Timeshare Exchanges

Yep...the El Cid deal was a bit of a scam.

Dec 23, 2008

Here's my follow up to those who care about how the El Cid is now doing business. To recap: I no longer can call RCI to deposit my week, I have to contact the hotel directly. This is policy and RCI has no control. However, the El Cid (El Moro Towers) does still work with RCI. I e-mailed them at the address RCI gave me and got a nice reply. They were happy to deposit my week.....however a few days later when the confirmation came through I noticed that they had deposited a 1 br on the 16th floor, and not the 2br corner on the 19th that I own. I've since contaced RCI and they are assuring me that it won't hurt my trading power. We'll see. At least now I know why they took over their own deposits...they plan to deposit any unit they want, not necessarily mine!

Paul L.
Jan 06, 2009

I'm a member of El Cid El Moro Tower as well. We bought in Dec. 2007 with point system, not any designate unit/suite. I'd like to know if you got an exchange you want later with RCI thru El Cid. Would you kindly post your result again in this forum.

Roy K.
Jan 06, 2009

I have an on-going search for a summer week in Cabo...no hit yet. RCI insists that the ElCid "switcheroo" won't hurt my exchange power but how can I possibly know? Just have to wait and see what "pops".

Paul L.
Jan 07, 2009

paull152 wrote:
I have an on-going search for a summer week in Cabo...no hit yet. RCI insists that the ElCid "switcheroo" won't hurt my exchange power but how can I possibly know? Just have to wait and see what "pops".
Go to the TUG Forum (www.tugbbs.com), where there is a Sightings thread. You can ask other TUG members if they can "see" any Cabo availabilities with their units.

It will not help getting your exchange, BUT if other TUG members can "see Cabo" and you can't, it tells you that RCI has availabilities and your unit does not have the trading power for the exchange.

I believe you have to join TUG to use this feature(www.tug2.net).

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Jan 07, 2009 05:38 AM

Jan 07, 2009

paull152 wrote:
Here's my follow up to those who care about how the El Cid is now doing business. To recap: I no longer can call RCI to deposit my week, I have to contact the hotel directly. This is policy and RCI has no control. However, the El Cid (El Moro Towers) does still work with RCI. I e-mailed them at the address RCI gave me and got a nice reply. They were happy to deposit my week.....however a few days later when the confirmation came through I noticed that they had deposited a 1 br on the 16th floor, and not the 2br corner on the 19th that I own. I've since contaced RCI and they are assuring me that it won't hurt my trading power. We'll see. At least now I know why they took over their own deposits...they plan to deposit any unit they want, not necessarily mine!

RCI is saying that a 1 bedroom will have as much trade power as a 2 bedroom ????? I find this hard to believe. I also find it hard to believe, if you actually own a fixed week in a fixed unit, that your owned week/unit could not be deposited for trade? Something's fishy in this scenario unless some important information has been left out.

R P.
Jan 07, 2009

RCI says square footage of deposited 1br is about the same as the 2br I originally signed for...after 15 years of easy exchanges this isn't what I planned on. Runs out in 2012...think I'll use it for cruise exchanges and cut out any potential hassles. May still get a good exchange...as I said, "we'll see".

Paul L.
Jan 08, 2009

paull152 wrote:
RCI says square footage of deposited 1br is about the same as the 2br I originally signed for...after 15 years of easy exchanges this isn't what I planned on. Runs out in 2012...think I'll use it for cruise exchanges and cut out any potential hassles. May still get a good exchange...as I said, "we'll see".

This doesn't make sense. What if you had guests with you. Would you want them sleeping on the living room sofa instead of in a second bedroom. Square footage being the same or not is not the issue here? You OWN a 2 bedroom.

R P.
Jan 28, 2009

Turned out OK...RCI just exchanged my week for the exact date & resort I wanted. I guess the switch of units didn't hurt me this time, but it still somehow doesn't seem right??

Paul L.
Mar 11, 2009

What is the email address you are referring to for El Cid to deposit a timeshare week?

Tony M.
Mar 11, 2009

His name is Gary Garceau.

I reached him at ggarceau@elcid.com.mx

He handled it quickly...it just wasn't my unit that he deposited.

Paul

Paul L.
Jul 09, 2009

This letter describes our encounter with EL CID LA CEIBA PROPERTY IN COZUMEL on March 2008. We sat down with DAVID LEIGH BRYANT. Initially, he explained to us the benefits of buying a one bedroom unit time share plan, he then showed us on their website that we would receive 175,000 points reward for every $1,000.00 cash paid for cruises booked at 50 to 60% discount off the regular price. We decided to sign mainly on that factor with another representative, DEBRA EKLUND. She also CONFIRMED THE MONEY WE WOULD SAVE ON VACATIONS AND THE ACCUMULATIVE POINTS WE WOULD RECEIVE. We were bitterly disappointed in late March when we tried to book four of our associates on a Carnival Cruise through El Cid. The price was virtually the same as Carnival web sites listed price. Even worse, we were totally MISREPRESENTED ON THE POINTS. Instead of receiving 525,000 points for a $4,000.00 cruise, we were told to receive only 35,000 points. As soon as we discovered we had been mislead we e-mailed Debra Eklund on April to please cancel our membership and reverse the charge on our Bank of America credit card. After no response, I called El Cid in Cozumel and was told that I had to speak to Arturo Soto who handles cancellations. I called Arturo every day for at least two weeks and he would not take my call nor return it. Numerous e-mails back and forth with Mr. Soto have occurred since refusing to reverse the charges and cancel our membership. It has been a constant strain on our marital relationship dueling over catching these charges and re-charges. We have spent hours and hours writing letters, making phone calls and faxes blaming each other over this whole sad episode then recently, having our excellent credit score lowered over something WE WERE MISLED AND MANIPULATED BY. Do not go or attend any presentation with the El Cid Vacations Club, their only purpose is to steal your money, using MISLEADING INFORMATION AND NO ETHICAL SALES PRACTICES.

TLS.

Tl S.
Jul 10, 2009

Sorry about your situation. Points (any kind of points) in exchange for cruises are not good deals. You can get much better deals perusing all the travel sites on the internet than using any kind of points for cruises.

R P.
Jul 10, 2009

On another note, you might get in touch with Profeco (the consumer advocate agency in Mexico) to file your complaint. Search forums for 'Profeco' to find their contact info.

R P.
Aug 09, 2010

We had a similarly unsatisfactory situation with the El Cid Group - from Mazatlan this time but still leaving a really bad taste.

A T.
Apr 10, 2013

This company took our money and now we can not get ant response. We got directed to them from Mazatlan. The presentation was there. After they tricked us into buying, we sent multiple emails requesting more information and never could get a single response. All of their business cards had whiteout on them. Two of them only had first names. I recommend you avoid El CiD at all costs.

Kelsey F.

Last edited by phyl21 on Apr 10, 2013 10:05 PM

Dec 20, 2014

El Cid timeshares are beautiful resorts with locations in Mazatlan, Cancun and Cozumel. Its legal name is El Cid Vacation Club S.A. de C.V. But unfortunately, el Cid timeshare has become in one of the biggest timeshare scams in Mexico.

At El Cid Resort’s timeshare presentation, vacationers are offered an El Cid timeshare points for sale package, being that they work with two rental companies: Phoenix Vacation Property Management and Platinum Exchange Services Corp.

El Cid timeshare have gained a very bad reputation in timeshare matter, and there are a lot of complaints around several websites like Ripoff Report, Complaints board, Redweek, etc

Matilda P.

Last edited by phyl21 on Dec 20, 2014 05:28 PM

Dec 21, 2014

I have been reading all these negative comments regarding EL CID Resorts. I find this somewhat odd since I've owned a timeshare at this resort since the early 80's. My first purchase was at Granada since the El Moro tower was not yet built. Over the years my fixed weeks were converted to their points system to where I now own slightly over 2,000,000 pts. Each winter I spend anywhere between 2-5 months at the resort in Mazatlan. With my membership I receive wrist bands that cover all my food and drinks while I'm at the resort. In addition it covers my green fees at the golf course. In the fall I charter the EL CID boats to go deep sea fishing. My membership entitles me to a 70% discount on the boat rentals. On more than one occasion I watched them fill the boat with fuel prior to us leaving the dock then refuelling the boat upon our return. The boat burns between $290.00 - $310.00 worth of fuel (Aries IX 36 ft twin diesel). The boat rents for $750.00/ day, with the discount of 70% it's $225.00. You will note that my cost is less than the cost of the fuel burnt. While staying at the resort I play golf 2-3 times each week, my green fees are covered with my membership. All my drinks while at the pool are covered, all my meals are covered including wine with my meals. My fridge is always kept full of drinks and snacks. I've been experiencing this for many many years with very few complications. I'm not too sure what you people expect as a timeshare owner? What else do you expect these people to do? Furthermore, since I have been spending most of my winters there I've met many many owners who also spend most of their winters at the resort and they too have nothing but positive comments about how they are treated. Since I've never tried to exchange my points for other resorts through some exchange program, I really can't comment on that experience. I can honestly say if you become an owner at El Cid and you continue to stay at the various El Cid properties, you will be happy with the program. One more comment, once you become an Owner, you have access to a private website where you can monitor your points, mtce payments as well as the ability to make reservations online. For those of you not comfortable with the Internet there is a toll free number where you can call where people who answer the phone have an excellent grasp of the English language and you can make all your arrangements over the phone where your written confirmation will be emailed to you within 5 minutes. I spent 2 months in Mazatlan this fall deep sea fishing and came back home for Christmas. I'll be heading back to Mazatlan Jan 01 for 3 months.

Kevin K.
Dec 22, 2014

kevink368 wrote:
I have been reading all these negative comments regarding EL CID Resorts. I find this somewhat odd since I've owned a timeshare at this resort since the early 80's....I can honestly say if you become an owner at El Cid and you continue to stay at the various El Cid properties, you will be happy with the program.

It's probably a nice resort. I think the problem that most people have is with the sales people and the presentations. Many feel that they were not given what was promised in the sales presentation.

The other difference between your experience(s) and those of other people is that you have the means and ability to travel to Mazatlan for several weeks of the year as well as spend lots of money on activities. If one has the means and ability to spend lots of time and money in Mazatlan and on activities, then your package sounds like a good deal. Many can only go one week and then, when they're there, spend a limited amount of money. By that path, whatever perks El Cid sells is not really worth it.

Lance C.
Dec 22, 2014

Based on reading many of these complaints it would appear that the problems seem to arise when Owners attempt to sell their week or weeks or attempt to trade their weeks. I have no experience trading my points for another resort so I can't comment on that aspect, however, I have sold weeks to friends with no problems what so ever. I think too many people get into these timeshares and can't really afford them either financially or time wise. For them to work properly you have to use them on a regular basis or sell the time to a friend or co-worker.

Kevin K.
Dec 23, 2014

kevink368 wrote:
I think too many people get into these timeshares and can't really afford them either financially or time wise. For them to work properly you have to use them on a regular basis or sell the time to a friend or co-worker.

That's basically what I said. Unfortunately, many owners do not have the means and liberty to travel as you do and thus, do not get as much out of their ownership as you do. Good for you for being able to make good use out of your purchase. Many people (myself included although I am not an owner) envy your ability and means to travel so frequently and, when on vacation, be able to afford all those activities.

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.