Ask RedWeek

Get out of Westgate Resorts

Dec 28, 2022

Protesting has been tried and was productive. A group of very angry Diamond owners held up signs in 2019 in Las Vegas outside of Polo Towers, the FL Attorney General's Dept of Business and Professional Regulation's office (their office was closed for the day), and outside of Cypress Pointe in Orlando. I would have rather gone to the dentist, but to show support, as a Diamond member, I convinced my husband to participate. We attended three days. It wasn't just the holding up of signs that was productive. It was the contacts made, and much to my surprise, despite sales agents revving their Ferrari as they drove by laughing, it was a blast. I will not be protesting, but will attend to photograph and chronicle the event as my heart goes out to the veteran that was promised the ability to rent to cover costs. He needs his income from the Pentagon while waiting for a lung transplant, as a consequence of serving 24 years overseas. Westgate will not grant him a hardship release. At a trial I attended they said they give away 1500 free weekends to honor veterans mentioning that three of their executives are veterans. Nauseating it was sitting through the BS. A lawsuit is pending accusing Westgate of violating the Military Lending Act. https://tarda.org/f/why-we-protested-timeshare-practices-november-8-11

Irene P.
Jan 03, 2023

Does anyone have an email for westgate? I want everything to be in writing but don't know the email to send to?

Breanna C.
Jan 03, 2023

Physical address for Westgate Resorts Corporate Headquarters, if you (literally) want to submit material in writing is:

5601 Windhover Drive Orlando, FL 32819 (Note: If you are trying to rescind a contract, find and use the exact address provided to you at the time of contract execution; that rescission address may very well be different from the address cited above).

Westgate Corporate phone number is (407) 355-1000. If you (unwisely) want to send emails instead of actually having everything "in writing", call the number above to determine the appropriate email address for your particular recipient and purpose.

P.S. You cannot rescind (cancel) a Westgate (or any other) contract by email; it must be done in writing and under signature of all persons who signed the contract at issue. Email is worthless for the purposes of attempting a contract rescission (cancellation). You must of course also meet the applicable state law time deadline for submitting a contract rescission (5-7 days in most states, 10 days in FL and TN), but it's not at all clear from your post what your actual intentions or objectives are. In any case, good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 04, 2023 08:17 AM

Jan 12, 2023

I work for Linx Legal, we've been in business for 14 years and we help timeshare owners out of their financial obligations based on lies you were told and promises not met. Our ultimate goal is to save owners from having to dig a financial hole for themselves for something they weren't honestly sold and most times can't even use. I'll attach our Better Business Bureau so you can look into our company and read the reviews for yourself. If you have any questions or want to see if we can help you as well, my work line is 843-929-1349. I will not ask for any personal information aside from a little insight into your experience. We also charge a fee as well, but we only offer a case if we are certain we can cancel the contract and only if we are able to save owners a substantial amount of money.

https://www.bbb.org/.../timesh.../linx-legal-inc-0473-576031

Kaitlyn A.
Jan 15, 2023

Im a UK citizen and stupidly got pulled into Purchasing a Westgates timeshare (1 week every 2 years) over 25 years ago. We’ve no mortgage and have always paid the fees on time. But for various reasons it’s no longer practical or affordable to travel and ‘swaps’ locally are virtually non existent. I no longer want the timeshare and went through the legacy programme to deedback which they declined.

Being in the UK, Im wondering what the worse thing they could do if I just stopped paying the fees. Im worried that this ‘millstone’ will be passed onto my daughter who wasn’t even born at the time’.

Any advice appreciated.

Fiona E.
Jan 15, 2023

Hi. That’s really interesting and good to know. They’ve just refused my request to deedback and so I was thinking of stopping payment but was worried about how this might affect me/what they could do (I’m also a UK citizen).

janice637 wrote:
Hi after not paying maintenance fees for three years, and the never ending threats and demands, Westgate foreclosed on my Florida timeshare. That was over a year ago and I have heard nothing since. I live in the UK.

Fiona E.
Jan 15, 2023

Chances are slim that they can do anything to you or your daughter, especially since you live outside the USA. You might face a bunch of collection calls and letters but those have no enforcement.

And do not fall for any propaganda some of these companies spew out there that your daughter will be forced to accept your unit. That is not true.

Lance C.
Jan 16, 2023

It took a while but I just ignored all the threats and demands. I was determined to not pay them a single penny more. Then they foreclosed and sold my week onto some other poor soul.

Janice G.
Jan 18, 2023

I've just received a warranty deed in lieu of foreclosure. I've no intention of dealing with them ever again. I own my timeshare and have paid maintenance fees up until 3 years ago. I then "woke up" and realised what a stupid person I was. I was pressurised into purchasing timeshare about 15 years ago. Even David Seagel closed the deal and rang the bell, my kids were put in a creche so the could use pressure selling techniques, I wanted to go away and think about it but David Seagel knocked the price down to $15,000( £10,000) then rang the sales bell, they used a stretch limo to show us the apartment. I still can't get over how gullible I was. I'm a UK citizen. If I don't do anything the letter says after 35 days they will institute foreclosure proceedings ( they say I owe $2548.14 maintenance)

Richard A

Richard A.
Jan 18, 2023

richarda847 wrote:
I've just received a warranty deed in lieu of foreclosure. I've no intention of dealing with them ever again. I own my timeshare and have paid maintenance fees up until 3 years ago. I then "woke up" and realised what a stupid person I was. I was pressurised into purchasing timeshare about 15 years ago. Even David Seagel closed the deal and rang the bell, my kids were put in a creche so the could use pressure selling techniques, I wanted to go away and think about it but David Seagel knocked the price down to $15,000( £10,000) then rang the sales bell, they used a stretch limo to show us the apartment. I still can't get over how gullible I was. I'm a UK citizen. If I don't do anything the letter says after 35 days they will institute foreclosure proceedings ( they say I owe $2548.14 maintenance)

Don't beat yourself up. Many people (...far too many, in fact) have fallen prey over the years to the aggressive and deceitful sales practices of the slimy Wastegate sales weasels. Personally, I hope that a very special place in Hell awaits all of them.

I am not offering you any legal advice, but I do respect and applaud your decision to not send any more money to David Siegel and his merry band of hungry parasites. If they foreclose, despite the unfortunate and significant financial loss involved for you, at least you will then be able to try to forget that you ever even heard the word "Westgate".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 18, 2023 06:30 AM

Jan 19, 2023

Hi Richard, I was in exactly the same position. I had my unit for 20 years, no mortgage. I didn't pay maintenance fees for 3 years, had endless letters etc. They eventually foreclosed, sold my week and I've not heard anything since. I live in the UK and haven't had any more contact from them.

richarda847 wrote:

Richard A

Janice G.
Feb 08, 2023

This is a little off topic... but I too pay a monthly fee for Westgate and honestly, I don't know what I'm paying for or what benefit I get. I don't know how to use the timeshare. I've reached out to them over and over to find some documents on what I am paying for and I haven't gotten any information.

Thanks

Jennifer S.
Feb 08, 2023

jennifers2550 wrote:
This is a little off topic... but I too pay a monthly fee for Westgate and honestly, I don't know what I'm paying for or what benefit I get. I don't know how to use the timeshare. I've reached out to them over and over to find some documents on what I am paying for and I haven't gotten any information.

I'm confused. If you are paying money to Westgate on a monthly basis, then it would certainly appear that you signed for a loan to purchase a Westgate timeshare. (Bills for Westgate timeshare maintenenance fees are only issued once each year, not monthly).

Are you saying that you don't know what you bought, or where or when you bought it, and that you don't know or don't remember that you took out a loan to do so???

If you purchased from Westgate, don't you still have in your possession the contract documents that you must have signed if you are now paying money to Westgate on a monthly basis???

Are you actually serious, or are you maybe "just pulling our legs" here?

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Feb 10, 2023 08:15 AM

Feb 18, 2023

I have been trying to get out from Westgate for the past 2 yrs. We bought our timeshare in '06 Westgate Town Center. It has been paid off since '08. I tried the Legacy program several times and not able to exit out. I thought I was going to exit the timeshare when I was given the information about the cost on the volunteer deed back, it was going to cost me $1250.00 it was more than the taxes that were owed, but then received letter from westgate where I was declined. I have tried many time to exit out with no luck. Last time I talked to a representative he finally said that the resort did not want the time share back. I would have to wait 6-12 months before apply for the program again. We tried giving it away to family, friends, our children no body wants it. We tried selling, renting and we lost money, and did not hear back from the company they referred. With our health problems that my husband and I developed during covid and other issues I included a Drs letter to see if we could exit out. That didn't help. Other representatives will only tell me that we have qualified but its westgates discretion to decline exiting. I have sent emails, mailed letters, called to the developers center, corresponding dept,resort dept. What else can I do to get out from this timeshare. Thank you MG

Mari G.
Feb 19, 2023

marig34 wrote:
What else can I do to get out from this timeshare?

Since you have tried every possible option, your last resort would be to stop paying maintenance fee and let your unit go into foreclosure. You might face a bunch of collection calls and letters and a possible hit on your credit score or rating.

Make sure you contact the resort's Homeowners' Association (HOA) and let them know in no uncertain terms that you are not paying any more money in maintenance fees. So the HOA has two options. Either take it back amicably (possibly with you paying closing costs) or let it go through foreclosure.

And of course the big, important thing, do not pay any company, charity, or law firm to get you out of your timeshare.

Lance C.
May 15, 2023

Hello, we had purchased Weatgate deeded timeshare yesterday but already regretting this poor decision Can we rescind this agreement? How to rescind it? We are in Florida and this property was financed by the resort as well Thank you

Yuliya M.
May 15, 2023

The contract you signed should provide for cancellation within a certain number of days. I would act quickly because that number can be pretty small. Just be ready for a massive pushback from the sales department. If you truly want out, you need to hold your ground.

Just a quick curiosity question. What prompted you to buy if you saw all of the unhappiness that people have expressed on this forum about Westgate? Or did you run across this after you made the purchase?

yuliyam12 wrote:
Hello, we had purchased Weatgate deeded timeshare yesterday but already regretting this poor decision Can we rescind this agreement? How to rescind it? We are in Florida and this property was financed by the resort as well Thank you

Robert C.
May 15, 2023

yuliyam12 wrote:

Florida law (not developer benevolence) provides you with 10 days (the longest time period in the U.S., along with Tennessee) to cancel that contract — and the associated financing. Wastegate (and every other developer in the U.S.) is also required by law to provide you with a notice of your rescission (cancellation) rights, as well as instructions on where to send your signed, written rescission. This information has actually already been provided to you at the time of contract execution, but....

Wastegate is notorious for making that rescission information very difficult for you to find, but you ALREADY have it -- somewhere. It's either buried within the contents of a CD-ROM or on a thumb drive given to you at the time of contract execution, or it may be in print on paper hidden away inside a binder with a black velcro strip, given to you at the time of contract execution. Find it, and follow the instructions precisely. You must cancel in writing, under the signatures of everyone who signed the contract and send your rescission correspondence by certified U.S. Mail. Phone calls, faxes and emails are all completely useless and legally meaningless in a contract cancellation. Don't even answer the phone when the sales weasels call you later (and yes, they WILL call you to try to get you to change your mind). Don't even talk to them at all. Just follow the rescission instructions precisely and let the law work for you.

You have rights, but some prompt and focused effort is now required for you to exercise those rights in time. The clock is already ticking; get right on this. If you snooze, you will lose. You really should have NOTHING to do with the likes of slimy Wastegate. Get out of this contract right now while you still can, or you will deeply regret failing to rescind (cancel) this contract for a very long time to come. Get hopping!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 22, 2023 05:38 AM

May 15, 2023

It has been reported in lawsuits that Westgate has been known to circumvent registered letters. Stay on top of it. Call after it has been received, or attempted to deliver to track it down to make sure it was acknowledged. Keep a log of everyone you talk to. Thank goodness you found this forum.

Irene P.
May 15, 2023

yuliyam12 wrote:
Can we rescind this agreement? How to rescind it? We are in Florida and this property was financed by the resort as well

https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.