General Discussion

Using Redweek Exchange Points

May 10, 2009

I would like to create a "wishlist" for a 2-3 week period for next January or early February (2010) to use the 1015 points I received when I "sold" my Nov 2008 week last June (08). Is it unrealistic to try to get a week in Hawaii, possibly adding some purchased points in order to do so? I am not even sure how I go about trying to do this. I was so thrilled to be able to sell the timeshare last Fall, that I was very casual about depositing my week w/o creating what seem to be "provisional" arrangements prior to just selling it off to Redweek. Am I just crazy to think I can use it for a place in Hawaii--or should I just try to go through VRBO or HomeAway and pay to rent? by kathyk117

Kathy K.
May 11, 2009

kathyk117 wrote:
I would like to create a "wishlist" for a 2-3 week period for next January or early February (2010) to use the 1015 points I received when I "sold" my Nov 2008 week last June (08). Is it unrealistic to try to get a week in Hawaii, possibly adding some purchased points in order to do so? I am not even sure how I go about trying to do this. I was so thrilled to be able to sell the timeshare last Fall, that I was very casual about depositing my week w/o creating what seem to be "provisional" arrangements prior to just selling it off to Redweek. Am I just crazy to think I can use it for a place in Hawaii--or should I just try to go through VRBO or HomeAway and pay to rent? by kathyk117
All I can say is "good luck". Right now there are less than 10 places available in all of the US for Jan/Feb 2010, plus a few others in Mexico and the DR.

You can put in a request to get notified when deposits are made to various places, hopefully something will pop up. Unfortunately 1015 pts is not a lot in the whole scheme of things. You may have to add several hundred dollars or deposit another unit. More than 1/2 of the Hawaiian unts currently listed are beyond the limit for you to even buy points.

You painfully discovered the one flaw in the RedWeek exchange program...too many provisional deposits.

Mike N.
May 11, 2009

kathyk117 wrote:

I'm somewhat confused .... you said you 'sold' your timeshare and received 1015 Redweek points for doing so. If you sold your timeshare you would not receive any Redweek points as the timeshare now belongs to someone else and any points for deposit would belong to them, not you .... please enlighten me.

R P.
May 11, 2009

kathyk117 wrote:
I was so thrilled to be able to sell the timeshare last Fall, that I was very casual about depositing my week w/o creating what seem to be "provisional" arrangements prior to just selling it off to Redweek.

Redweek doesn't buy weeks .... they are merely a listing company for people who wish to buy, sell, rent or deposit their week for an exchange into Redweek's system. I'm more confused than ever now.

Did you actually mean you deposited your week with Redweek, not sold your week to anyone?

R P.
May 11, 2009

Kathy,

All that was listed in you last "post" was your initial post and jayjay's first reply.

If you tried to answer jayjay's question (we are both a bit confused), they post your reply again.

Mike N.
May 12, 2009

Yes--I deposted it w/Redweek! Kathy

Kathy K.
May 13, 2009

kathyk117 wrote:
I would like to create a "wishlist" for a 2-3 week period for next January or early February (2010) to use the 1015 points I received when I "sold" my Nov 2008 week last June (08). Is it unrealistic to try to get a week in Hawaii, possibly adding some purchased points in order to do so? I am not even sure how I go about trying to do this.

Okay, now that we have the mystery solved of you depositing your week into the Redweek system and not selling it ..... you can use your 1015 points to secure a Hawaii week and pay the difference between the Hawaiian points and your points. In other words if the Hawaii week you want is 2500 points, you would pay $1485 to Redweek.

R P.
May 14, 2009

jayjay wrote:
Okay, now that we have the mystery solved of you depositing your week into the Redweek system and not selling it ..... you can use your 1015 points to secure a Hawaii week and pay the difference between the Hawaiian points and your points. In other words if the Hawaii week you want is 2500 points, you would pay $1485 to Redweek.

Unfortunately, she can ony purchase 50% of the points required. So if she has 1015 points, she can only buy 1015 points for a total of 2030. This might not be enough to get into many Hawaiian resorts. She may want to consider depositing her NEXT years unit as well.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on May 14, 2009 07:04 AM

May 14, 2009

mike1536 wrote:
Unfortunately, she can ony purchase 50% of the points required. So if she has 1015 points, she can only buy 1015 points for a total of 2030. This might not be enough to get into many Hawaiian resorts. She may want to consider depositing her NEXT years unit as well.

Thanks Mike for the clarification about buying Redweek points .... I wasn't aware that you could only buy the amount of points your owned week gets in Redweek's exchange system.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.