Ask RedWeek

NEED TO RETURN TIMESHARE

Apr 30, 2014

I would like to deed back my Wyndham of Cypress Palms resort in Orlando. Do you have any idea of the address where I would send my letter to ask if they would deed back my timeshare? What should I say in my letter to hopefully get them to take back the timeshare.

Thank You.

Kathy P.
May 01, 2014

kathyv27 wrote:
I would like to deed back my Wyndham of Cypress Palms resort in Orlando. Do you have any idea of the address where I would send my letter to ask if they would deed back my timeshare? What should I say in my letter to hopefully get them to take back the timeshare.

Thank You.

I would contact the resort's Home Owners' Association (HOA). Do not ask some receptionist on the phone as he would not have the authority.

Remember, some resorts will take a deed back and others won't. Sometimes they will say "Yes" today but "No" next month so don't give up trying. Also remember that some resorts' HOAs will take the deed back if you agree to pay closing costs and perhaps the next maintenance fee.

One thing you might want to mention in your letter is that, come hell or high water, you're going to get rid of your timeshare so it would be in the best interests of the HOA to accept the deed back amicably rather than go through the process of foreclosure.

Just watch out for the many scams and shady operations out there that claim they will "cancel" your timeshare if you pay them an upfront fee.

Lance C.
May 01, 2014

From another timeshare forum:

Wyndham taking back deeds

"Yes, they will, under certain circumstances. Since I was out of work for 2 months, I am 2 months behind on MFs. I called Wyndham to see what we can do, they can only work out payment plans. BUT, they have a plan called the "Customer Assistance Program". If the MFs are a hardship, they MAY take the timeshare back once the payments are up to date and the mortgage is paid off. But, not all timeshares qualify. This is NOT for those who can afford the MFs but simply want out".

"Wyndham has recently started a Customer Assistance Program. Please call Financial Services to see if you qualify for the program. You may contact Financial Services at 888-739-4022, Monday - Friday, 8:00am to 7:00 pm EST.

We value your ownership and want to ensure that you, your family and friends fully enjoy all that your vacation ownership with Wyndham Vacation Resorts has to offer. We invite you to join us online by visiting our web site www.wyndhamvacationresorts.com. You will find the most up-to-date information about your ownership, special discounts, new resorts and reserve your next truly memorable vacation experience.

If there is anything further that we may help you with, please feel free to contact Loan Servicing at 888-739-4016, Monday - Friday, 6:00 am to 4:00 pm PST, or by e-mail at cemservices@wyndhamvo.com".

Thank you, Account Controls and Administration Wyndham Consumer Finance

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on May 01, 2014 08:35 AM

May 01, 2014

Thanks so much for your reply, I will give Wyndham a call.

Kathy P.
Oct 07, 2014

I would like to deedback my Westgate TS. How do I get this process started?

Any help is greatly appreciated, D

Diane L.
Oct 07, 2014

First thing is to contact your home resort. Make sure you get someone who deals with deed backs. Explain your situation and advise them that is beneficial for them work with you rather then spend thousands of dollars and loss of maintenance fees if they choose to be stubborn. Hopefully they will work with you.

You have to be current with your maintenance fees and assessments. They may require you pay next years MF and the expenses for filing the paperwork but that is the cost of doing business. You will reap the benefits of no more ever increasing MF and assessments. I got rid of two timeshares this way and it is a huge relief not dealing with them anymore. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Don P.
Oct 07, 2014

I'll add further to Don's advice. There are a lot of scam operations that look for people in your situation. They claim they can "cancel" your timeshare, sue the resort or salesman, etc. There's no need for any third party to get involved in the process. Dealing directly with the resort like Don P. advised should do the trick.

Lance C.
Oct 08, 2014

Lance, myself and others in here are advising people to avoid scams and we hope to give you options to dispose of your unwanted timeshares. If some of these options don't work keep coming back and hopefully someone will find the right answer for you. NEVER pay anyone money upfront to sell or take your timeshare from you. Like Lance stated there are scammers lurking out there preying desperate owners. Keep trying like I did and I finally got rid of two timeshares. I made it my priority every day to get rid of them and persistence paid off.

Don P.
Nov 17, 2014

Helping Timeshare Owners, LLC has contacted me to assist me in the cancellation of my timeshare. This service is provided by a 3rd party associate called HELP4TSO. Has anyone been contacted and what was your experience?

I've been scamed once that's enough?

Arlene174

Arlene G.
Nov 18, 2014

It's a SCAM !!!

Don P.
Nov 18, 2014

arlene174 wrote:
I've been scamed once that's enough?

Well then don't get scammed again. By the way, this company's claim is bogus. You cannot "cancel" a timeshare. Timeshares are deeded real estate like your house or condo. If you do not want your house any longer, no one can "cancel" your house. Someone can help you find a buyer for it so that you no longer own it but you cannot cancel a house.

At best, what these questionable companies do is negotiate with the resort's Homeowners' Association (HOA) to take back ownership of your unit. If the company is successful in doing so, then you will be out from ownership of your unit. But these companies can not force the HOA to take back ownership, so there is no guarantee of these services.

Lance C.
Mar 04, 2015

My timeshare is paid off just pay MF's. Called Westgate told them I am no longer making any payments to them. They offered me a quit deed form but will not send documents until the TAF (administrative fee) is paid first. It has to be done by credit card, debit card or check over the phone- it can not be mailed. Is this another scam to get $ or is this the process most timeshare companies use- Pay up front?

donp196 wrote:
First thing is to contact your home resort. Make sure you get someone who deals with deed backs. Explain your situation and advise them that is beneficial for them work with you rather then spend thousands of dollars and loss of maintenance fees if they choose to be stubborn. Hopefully they will work with you.

You have to be current with your maintenance fees and assessments. They may require you pay next years MF and the expenses for filing the paperwork but that is the cost of doing business. You will reap the benefits of no more ever increasing MF and assessments. I got rid of two timeshares this way and it is a huge relief not dealing with them anymore. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

Cindy P.
Mar 04, 2015

Dave- you seem very knowledgeable about TS's. I believe I have seen you post in a forum about Westgate. My TS is paid off just pay MF's. I called Westgate told them I can no longer pay and will not pay anymore. The offered me a Quit Deed Claim but I have to pay up front the TAF fee which they did reduce. It has to be done by credit care, check over phone or debit card. Is this just a scam to get $ ? I am very skeptical, they will not send form until the fee is first processed. They will not accept check that is mailed.

davek194 wrote:
jayjay please get your facts correct. Foreclosure due to non payment of a loan is NOT a foregone conclusion. It IS DEFINATELY one of the potential outcomes, but there are others such as a WDIL = warranty deed in lieu (of foreclosure). This basically forgives the outstanding loan and reverts the TS back to the owner. (NOT the same as a deed-back). It can result in a tax liability to the payee (in the US) depending on the amount foregiven and the current value of the property. Westgate (and SOME other TS owners) use this route as a means to avoid their costs associated with foreclosure since they don't report regular loan activities to the credit agencies as part of their normal course of business.

Cindy P.
Mar 04, 2015

cindyp277 wrote:
My TS is paid off just pay MF's. I called Westgate told them I can no longer pay and will not pay anymore. The offered me a Quit Deed Claim but I have to pay up front the TAF fee which they did reduce. It has to be done by credit care, check over phone or debit card. Is this just a scam to get $ ? I am very skeptical, they will not send form until the fee is first processed. They will not accept check that is mailed.

This actually sounds legitimate if you actually contacted Westgate. Had you contacted some third party about this such as a law firm or a supposed timeshare cancellation company, then I would say avoid them.

This is pretty standard now for timeshare companies and resorts to take units back from owners. They usually require the mortgage to be paid off, the maintenance fees to be up to date, and often ask the owner to pay closing costs (about $250) plus the next maintenance fee.

If it is indeed Westgate that is offering to take the unit back and requiring that you pay the closing costs and maintenance fees upfront, I would suggest jumping at this idea. Most timeshare veterans would strongly suggest getting rid of anything Westgate if you can do so rather painlessly.

Again, make doubly sure that it is officially Westgate that you are in contact with and not some suspicious third party.

Lance C.
Mar 04, 2015

It is legit if you are dealing directly with Westgate. I gave back two timeshares that way but not with Westgate. It is true that I had to send them a fee to process the transactions but it was minimal and everything was completed in a short time. I have copies of the quit claim deeds filed with the county clerks. I have been free of my timeshares since 2011. Just make sure you are dealing directly with Westgate. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Mar 04, 2015 02:41 PM

Mar 04, 2015

Thank you lancec13 & Donp- this is the email I received after calling them and asking for a formal letter to be sent to me (I deleted their names and my acct #). Does this language seem ligit? will this release me from all obligations? and is there more to the process - it says to get this process started, should I be worried about anything else coming up that could cost more? cindyp277

Good Afternoon, Thank you for your interest in......... limited time option for the Voluntary Deed Back Program (VDB). We want to fulfill the request you made for ownership # as quickly and promptly as possible. Your account was approved for this option since all requirements were met and a Timeshare Administrative Fee (TAF) will be required in order to process this transfer. The TAF is dependent on several factors including, but not limited to, costs related to the transfer and the current supply and demand of similar Developer Inventory. Once we process the TAF, we will mail out a Quit Claim Deed to get the process started.

This will release you from any and all contract obligations. I look forward to your questions and email so we can get this process started. Thank you so much for your patience.

Cindy P.

Last edited by cindyp278 on Mar 04, 2015 06:09 PM

Mar 05, 2015

As long as you are dealing directly with Westgate there should be no problem. You might want to respond quickly before the window of opportunity closes. Like I stated before deal directly with Westgate. The fee is based on what you and Westgate agree upon.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Mar 05, 2015 07:31 AM

May 11, 2015

hello i have a carriage hills resort time share and i really wont to give it back as i have retired and don't use it now, i would like to see if your attorney can help me my timeshare is in toronto canada,

thanks for your help.

Ron T.
May 12, 2015

All that attorneys really do is negotiate with the resort to take your unit back. That's something you can do yourself for a lot less money. Try contacting the resort and explain your situation - why taking the unit back would be in the best interests of all parties involved. If the resort or its HOA sees that it will not be getting any more money from you, it might amicably take the unit back.

Lance C.
May 12, 2015

There are a few reputable companies that will help with timeshare cancellations. My parents were sucked into one way back when and due to a language barrier didn't understand what they were getting into. They used American Consumer Credit who works with an attorney and were able to have him review their contract and sales practices and get the contract cancelled through them. I'd be happy to pass on the contact information if you'd like it.

Diana O.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.