General Discussion

Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

Jun 22, 2018

All point systems are a scam, This is my opinion from working in the industry for over 15 years as a sales and marketing rep for several points based resorts in the U.S., Caribbean and Mexico. They have always been in the best interest of the resort as you really do not own anything with little control. Plus, they will add on new fees with less value for the consumer.

I share this in my upcoming book, Everything About Timeshare, Before, During and After the Sale.

For more info, visit my website...redweektimesharebook.com Separate from the Redweek organization.

Best of luck!

Wayne C.
Jun 23, 2018

I remove my post as any help to timeshare buyers is good.

The smart timeshare users are those who rent my owned weeks/points. They have the ultimate flexibility - no large upfront cash outlay, no maintenance fees, no immediate loss of the initial cash outlay, and can terminate at will. Also, they get the week they want (not easy for owners) at the lowest cost.

Good luck!

Den

Last edited by dennish144 on Jun 24, 2018 06:10 AM

Jun 24, 2018

I have never admitted to being a part of a scam, so please do not call me a scammer. Timeshare, generally, is not a scam. Most owners do not understand how the system works.

This is erroneous information or a misunderstanding on your part.

Yes, I worked for several resorts for 15 years, but never lied to anyone. I have always told my owners what timeshare will and will not do. I provided my email address to my owners if they needed help with anything, and I gladly helped. If I learned that the program was a scam, I quit, or was fired because I did not go along with "the program."

When a company is bought over (i.e. Sunterra, Epic Resorts, SilverLeaf, etc.) and is taken over by another, new management comes in and is expected to turn a profit ASAP. Often times, they will bring in their own sales team which are not the most honest people. This is why so many timeshares have become scams.

Also, many of the resorts that I worked for had very successful referral programs for owners to refer their friends and family for a sales presentation. Obviously, these people were very happy owners.

Royal Resorts in Cancun, Mexico had a very satisfied customer base and members always referred their friends and family to purchase. This is, by far, the most honest place that I have ever worked. They guaranteed the same suite the same week for 30 years. Then, you get all your money back. The ONLY reason I left there was because on October 22-23, Hurricane Wilma destroyed Cancun and I relocated to Cabo San Lucas.

I have since discovered that timeshare owners know very little about how the industry works and are frustrated with their experiences with their timeshares. I simply want to share what I know with those people to help them better use it,know where and where not to buy a timeshare, or how to get rid of it

Please do not call names to someone you know nothing

Wayne C.

Last edited by vhines on Jul 17, 2019 08:45 PM

Jul 15, 2018

I am finding the same scenario.

Buyer beware of Marriott

James B.
Jul 16, 2018

What problems are you having with Marriott?

Wayne C.
Jul 16, 2018

I guess it just depends on how you use it. We own a week in Maui that we usually turn in for vacation club points. In addition we purchased 3,000 points to bring us to Chairman's level. We don't travel during high demand times and have been able to book what we ask for. It works well for retired people and I'm sorry it's not good for others. You can try to list your time on Vacation Candy.com or Redweek for more than your maintenance fees if you can't use your time.

Nonnie C.
Aug 11, 2018

There is a difference in owning a condo for use an entire year than paying $1,500 to $1,900 maintenance for a one week use of a timeshare, Let’s use a condo with an association fee of $5,000 annually, 5,000 taxes and $5,000 more for utilities and other costs. That’s $15.000 or 52 weeks or $288.00 per week. With your own condo you are not on a waiting list to use it and even that mandatory 10-13 months needed in advance.

Michael B.
Aug 11, 2018

Well, buying a condo for occasional vacation use has it's own problems. You certainly can use it when you want but what about the rest of the year? Be careful and do your homework.

My suggestion - don't buy anything, just rent a timeshare from an owner.

michael3092 wrote:
There is a difference in owning a condo for use an entire year than paying $1,500 to $1,900 maintenance for a one week use of a timeshare, Let’s use a condo with an association fee of $5,000 annually, 5,000 taxes and $5,000 more for utilities and other costs. That’s $15.000 or 52 weeks or $288.00 per week. With your own condo you are not on a waiting list to use it and even that mandatory 10-13 months needed in advance.

Den
Aug 13, 2018

nonniec wrote:
I guess it just depends on how you use it. We own a week in Maui that we usually turn in for vacation club points. In addition we purchased 3,000 points to bring us to Chairman's level. We don't travel during high demand times and have been able to book what we ask for. It works well for retired people and I'm sorry it's not good for others. You can try to list your time on Vacation Candy.com or Redweek for more than your maintenance fees if you can't use your time.

One Maui week and 3000 weeks is not going to bring you to Chairman level. This would make me suspect your credibility. I own Marriott too and enjoy the program. It has its pluses and minuses like everything else.

Charles S.
Aug 13, 2018

You may want to take another look at your Marriott Points Chart. We own one fixed week in a 3 bedroom, oceanfront Villa in the Napili building. That week equals equals 10,225 points plus 3,000 point we purchased brought us to Chairman's level. A few years ago Chairman's level increased to 15,000 points but members that were at that level prior to the increase were grandfathered in. Thanks to Chairman's status we also enjoy lifetime Platinum status with our Marriott Rewards credit card. Facts matter!

charless345 wrote:
nonniec wrote:

One Maui week and 3000 weeks is not going to bring you to Chairman level. This would make me suspect your credibility. I own Marriott too and enjoy the program. It has its pluses and minuses like everything else.

Nonnie C.
Aug 13, 2018

I at this point in life rent condos in Florida for abt $5,000 per month. I would never buy a condo. The Marriott time share just become an add on to my condo rentals in Florida. The Crystal Shores Marco Island become a great trade off to going to the Aruba Ocean Club every year. Less airfare and with as an add on to my Florida Condo rentals.I get a two bedroom gulf side for 21 days and have points left over for a few more days. This all with owning only 2 Aruba weeks and postponing one year to make such a Marco Island vacation possible. One needs to press the buttons as soon as bookable or lost out completely.

Michael B.
Aug 13, 2018

Same here. I could never afford to own a condo on the Gulf. I have enough MVC to ensure about 6 weeks vacation and Crystal Shores is our favorite. St Thomas in the winter, Marco in spring and points left over for more vaca. We're pretty pleased.

Sandy M.
Aug 26, 2018

The obvious question is why would anyone want to buy into Marriott Vacation Club. My perspective as an owner of about 10-years, is this has been the worst investment I have ever made. I have no loan payment, pay only maintenance fees, but still feel this way. VRBO and Airbnb were not available or not popular when I bought, those options make this an even more questionable investment. Vacation is supposed to be just that, vacation. Trying to understand the ins and outs (fine print) of how to use points, all the restrictions, etc. is tedious. All of these owners complaining should be a red flag to anyone considering this.

Don G.
Aug 26, 2018

You are complicating something that really isn’t that complicated! I own the equivalent of four weeks...we bought two fixed weeks and bought points twice. Our first week was acquired over 20 years ago. We have had wonderful trips! When we were young and still working, it put us in accommodations we would never have been able to afford otherwise. I will take a unit with multiple TVs, bedrooms, bathrooms a living room and a kitchen any day over a hotel room. We have been retired for a number of years....these timeshares have allowed me to take the kids and secure multiple units...enough space for everyone.. a timeshare is not a financial investment....it is an investment in a lifestyle.

Joy A.
Aug 26, 2018

Agree

Sandy M.
Aug 26, 2018

Totally agree! This program works for us!!

Nonnie C.
Aug 28, 2018

Agree as well !!!

Jack W.
Aug 29, 2018

I do agree with you but how many owners like me will go into the website almost every day to firm up my last week's points for 2019 so they can be added to my two already booked points vacations. It takes a lot of patience and time to do this every year but so far I am up to the task. Still a 1 click on say a Hilton property and you are done. I am a Marriott timeshare owner for 15 years. That's over $25,000. in maintenance fees for changing towels, etc????

Michael B.
Aug 30, 2018

No, it’s not $25,000 for “ changing towels.”......

My maintenance is about $5, 500 per year....so, yes, I know it isn’t free......but to put that into perspective we just paid $159 per night ( plus tax!) to stay in a FAIRFIELD INN near an airport. I paid as opposed to using some of our Rewards points because hotel prices have escalated so much that anything under $189 is now a bargain. As you know, a Fairfield is decent....but you certainly wouldn’t want to spend a week vacation there. We took 3 trips since June where hotels were involved....you would be stunned at the cost.

Maintenance fees cover a lot more than towels....they are the operating expenses! The landscaping, pool maintenance, front desk, housekeeping, recreation staff and security salaries. Throw in the real estate taxes, ground and pool upkeep materials, new plants, annual painting where needed, elevator maintenance, trash service, etc... then the improvement costs that aren’t special assessments to the owners like missing and worn towels, the blender needed replaced...one specific unit needs a new refrigerator, etc....

Maintenance isn’t maid service...it is what runs the place.

Joy A.
Aug 30, 2018

One other comment....seriously, take your family to a HOTEL for just a long weekend...stay in the one hotel ROOM, and if it isn’t a gorgeous very expensive resort, there will be a small unattractive swimming pool to try and relax around.....no other amenities,.....spend that weekend vacationing like that, and you will have new appreciation for your timeshares.

Joy A.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.