Ask RedWeek

Interval international non-rental claus

Oct 29, 2012

kathyw84 wrote:
I beg to differ with many of you!!!! I am not "slime", and have not done this with a ton of weeks or even "12" weeks year after year. I just read all of these posts and am shocked at how quickly some of you judge others in such a negative manner. I just posted a rental a few weeks ago for an "off week" at the Marriott at Myrtle Beach which we had traded our prime Hawaii property for just because my husband and I wanted to go to the Myrtle Beach property. However, my mom's health is not real good and we have since decided we better try and rent it because we aren't sure whether or not we should leave her. Because we tried to rent this on II ONE time (first time, not slime, and not repeat offenders to all of you judgmental people!) and we weren't aware of all of the rules since we joined II in 1994 and have not read the rules very often, we now received an email from II telling us that we had to remove our rental posting. (We did so immediately.) While I don't agree AT ALL with II's rule and may even be looking for another exchange company even though we have been members for 18 years, I also have learned what SOME of my fellow Red Week owners are really like (such as Rond) AND I surely hope that I never rent or purchase from those of you who posted such negative judements about people you don't even know! (We have been members for many years and have rented out our own properties to RedWeek members and have rented properties from other members but haven't read these blogs until now, so am just learning what some people are like.) Saddened by what I have read from some of you....hope you are ready for people to call you slime when you don't deserve it!

kathy, you clearly didn't know II Rules and Regulations concerning rentals of exchanges ..... that's why we post them here .... II caught your ad to rent your exchange and demanded that you take it down .... you were lucky since there have been II member accounts banned for such rental ads.

And dond clearly posted above that it was the people that made this a commercial enterprise that was what he was referring to .... he was not referring to you (since you didn't know, however II caught it).

Don't blame the messenger .... there are THOSE that do take advantage (if they can get away with it) to rent exchanges.

BTW, I guess i missed the word "slime" in anyone's post.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Oct 29, 2012 08:08 AM

Oct 29, 2012

alldolledup wrote:
Some of those prime weeks, you want to grab, are weeks other members deposit Some of those prime properties will disappear from RCI and II completely because people can rent the on Redweek and then pay someone else for a week they want somewhere else, without the cost and interference from II and RCI (I own Aruba properties which will not become available anymore to anyone unless RCI and II change their stupid policy). I for one will never put my good properties in anymore. If RCI holds some for rental and does so, why should owners not be able to do that too.

As was posted above it's RCI and II's Rules and Regulations that you cannot rent or sell an exchange. These rules will never change so maybe you should be looking around for an independent exchange company that will permit you to rent exchanges .... I believe DAE permits this ..... or you could merely post an ad to rent what you outright own.

R P.
Oct 29, 2012

Since you indicate the prior poster is slime and I am the prior poster, I assume you are implying I am renting weeks I get thru RCI or II. Absolutely not true!! I own my weeks. I rty to rent my own weeks and for the good ones I would rahter get just my maintenance fee than put them in RCI or II for you people who bought junk for little money and then want the more expensive weeks to use. Personally Rond I not only think you are Slime yourself but more of an opinionated jerk!! Don'r rent from me. I don't want your business.

Jakes mom
Oct 29, 2012

Maybe we all need to go to our business meetings and get things changed by majority owner vote.

jayjay wrote:
alldolledup wrote:
Some of those prime weeks, you want to grab, are weeks other members deposit Some of those prime properties will disappear from RCI and II completely because people can rent the on Redweek and then pay someone else for a week they want somewhere else, without the cost and interference from II and RCI (I own Aruba properties which will not become available anymore to anyone unless RCI and II change their stupid policy). I for one will never put my good properties in anymore. If RCI holds some for rental and does so, why should owners not be able to do that too.

As was posted above it's RCI and II's Rules and Regulations that you cannot rent or sell an exchange. These rules will never change so maybe you should be looking around for an independent exchange company that will permit you to rent exchanges .... I believe DAE permits this ..... or you could merely post an ad to rent what you outright own.

John F.
Oct 29, 2012

We have 12 dream weeks we would like to be able to rent out just for maint. fees. we will never use them . We are with KGI.

alldolledup wrote:
I disagree with your blaming Redweek.How would redweek know if the week you rent is II or RCI? It is your own responsibility.

I strongly disagree with II and RCI policies though. You still pay for the maintenances; you also pay their exchange fees ($199) and their cost to belong to their company and guest fees.. You should be able to do whatever you want with the week you deposit and the one you get in the exchange. This is why we need another avenue other than the money hungry RCI and II exchange companies.

Don't deposit with them anymore. Put your week on redweek directly and trade with another Redweek owner. Screw the exchange companies.

John F.
Oct 30, 2012

"Slime" was in Rond's post. That is the reason I referred to Rond. I do not believe that it is ever effective to resort to name-calling; I was insulted and I would hope that people can write on these blogs without lowering themselves to such behavior.

jayjay wrote:
kathyw84 wrote:
I beg to differ with many of you!!!! I am not "slime", and have not done this with a ton of weeks or even "12" weeks year after year. I just read all of these posts and am shocked at how quickly some of you judge others in such a negative manner. I just posted a rental a few weeks ago for an "off week" at the Marriott at Myrtle Beach which we had traded our prime Hawaii property for just because my husband and I wanted to go to the Myrtle Beach property. However, my mom's health is not real good and we have since decided we better try and rent it because we aren't sure whether or not we should leave her. Because we tried to rent this on II ONE time (first time, not slime, and not repeat offenders to all of you judgmental people!) and we weren't aware of all of the rules since we joined II in 1994 and have not read the rules very often, we now received an email from II telling us that we had to remove our rental posting. (We did so immediately.) While I don't agree AT ALL with II's rule and may even be looking for another exchange company even though we have been members for 18 years, I also have learned what SOME of my fellow Red Week owners are really like (such as Rond) AND I surely hope that I never rent or purchase from those of you who posted such negative judements about people you don't even know! (We have been members for many years and have rented out our own properties to RedWeek members and have rented properties from other members but haven't read these blogs until now, so am just learning what some people are like.) Saddened by what I have read from some of you....hope you are ready for people to call you slime when you don't deserve it!

kathy, you clearly didn't know II Rules and Regulations concerning rentals of exchanges ..... that's why we post them here .... II caught your ad to rent your exchange and demanded that you take it down .... you were lucky since there have been II member accounts banned for such rental ads.

And dond clearly posted above that it was the people that made this a commercial enterprise that was what he was referring to .... he was not referring to you (since you didn't know, however II caught it).

Don't blame the messenger .... there are THOSE that do take advantage (if they can get away with it) to rent exchanges.

Kathy W.
Oct 30, 2012

Jayjay -

I just responded to you and now read through the most recent posts and see that alldolledup is now also calling me "slime" plus a "jerk." As a professional and college professor of communication, I think I will be looking for blogs that don't entertain this level of communication. I came on this blog to find out what others are thinking because I didn't know about this rule. While I very much appreciate your approach to your posts jayjay, I think others (rond and alldolledup, for example) can ruin a blog very quickly when this type of name calling becomes acceptable. My best to you jayjay - by the way, I would be happy to rent from you and to you and to and from anyone else who treats these blogs as a way to help people, as you have stated. Have a great day everyone - even those of you who call me slime and a jerk because I innocently posted one timeshare week for rent because of my mother's health.

jayjay wrote:
kathyw84 wrote:

Kathy W.
Oct 30, 2012

Hi, You know the rules are getting so complicated it is driving away people that have been long time members. I for one am thinking about just getting out of time share owning all together. I had owned 2 time shares and just sold one of them and bought into a vacation club. I have not used it yet but I am suppose to be able to pay only when I go. No maintence fees and can do what I want with it. I can rent it give it away ect. They even let me put the kids as owners on it, so they can also use it or rent it ect. If it works out as good as it suppose too I may sell the other timeshare. I would like to hear from others that are in Vacations Clubs as to how they like them.

Darlene G.
Oct 30, 2012

alldolledup wrote:
Since you indicate the prior poster is slime and I am the prior poster, I assume you are implying I am renting weeks I get thru RCI or II. Absolutely not true!! I own my weeks. I rty to rent my own weeks and for the good ones I would rahter get just my maintenance fee than put them in RCI or II for you people who bought junk for little money and then want the more expensive weeks to use. Personally Rond I not only think you are Slime yourself but more of an opinionated jerk!! Don'r rent from me. I don't want your business.

alldoledup,

WOW! Some people here have really thin skin! First, upon review, I fail to see where you have a post that immediately precedes one of mine. Secondly, there were many prior posts in this thread. I did not indicate any one post I was referring to.

The title on this thread reads "Interval international non-rental claus" (sic)

The context here is critical! I repeatedly state that you can do whatever you want with weeks you OWN (subject to that properties rules) and give examples of friends who do that. Good for you! I do the same on occasion. Rent them, give them as gifts, barter with them, deposit them or even USE them to your satisfaction. I have also donated time to the Make a Wish Foundation. (Time to use, NOT to try to saddle them with an ownership I did not want.)

Again, I will say, my issue is with the people that rent out EXCHANGED weeks from RCI or II for profit or as a commercial enterprise. That is all. Plain and simple. These individuals clearly violate II and RCI rules. If you want to consider yourself part of this group, that is your prerogative. From what you have said, I would not include you in that group and thus the reference to slime would not apply to you. I have also said that owners who rent out of necessity, for various reasons, once or twice I have no issue with either. (Kathy's is a good example) As suggested by someone above, I would encourage owners, who think they may have the need to cancel, to obtain travel insurance to help in those circumstances. I do that, as standard practice, anywhere I think it is likely weather, such as a hurricane or blizzard, may affect my intended travel.

You imply, since the post seems to be directed at me, that I have "bought junk for little money and then want the more expensive weeks to use". That could not be further from the truth, but you would have no idea if it is! You don't know me, the resorts I own at or my usage patterns. Talk about hypocrisy!

You are entitled to your opinion, so is any [one] walking down the street.

Ron D.

Last edited by rond186 on Oct 30, 2012 08:34 AM

Oct 30, 2012

alldolledup wrote:

I still haven't seen where anyone called anyone else slime, however even if rond called someone slime .... it wasn't you. He was referring to (if he did so) .... those that snag the very best exchanges then rent them out for a profit .... you're not in that category.

However, it's become known to the two big exchange companies that some people will try to do this .... that's why they monitor timeshare rental sites and Ebay and have begun to catch those that abuse their exchange systems.

I remember in the old days, before the two big exchange companies cracked down on rental of exchanges, that you would see exchanges for rent or for sell all the time on Ebay.

It would seem that since you own a week that you could do anything you want with that week (and you can), but you cannot deposit an owned and exchanged week then rent it out or sell it.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Oct 30, 2012 08:07 AM

Oct 30, 2012

jayjay wrote:
I still haven't seen where anyone called anyone else slime, however even if rond called someone slime .... it wasn't you. He was referring to (if he did so) .... those that snag the very best exchanges then rent them out for a profit .... you're not in that category.

jay jay, thank you, but to clear up this issue here is the quote where I referred to others as slime:

"The intent is to keep slime from taking a bunch of prime exchanges and renting them out"

I leave it up to others whether they want to include themselves in this group or not. In the posts since I think I have indicated quite clearly those who I would include in this group.

IT IS NOT (repeat) NOT Kathy or Alldoledup.

Ron D.

Last edited by rond186 on Oct 30, 2012 08:34 AM

Oct 30, 2012

johnf948 wrote:
Maybe we all need to go to our business meetings and get things changed by majority owner vote.

John, no ownership can vote to change the RCI and II rules so don't waste your time trying. What the association can do is cancel their affiliation with the exchange companies. I believe it would be VERY hard to get that vote out of the majority, even if that is an issue that can be put to a general vote according to the association rules.

What any individual owner can do if they disagree with the rules is "talk with your feet" and cancel their individual exchange company membership. Stop paying the membership fee and the exchange fees. Unless you do, with exchanges, you are bound to their rules, like it or not.

Ron D.
Oct 30, 2012

kathyw84 wrote:
"Slime" was in Rond's post. That is the reason I referred to Rond. I do not believe that it is ever effective to resort to name-calling; I was insulted and I would hope that people can write on these blogs without lowering themselves to such behavior.

KATHY,

PLEASE READ OR REREAD MY POSTS THAT FOLLOW YOURS IN THIS THREAD.

(I type like this because you have clearly not read my reply to your original post.)

Those posts very clearly state that it was NOT you who I was referring to in my first post. Furthermore, I believe alldoledup reference to "jerk" was referring to me, not you. As college communications professor, please use your many skills to interpret these posts as they are written. You should not interpret references to others to include yourself.

I apologize for any confusion and insult perceived. I will edit my original post. My words, obviously, were not chosen carefully.

This issue is a "pet peeve" of mine. I am very angry that RCI (at least, by their own admission and policies) removes weeks from the exchange pool for rental to non members in a money grab. I do not want others doing it as well. I, too, use independent (Not requiring a resort - exchange company affiliation) exchange services. I find that the volume is insufficient to support a very effective marketplace. I wish more (if not all) owners used them to make them better. Until then we seem to be stuck with the companies that have these policies in place.

Ron D.
Oct 30, 2012

It would be nice to get back to the issue at hand which is not being able to rent out your weeks . There is a topic in another forum room dealing with Point Rental Liquidators run by a person named B J Cooke. He claims you can buy points from him at a discount and rent them out for a profit through his company. He leads people on by stating it takes six to nine months for the process to be complete. By the time you wait he has your money and you are past the time limit to dispute the claim with your credit card company. Your money is gone and B J Cooke avoids your calls.

One thing he posted in the forum was that he advised people to claim that the person you rented to is a relative and you pay for a guest pass to circumvent the system. It's people like B J Cooke that destroys the exchange program.

I don't agree with the non rental provision of RCI and II but if that is what you signed and agreed to than that is what you are stuck with for the life of your contract. RCI's policies are one reason I got rid of two timeshares that I used to exchange only. I was disgusted when I learned that RCI was renting the prefered properties to the general public for huge profits and denying the owners the use of them for exchanges. I decided to just keep one deeded timeshare for my personal use that I don't need to exchange.

The remedy for us is to boycott the industry until they make it more cunsumer friendly. It seems all the rules are there just for the benefit of the companies and none for the owners.

I belong to the National Timeshare Owners Association which is the only group I know that is for timeshare owners benefit only. If we get enough people together to fight for owners rights we can make major changes in the industry. It will never happen unless we have a voice.

Don P.

Last edited by donp196 on Oct 30, 2012 09:57 AM

Oct 31, 2012

Kathy, My post was not aimed at you. It was aimed at Rond who called those who rent out mutiple weeks "slime". I took affront at his name calling. My feelings are if we own a week and can't use it ourselves (or for our family), we should be able to rent it and get something back for the maintenance we paid. I strongly feel that that should be whether we banked them or they are ours this year. A few years ago, my mom got very sick and we could not travel at all. We banked many of our weeks and expected to be able to get places we could go or rent. After paying for an II membership, an extension cost, the trade fee etc, we got a week thru them and rented it (did not even get back the maintenance fee.) The next time we listed another week on redweek and got the same letter you did. Since II did not "find" one request we asked for, we lost 4 weeks we deposited with them. Right now, I am trying to sell all my II properties and just keep the RCI properties, which I do use myself. With RCIs new way, I can at least get something near home and where we want to go even if it means two properties for one. Interval has never filled one of my requests in the past five years. BTW, when we purchased our timeshares, we were told we could bank them with II and RCI and rent them to pay the maintenances. Another lie that we believed back then. Now I will take a tape recorder if I go to any "update". My beef was and is with ROND who self righteously calls people names because they try to make something out of a bad investment. Whether they tried to use the exchange companies to get weeks they could rent or not, they still owned something to get them. Why shouldn't they be able to do so if they can? Rond and others who put down what other people try to do get me angry. We all have the same chance to get something thru the exchange companies: the dealers and the one timeshare owners. Whats the big deal. I don't do it any more because I know the "Rules" But that doesn't prevent me from not liking it and from depositing my weeks elsewhere or losing them and not putting them in II or RCI at all. Less deposited, less for exchange companies to trade or rent themselves!! Meanwhile membership fees and trade fees continue to rise. Even if one is renting, you can't even get back the maintenance costs (also rising) anymore after the fees. If those Rond calls "slime" can make anything doing what they do, good for them. I hold no animosity for them, like he does. I however do not like people who label other people with words like "slime" without knowing anything about the people and their circumstances. He just sounds jealous and ignorant to me. I keep looking back to my timeshare spiel where they showed us the graph of hotel rooms skyrocketing and us having a timeshare already paid off and vacationing for free. What they didn't tell us if exchange companies would skyrocket, maintenances and special assessments would rise extroardinarily etc. hotel prices look good now. I wonder what the spiel is now. Next time I travel, maybe I will sit through one so I can laugh my head off. This will be my last comment.

Jakes mom
Oct 31, 2012

You asked above why people shouldn't be able to rent deposited or exchanged weeks.

The answer is quite simple (and has been stated many times previously in this thread) .... there were those, in the old days (circa 2000), that were depositing many owned weeks, exchanging for prime weeks/locations and renting them out for a huge profit. You would see these weeks all over Ebay vacation rentals ..... many made it into a lucrative commercial enterprise.

These were the people rond was referring to .... not you, not kathy or anyone else but the true culprits. I don't see why you can't comprehend this fact. If everyone was allowed to rent exchanges then no prime weeks would be available to legitimate exchangers.

R P.
Oct 31, 2012

What happened to good old reading comprehension skills ????

R P.
Oct 31, 2012

Jay, I have been reading all the discussion on this renting of exchanges and finally get why it's banned by II and RCI. Makes sense. I also have been frustrated by it since I have been trying to help a fellow owner and II member use up their weeks and they are going to lose 2 more deposits simply becasue they cannot use them. We had tried to use them among family earlier this year but many of the desired exchanges have dried up for a variety of reasons. I can see both sides to this issue and hate to see my in laws lose out, but I will get them current soon with their reservations from the actual resort and rent them on Red Week that way. Was successful with 2 of those from their home resort so no harm done at all with those. I never really considered the commerical volume aspect to the renting of exchanges and how it hurts the rest of us who just want a nice exchange. I am too waining on being a member of II. Since the resort company recently went to points that is further controlling the ability to get quality exchanges....

Ric K.
Nov 01, 2012

Rick,

If you have time available to use the deposits, paying for an extension may be worthwhile. Have you looked at that option?

It may be better than losing them even if only used for a 4 day weekend or something like that.

Ron D.
Nov 02, 2012

rick1227 wrote:
I will get them current soon with their reservations from the actual resort and rent them on Red Week that way. Was successful with 2 of those from their home resort so no harm done at all with those.

Exactly, what you own you can rent .... you're doing the right thing above .... making a reservation at your in-laws resort for their owned week then renting it out on Redweek.

The key to getting what one wants with the exchange companies is depositing early 9-12 months out .... that way you have many more choices in exchanges ... the later you deposit the less exchanges will be available.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Nov 02, 2012 08:29 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.