Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Is Key West Resorts by Owner.com legit?

Feb 01, 2013

Was called by a financing accountant there who had a buyer who has been approved and interested in my timeshare at Westgate Vacation Villas. They found me listed at a Marriott timeshare promotion.(that's possible, I signed with several of those listing scams before I joined redweek) I have talked to the buyers from PA several times and answered questions and Agreed on a price. Now Michael Harrison tells me they have signed a contract with 10% down to buy. And I need to sign a contract and front Key West Resorts by Owner the closing fee for this process. (He claims they have a bulk discount with Chicago title.) ...

Inez F.
Feb 01, 2013

The fact that they called you unexpectedly means that it's likely a scam. These "buyers" that you allegedly talked to are just shills in cahoots with this company.

How much did they offer you for this alleged sale? Orlando-area timeshares (especially Westgate) are selling for peanuts right now and some can't even be given away. So if they're offering you an unrealistically high amount of money, then you know it's a scam.

If you have to send a closing fee, or any other fee, then it's a scam because any tax or fee that has to be paid would come out of the proceeds of the sale.

My recommendation is to tell these people where they can shove their scam.

Lance C.
Feb 01, 2013

Thanks for your input. I was asking $6000. Thinking the closing fees would come out of that. I realize Westgate is hard to sell.

I also just recently got a cold call from a licensed realtor (I checked) who wanted an assessment of property costing @$525. through TImeshare Values. He required that and a front page copy of deed to begin working to sell my timeshare and knew all about Westgate as he was out of Kissimmee. He said buyers more confident with up to date property assessment. Is this just another angle?

Inez F.
Feb 02, 2013

The assessment fee is the scam. They always want some sort of " fee " to process the sale. Once you pay the " fee " they will wait a while and then ask for another " fee " that has to be paid before they can complete the sale. Once they bilk you out of as much money as they can they will disappear as fast as your money did. They will then sell your name on a " sucker list " for other scammers to use.

If it was a real sale all the " fees " would come out of the sale. Remember rule #1 NEVER pay upfront fees to anyone to resnt or sell your timeshare.

Don P.
Feb 02, 2013

inezf3 wrote:
Thanks for your input. I was asking $6000. Thinking the closing fees would come out of that. I realize Westgate is hard to sell.

I also just recently got a cold call from a licensed realtor (I checked) who wanted an assessment of property costing @$525. through TImeshare Values. He required that and a front page copy of deed to begin working to sell my timeshare and knew all about Westgate as he was out of Kissimmee. He said buyers more confident with up to date property assessment. Is this just another angle?

No Westgate property is selling for $6000 in this economy .... it's a scam.

As far as Timeshare Values goes .... there is no Kelly Blue Book on the value of any given timeshare .... the value is only what someone is willing to pay .... this is also a scam.

As stated above when any entity cold-calls you out of the blue asking for a large upfront fee for their service it is a scam .... when you get one of these calls just don't answer your phone .... ignore them.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Feb 02, 2013 08:34 AM

Feb 02, 2013

That licensed realtor out of Kissimmee should be reported to Florida Realty Department for asking for the assessment fee upfront. That's a scam that has been going around for ages. No legitimate realtor would ask for an assessment fee before even listing a property. The assessment is only done after a buyer has shown interest in the property and has put down a deposit on the property. Please post the name of the realtor so he or she can be reported. I live in Florida not far from Kissimmee and I would be glad to blow the whistle on the scammer.

Investigators from the Florida Law Enforcement fraud division will be at the National Timeshare Owners Association meeting in The Villages in Florida next Sunday for thier annual meeting and that would be a great venue to expose the dishonest realtor.

Don P.
Feb 02, 2013

All Realty Services.com licensed realtor: Bill Greiling #SL563171 Claims there is a long back-up on property assessments. But he called around and Time Share Values, Inc. can do it in 3 1/2 weeks for $525. He needs a copy of front page of deed and an assessment to sell, but will begin promoting property while assess is in progress...

Inez F.
Feb 03, 2013

inezf3 wrote:
All Realty Services.com licensed realtor: Bill Greiling #SL563171 Claims there is a long back-up on property assessments. But he called around and Time Share Values, Inc. can do it in 3 1/2 weeks for $525. He needs a copy of front page of deed and an assessment to sell, but will begin promoting property while assess is in progress...

One more time ..... As far as Timeshare Values goes .... there is NO Kelly Blue Book on the value of any given timeshare .... the value is only what someone is willing to pay .... this is also a scam.

I don't know what else you are expecting and why you keep asking about this entity unless you have $525 to throw down the toilet.

As far as he wanting a copy of your deed (if it states what you paid initially if you bought from a developer) it has absolutely nothing to do with what you may get (if anything since many timeshares are being given away in thi economy to rid owners of rising yearly maintenance fees) on the resale market.

There are rampant scams in the timeshare industry .... this is just one of thousands.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Feb 03, 2013 09:24 AM

Feb 03, 2013

Looks like your licensed real estate broker is just a website started recently out of his home. The website is listed as 2013 and available for sale. The business address is a private residence in Kissimmee. Looks like a scammer that just established himself on line and is asking for upfront money and then will disappear into thin air after scamming enough victims. Just because the license is valid doesn't mean it's not a scam. I'll be doing some more investigating and contacting Florida authorities. It sure looks like a scam.

Don P.
Feb 18, 2013

I work at 1 on the top resorts here in key West and most of our tours are people from MI, PA,NJ,MD.I've known Mike Harrison for many years and he actually got me my job,my wife and I bought our Marriott property 2 years ago and Key West Resorts By Owner listed it for free to rent it out.It's rented 1 time.Cant ask for more than that that. I've paid 3 company's money and nothing happened.

Dennis W.
Feb 18, 2013

dennisw188 wrote:
I work at 1 on the top resorts here in key West and most of our tours are people from MI, PA,NJ,MD.I've known Mike Harrison for many years and he actually got me my job,my wife and I bought our Marriott property 2 years ago and Key West Resorts By Owner listed it for free to rent it out.It's rented 1 time.Cant ask for more than that that. I've paid 3 company's money and nothing happened.

You are more than likely Mike himself = shill trying to advertise on Redweek .... in the 13 years I've been posting and reading timeshare forums (we once owned 9 timeshares) I have never once heard of the above company .... if any timeshare related company asks for a large upfront fee then they're a scam, period. If they're legit they take their fee after the rental or sale is complete.

R P.
Feb 18, 2013

And another question .... if you paid 3 upfront fee timeshare companies to rent your timeshare and they didn't then why would you pay a 4th .... "fool me once it's your fault, fool me twice it's my fault".

Also, you said the guy listed it for free at Key West Resorts by Owner .... if so just how does he make money?

R P.
May 20, 2013

Last edited by freds328 on Aug 14, 2013 08:26 AM

May 21, 2013

freds328 wrote:
in the last 2 months I have sent Michael Harrison about $1500. I also "sold" my Bahama timeshare to the "Millers" in Bethlehem, PA. Did you ever get straight with him or are you screwed also? Whenever I get calls to sell my timeshare I always check them out in these types of complaint forums. Lots of companies with complaints of scams but not Key West so that is why I actually went through with it. He said the title company would send me the check in 18-22 days and it now has been 28 days.

Don't hold your breath waiting for a check.

R P.
May 26, 2013

We went through them for a rental and sale of our timeshare, me and my mom both used them for our time shares, they found renter for mine and my mom asked for a refund because she waited 4 months and no sale so shes using it.They refunded her, just ask for a refund !. Will use them again at least they try to find buyers and have real sales people.

freds328 wrote:
in the last 2 months I have sent Michael Harrison about $1500. I also "sold" my Bahama timeshare to the "Millers" in Bethlehem, PA. Did you ever get straight with him or are you screwed also? Whenever I get calls to sell my timeshare I always check them out in these types of complaint forums. Lots of companies with complaints of scams but not Key West so that is why I actually went through with it. He said the title company would send me the check in 18-22 days and it now has been 28 days.

inezf3 wrote:
Was called by a financing accountant there who had a buyer who has been approved and interested in my timeshare at Westgate Vacation Villas. They found me listed at a Marriott timeshare promotion.(that's possible, I signed with several of those listing scams before I joined redweek) I have talked to the buyers from PA several times and answered questions and Agreed on a price. Now Michael Harrison tells me they have signed a contract with 10% down to buy. And I need to sign a contract and front Key West Resorts by Owner the closing fee for this process. (He claims they have a bulk discount with Chicago title.) ...

Aron T.
May 27, 2013

I smell a shill.

Don P.
May 29, 2013

Last edited by freds328 on Aug 14, 2013 08:27 AM

May 29, 2013

Last edited by freds328 on Aug 14, 2013 08:28 AM

Jun 03, 2013

BEWARE this company RED WEEK is a UPFRONT company so if you post on here you'll ton's of emails wanting you to pay upfront with your credit card as I did.. Now there sending me restaurant coupons to list my resort.TRUST the BBB as I did Key west resorts by owner has no complaints or takes UPFRONT FEE'S. Plus they offer 100 % refund if the sale don't go through,what more can you ask.Bad business Red Week.

Michael H.
Jun 03, 2013

Post on this and Red week will email you ton's of emails wanting you to list and then they want your credit card as they did me , now there sending restaurant coupons.

Michael H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.