Ask RedWeek

selling time share membership...more questions

May 06, 2022

after running through web site, still having problem understanding. RTU= ready to use, only for specific year, what about selling the whole right use of membership? bought in 2012, and it still have 30 over year, wanted to sell it, as we have no time to visit. please help to clearify , thanks .

Edward L.
May 06, 2022

edwardl267 wrote:
after running through web site, still having problem understanding. RTU= ready to use, only for specific year, what about selling the whole right use of membership? bought in 2012, and it still have 30 over year, wanted to sell it, as we have no time to visit. please help to clearify , thanks .

RTU stands for "right to use". RTU means that you do not actually own anything --- you basically have a "membership" contract which allows you to access and "use" the property. There is no deed, since there is no ownership of anything. The RTU contract provides a right to "use" the property (and pay fees) for a defined period (30 years, in your case).

The fact that you make reference to a 30 year contract suggests to me that your RTU may be in Mexico. Don't shoot the messenger, but the likelihood of your being able to SELL a Mexican RTU contract with 20 years still remaining on it is essentially zero. Frankly, you'd be lucky to find someone who would take it for free. Also, some Mexican timeshare operations require serious money just to transfer RTU contract rights from one person to another. In those instances, "free" is obviously not "free" at all if it takes serious money just to accomplish a transfer of the RTU contract rights.

I hope that some of this input helps you to better understand your situation, although some of the info provided is surely disappointing. I wish you luck. As a last resort, keep in mind that you can always choose to just STOP PAYING any more fees. If it's a Mexican timeshare, there will be no real consequences or repercussions beyond the termination of your "right to use" and the permanent loss of any and all money that you have already sunk into this "product".

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on May 11, 2022 08:40 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.