas are not available within a short time !!!

Wilfried M.
Nov 29, 2007

wilfredio wrote:
......... a lot of exchange ideas are not available within a short time !!!

RCI exchanges have been steadily diminishing and spiralling downhill in quality for some years now. They will undoubtedly continue to do so, and I personally think it will actually get much worse.

RCI is now very much focused on renting out weeks (deposited by members and/or acquired directly from developers) to the general public for big profits. Just making the $179 fee on an exchange is clearly not good enough for the new (and very different) corporate entity which is now known as "Group RCI". The fact that RCI has established (and publicly trumpeted) new alliances with SnapTravel and LeisureLink in recent months speaks for itself --- the new RCI priority and profit motive is clearly focused upon RENTALS, not member exchanges.

It's important to remember (whether we like it or not) that under the terms of their rules and and conditions, RCI can actually do whatever they choose to do with a week which they acquire through voluntary member deposit or via other developer arrangements. I generally use what I own rather than exchange anyhow, but I can say with certainty and conviction that RCI will NEVER again get a week from me.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Nov 29, 2007 02:30 PM

Nov 30, 2007

wilfredio wrote:
a lot of exchange ideas are not available within a short time !!!

I'm somwhat confused at what you mean when you say 'within a short time'. Do you mean anything in the month of December/January that you desire.

Even before RCI's reputation for members not getting good exchanges, if you wanted an exchange in a popular location, at a popular time at a specific popular resort, you would have to deposit and plan many months in advance. This has always been the case. That's one of the negative aspects of timesharing, planning vacations many months in advance to get what you want.

R P.
Dec 15, 2007

the exchange fee is $ 164.-. Obviously you have not been paying attention. I don't agree at all. You guys bought a timeshare. My I ask how much money you spend on that? If you had spend a little more time figuring out how the RCI system works you will notice that RCI is going to be a benefit to you, not a burden. Buying a timeshare and exchanging it without doing your homework is like buying a car get in it and try to drive it... without driver's licence.

Besides, it doesnot make sense not to give a week to RCI but still expect them to have a week (from another member) available to you. I know it is hard, but if you try to make sense of it... let me know.

RCI has been very good to me in the last couple of years, I'm a happy camper because I call them regularly, ask a lot of question. I only get cranky from members that don't know what they are doing.

Leapfrog F.
Dec 15, 2007

leapfrogf wrote:
the exchange fee is $ 164.-. Obviously you have not been paying attention. I don't agree at all. You guys bought a timeshare. My I ask how much money you spend on that? If you had spend a little more time figuring out how the RCI system works you will notice that RCI is going to be a benefit to you, not a burden. Buying a timeshare and exchanging it without doing your homework is like buying a car get in it and try to drive it... without driver's licence.

Besides, it doesnot make sense not to give a week to RCI but still expect them to have a week (from another member) available to you. I know it is hard, but if you try to make sense of it... let me know.

RCI has been very good to me in the last couple of years, I'm a happy camper because I call them regularly, ask a lot of question. I only get cranky from members that don't know what they are doing.

====================================

I'm not sure who you are lecturing in your post, but if you are happy with your RCI exchange experiences, that's great.

In my own 23 years of timeshare ownership (and RCI membership for almost that long as well), I have very rarely exchanged (or even attempted to exchange), since I bought what I own to use those weeks myself --- which is why I bought those specific weeks in the first place. If I misreported the RCI exchange fee by a mere $15, my apologies. RCI raises their fees often enough that it's hard for a non-exchanger to keep track...

Frankly, my belief is that the class action lawsuit filed against RCI regarding deterioration of their exchange practices in recent years represents a whole lot more people than your own "happy camper" experience. HUNDREDS of dissatisfied "attempted-exchanging" posters on numerous timeshare sites consistently report the same observations of steadily deteriorating exchange availability in recent years.

If you're a happy camper, then keep right on happy camping. Your satisfaction, however, clearly seems to be the exception, rather than the rule, at least judging by the multitude of complaints posted on various timeshare websites --- and now an actual lawsuit filed against RCI to boot...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Dec 15, 2007 12:26 PM

Jan 10, 2008

I have booked over 100+ trips using RCI, and each and everytime have gotten what I wanted at quality locations. I usually book 1 year in advance because I always travel on holiday's because its the only time my kids are out of school. I also do ongoing searches and call weekly to check on their status. Its been a benefit for us to have this ability to trade as our resort's points locations are more expensive use of points.

Lanita P.
Jan 10, 2008

lanitap wrote:
I usually book 1 year in advance because I always travel on holiday's because its the only time my kids are out of school.

Key words are BOOKED ONE YEAR IN ADVANCE. You definitely know how to play the game.

When we were exchanging timeshares via RCI, we never had any trouble getting what we wanted because we booked a year (or several months) in advance especially for low supply, high demand areas (ex. Southern California).

I don't know if the majority of RCI dissenters are waiting until the last minute to request exchanges or if RCI has really gone down hill as far as exchanges go (we no longer own any timeshares), BUT many people seem to have become disenchanted with them the last couple of years.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jan 10, 2008 05:16 AM

Jan 10, 2008

lanitap reports in part: >> I have booked over 100+ trips using RCI, and each and everytime have gotten what I wanted at quality locations.<< ================================================ That's certainly a minority viewpoint, but I am nonetheless glad for your reported satisfaction. It will be interesting to see if your view is still the same a year from now. Your contentment surely does not mirror the experiences of a whole lot of people consistently reporting (on several different timeshare sites) seeing their RCI exchange ability (and quality) steadily diminish in recent years. While I only rarely exchange, personally, I still find it very hard to believe that the lawsuit against RCI (filed over this very issue of decreasing exchange availability) is without merit. But that's ultimately for the courts to decide.

With RCI having acquired SnapTravel and Leisure Link, both events occuring within about the past four months for the sole purpose of RCI RENTING OUT weeks directly to the general public, it seems clearly inevitable that quality exchange inventory will continue to shrink in availability. The same weeks can't be (and already aren't) simultaneously available to several different markets and direct rentals are obviously much more profitable for RCI than merely collecting exchange fees from RCI members. Notable exceptions for availability are places like Orlando / Kissimmee, where there is just such a glut of timeshare facilities that there is virtually always something available there. Try exchanging with RCI for places like coastal SW Florida in winter or Hawaii (almost anytime) however, and the availability results become markedly different..."nada".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 10, 2008 05:54 AM

Jan 10, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
lanitap reports in part: >> I have booked over 100+ trips using RCI, and each and everytime have gotten what I wanted at quality locations.<< ================================================ That's certainly a minority viewpoint, but I am nonetheless glad for your reported satisfaction. It will be interesting to see if your view is still the same a year from now. Your contentment surely does not mirror the experiences of a whole lot of people consistently reporting (on several different timeshare sites) seeing their RCI exchange ability (and quality) steadily diminish in recent years. While I only rarely exchange, personally, I still find it very hard to believe that the lawsuit against RCI (filed over this very issue of decreasing exchange availability) is without merit. But that's ultimately for the courts to decide.

With RCI having acquired SnapTravel and Leisure Link, both events occuring within about the past four months for the sole purpose of RCI RENTING OUT weeks directly to the general public, it seems clearly inevitable that quality exchange inventory will continue to shrink in availability. The same weeks can't be (and already aren't) simultaneously available to several different markets and direct rentals are obviously much more profitable for RCI than merely collecting exchange fees from RCI members. Notable exceptions for availability are places like Orlando / Kissimmee, where there is just such a glut of timeshare facilities that there is virtually always something available there. Try exchanging with RCI for places like coastal SW Florida in winter or Hawaii (almost anytime) however, and the availability results become markedly different..."nada".

============== Ken, I've only been a Points member of RCI for a couple years, so I'm not too disenchanted with it yet. My biggest issue with RCI is the "nickel-and-diming" us with all the fees. I've been happy with my exchanges, but then again I'm not too picky. I try to book at the start of the 10 month window and I never look for a specific resort, though I try to book Gold Crown if possible. However there does seem to be an abundence of lower quality resorts. Unfortunately, some places like SW Florida do not have to many Points resorts available (5 out of 50 at last check).

I had mixed experiences with reps, but I do want to give kudos when applicable. I talked to one rep about changing my unit from a studio to a 1BR, on an existing reservation. Base on RCI's written policy, I would've had to cancel the first reservation and re-book a second time for the 1BR unit. This would've resulted in a loss of Points and additional fees. She graciously made an exception and only "charged" me the additional points required for the 1BR.

Mike GO PATS

Mike N.
Jan 11, 2008

I agree with Mike, when I make a trade I do it 1 to 2 years in advance and am not picky. I usually ask for several locations (i.e. for next Christmas I asked for VT,Canada,MA,Wisconsin Dells,VA,PA) and usually always search with 3 or more locations and a wide range of dates. I got Hawaii this year while calling and checking on an ongoing search and said "Do you have any unit in Hawaii anytime in the next 2 years?" I got lucky and secured a week in August of this year. Oh, I am also using a studio, blue week for all of my searches. I do have friends that have complained and when I tell them to do it this way they are usually rather successful. Before my friend would ask for a specific place and specific resorts and search within 3 - 6 months from travel dates.

Lanita P.

Last edited by lanitap on Jan 11, 2008 03:21 AM

Jan 11, 2008

lanitap wrote:
I agree with Mike, when I make a trade I do it 1 to 2 years in advance and am not picky. I usually ask for several locations (i.e. for next Christmas I asked for VT,Canada,MA,Wisconsin Dells,VA,PA) and usually always search with 3 or more locations and a wide range of dates. I got Hawaii this year while calling and checking on an ongoing search and said "Do you have any unit in Hawaii anytime in the next 2 years?" I got lucky and secured a week in August of this year. Oh, I am also using a studio, blue week for all of my searches. I do have friends that have complained and when I tell them to do it this way they are usually rather successful. Before my friend would ask for a specific place and specific resorts and search within 3 - 6 months from travel dates.
============================================== I'll be very interested to see what you have to report on "successes" a year from now, as the RCI world is changing rapidly and dramatically. I'm willing to bet that your blue studio won't get you diddly this time next year. Yesterday's paper does not contain todays' news.....

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 11, 2008 05:14 AM

Jan 11, 2008

lanitap wrote:

lanitap, you also know how to play the exchanging game, congrats :o). Having several location options and dates and performing ongoing searches helps tremendously when requesting an exchange and doing so a year or more in advance is key for hard to get places.

Most people don't care to plan that far in advance for an exchange, but experienced timesharers know that good exchanges (low supply - high demand areas) are snapped up very quckly.

I don't believe anything will change in the future as long as you continue doing what you have in the past. It's all about knowing how to play the game.

I remember when we first got into timesharing I wanted something in Key West (1) or SW Florida (2) in May. I didn't begin my search very far in adance (maybe 3-5 months). Of course, nothing was available in Key West (low supply - high demand) and only one non-rated resort was available in SW Florida (Bonita Beach), which we took although we were exchanging a gold crown resort for a non rated resort. I then figured out that the key was to deposit very early and start looking for what I wanted. BTW, this was several years ago so I really don't think much has changed.

R P.
Jan 11, 2008

Another possible reason for people not getting exchanges they prefer is that many people seem to want the same thing - popular locations, resorts, timeframes (ex. summer or holidays when kids are out of school) etc.

There are just so many exchanges that can be perfomed depending on how many weeks have been deposited by owners, and in very popular locations many owners use or rent their weeks. People have unrealistic expectations as to what they can get in an exchange, however I blame timeshare developer salespeople for this as the first thing they do is drag out the RCI and/or II wishbooks and tell people they can go to any resort in that book, which is a lie, since it depends on one's trade power and supply and demand.

R P.
Jan 24, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
leapfrogf wrote:

====================================

I'm not sure who you are lecturing in your post, but if you are happy with your RCI exchange experiences, that's great.

In my own 23 years of timeshare ownership (and RCI membership for almost that long as well), I have very rarely exchanged (or even attempted to exchange), since I bought what I own to use those weeks myself --- which is why I bought those specific weeks in the first place. If I misreported the RCI exchange fee by a mere $15, my apologies. RCI raises their fees often enough that it's hard for a non-exchanger to keep track...

Frankly, my belief is that the class action lawsuit filed against RCI regarding deterioration of their exchange practices in recent years represents a whole lot more people than your own "happy camper" experience. HUNDREDS of dissatisfied "attempted-exchanging" posters on numerous timeshare sites consistently report the same observations of steadily deteriorating exchange availability in recent years.

If you're a happy camper, then keep right on happy camping. Your satisfaction, however, clearly seems to be the exception, rather than the rule, at least judging by the multitude of complaints posted on various timeshare websites --- and now an actual lawsuit filed against RCI to boot...

I agree that RCI has declined in service. We were sold a time share based on red white and blue weeks. We were told unless we spend another $3000 to upgrade to a points system we would only be able to choose from the red white and blue weeks that were deposited. We will never deposit with RCI again.

Brian B.
Jan 24, 2008

brianb297 states in part: >> We will never deposit with RCI again. <<

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard or read those exact words spoken or written in the past two years, I could pay all of my timeshare maintenance fee bills and have enough left over to go out to fancy dinners a dozen or so times.....

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 24, 2008 02:45 PM

Jan 25, 2008

ken1193 wrote:

My feelings are the same for next year as I have booked Vermont (Smuggler's), Massenutten (feb/Jan - President's week), Los Vegas, Hawaii (thankgiving Week), Wisconsin Dells for Christmas and of course Florida (Pompano). I did book these vacations on searches done last year, but when you do it that way you get what you want. All of my bookings are for holidays and they are 2-bedroom units that get good reviews. Oh, and I booked them with a studio/blue week. Like I said, all the vacations I plan a year or more ahead, I get what I want. When I want to book last minute, I don't usually get so lucky. Like I am booking for Memorial day weekend, then I will go for Mexico/Canada/Florida - places with a lot of timeshares or that are a bit off season. Also, I am not that picky, and plan way in advance. I do agree that sales people mislead you, but if you spend time learning to work what you had, then you won't be so unhappy with your purchase. I own several timeshares with different companies (sheraton, wyndam, presidential resort) and all of them have gotten me excellent trades when I book them in advance. I have also seen great locations and prices on RCI's Last Chance/Extra Vacation offerings. Also, just another tip. If you see something on Extra Vacation for under $450 than its likely that you can ask for that resort with your trade (ask for the specific date/resort id that you saw online for an Extra Vacation). I have done that sometimes when I want to travel last minute and want to save $250 on the weekly price.

Lanita P.

Last edited by lanitap on Jan 25, 2008 06:24 AM

Mar 06, 2008

lanitap wrote:
I banked a week last year and requested Maui for July 1 to Aug. 31 2008. I have had no response from RCI. I tried to see what I could find by trying to scearch more local areas for the balance of the year. I kept getting messages that I could only search specific dates since I wanted to be a flexible as posible I was truing a wide range. I finally gave up and e-mailed RCI, they tell me I can only scearch in 10 week travel date. This is NUTs, so I guess the only way to find something furture out is to call them. The problem I have is I want to compare and see what is available etc.

They have improved their "rental" program and you can search it but their exchange is very limited. I agree the $$$$ for them is in rental. This is the first time I banked a week and probably my last with RCI. The problem I see with RedWeek is no one really banks they are all provisional, so how can we find anything if no one is brave enough to just list it as an exchange? Any ideas? Also their book is so out of date you have to sit on the computer just to see what is in their inventory but you have no idea of availability.

Patsy D.
Mar 06, 2008

patsyd3 wrote:
lanitap wrote:
I banked a week last year and requested Maui for July 1 to Aug. 31 2008. I have had no response from RCI. I tried to see what I could find by trying to scearch more local areas for the balance of the year. I kept getting messages that I could only search specific dates since I wanted to be a flexible as posible I was truing a wide range. I finally gave up and e-mailed RCI, they tell me I can only scearch in 10 week travel date. This is NUTs, so I guess the only way to find something furture out is to call them. The problem I have is I want to compare and see what is available etc.

They have improved their "rental" program and you can search it but their exchange is very limited. I agree the $$$$ for them is in rental. This is the first time I banked a week and probably my last with RCI. The problem I see with RedWeek is no one really banks they are all provisional, so how can we find anything if no one is brave enough to just list it as an exchange? Any ideas? Also their book is so out of date you have to sit on the computer just to see what is in their inventory but you have no idea of availability.

========== The 10 week window is how far RCI will search from the desired checkin date. It's a bit tedious, but the only way you can search further into the future is by constantly changing your checkin date by 2 months (or 10 weeks) There are a few RedWeek exchanges for Hawaii, but I don't know if any of them are in Maui. Also at 2000+ points, you might have to shell out some extra case anyway.

Mike N.
Apr 06, 2011

I agree, I have been pleased with RCI.

I plan ahead, do searches when necessary, talk to RCI, read the reviews on RCI.com and have been pleased with my results and the resorts.

If you do not do your research and plan ahead, you are asking for trouble. Check and double check before and when booking and call RCI for help if needed. I have never had anyone be rude and when they did not know something, they found out.

If you wait until the last minute to exchange, you will be out of luck and dissapointed.

William H.
Jun 04, 2011

"I agree that RCI has declined in service. We were sold a time share based on red white and blue weeks. We were told unless we spend another $3000 to upgrade to a points system we would only be able to choose from the red white and blue weeks that were deposited. We will never deposit with RCI again." =====================================

At the time you speak of above, ALL weeks in RCI were either Red, White, or blue, so what was the problem with that?? Just that what you bought was not Red, perhaps? As I understand it, however, the Red/White/Blue system is OUT. Each week deposited with RCI gets a number rating which works rather like the RedWeek exchange tried to do. That is, if you exchange a #10 for a #7, you get #3 in "change" left over which can be combined with other deposits later. If you give something worth more than what you accept (because a studio is all that is available for your dates and location), you get credit for the excess instead of losing it. Being able to combine deposits will let you exchange for something one of your normal weeks could not "Pull". In fact, you can now see everything that is in the system, not just resorts at your own quality level. If you have not visited the RCI site lately, go check this out. There are tutorials for Weeks owner and Points owners. I'm Weeks, so Points may have differences. There are big changes and we will need to re-learn a lot about RCI! MD

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Jun 04, 2011 05:48 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.