Mar 16, 2020

I’m so sad to say that I have reached out to the vacation owner that we are renting from to cancel our spring break condo. Just wondering what my chances will be with either being able to re-book at a later date or be refunded? Going to be a hard pill to swallow if we can’t get something back from a 2300.00 a week stay 😢

Deb S.

Last edited by debs224 on Mar 16, 2020 10:31 AM

Mar 16, 2020

If you would like to read RedWeek's notice about COVID 19, you can do so on this page: COVID 19

RedWeek Support
RedWeek.com
Mar 16, 2020

debs224 wrote:
I’m so sad to say that I have reached out to the vacation owner that we are renting from to cancel our spring break condo. Just wondering what my chances will be with either being able to re-book at a later date or be refunded? Going to be a hard pill to swallow if we can’t get something back from a 2300.00 a week stay 😢

No idea about ownership details (points / fixed week / floating week) but whatever it is I certainly hope that you have a formal, mutually signed rental agreement in which the terms and conditions relating to cancellations and refunds are very clearly and specifically addressed.

Some rental agreements clearly state in writing that there will be no refunds under any circumstances, often further overtly recommending that the prospective tenant purchase travel insurance / trip cancellation insurance to protect themselves from potential financial loss in the event that a rental "goes south" for reasons beyond travelers' control.

If you executed no formal rental agreement at all, you are basically subject to the discretion / mercy of the owner (who still has a maintenance fee bill to pay by the way, whether their week is utilized or just sits there empty). I doubt that you will see much (if any) refund, unless the owner is willing to (...very generously) refund the amount you paid which is above the amount of his/her actual maintenance fee bill. At this late date for a "spring break" week, the owner might not even be able to cancel the reservation and re-book it at all (depending on the "chain", its' reservation rules and the nature of the underlying ownership). If it's a deeded "fixed" week, the owner has NO option to change the use to some alternative date. All that said, I hope some sort of accommodation can be made for you (and for the owner too) under these unusual circumstances in very difficult times. Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 22, 2020 06:11 AM

Mar 17, 2020

Thank you! I have received a message from the owner and she has gone above and beyond for me with her flexibility. I do believe things will work out.

Deb S.
Mar 23, 2020

REDWEEK 'S "ARBITRATION" TEAM REFUNDED ENTIRE RENTAL AMOUNT TO MY RENTER WHO MADE NO EFFORT TO CONTACT ME. MARRIOTTS WAIOHAI WAS OPEN AND MULTIPLE AIRLINES WERE FLYING TO KAUAI WHEN MY RENTER WAS CONTRACTED TO CHECK IN. REDWEEK UNILATERALLY DID THIS WITHOUT ANY INPUT FROM ME. I LOST THE USE OF MY UNIT AND PAID THE EXPENSIVE MAINTANENCE FEES. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU WERE SIMILLILARLY TREATED BY REDWEEK. THE ARBITRATION LETTER SAID MY UNIT WAS "UNINHABITABLE". IF MY RENTER HAD NO INTENTION OF SHOWING UP THEY SHOULD HAVE CANCELLED. THIS PANDEMIC DIDN'T START YESTERDAY. VERY DISAPPOINTED IN REDWEEK. I WANT TO APPEAL. RENTER SHOUD HAVE GOTTEN HALF OR NONE.

Todd H.

Last edited by toddh230 on Mar 23, 2020 10:45 PM

Mar 29, 2020

Very true, this started in January and I had mid-April rented. If I had given 60 days I could have changed dates. Redweek let renter out full refund only 13 days before date and MVC is only offering a Interval certificate.

Redweek really fleeced the owners going back on their contract that basically makes cancelling impossible for any reason other then resort closing. If the resort is open it cant be called un-habitable.

I thought 50/50 was fair for both sides, now all the renters get full refunds while owners have to eat entire maintenance fee for no use. All while the owners get nothing from resort.

Justin W.
Mar 29, 2020

How many of us are there? I think a unilateral decision by an “arbitration “ comittee is unjust. No one contacted Me until i was notified of the decision. What recourse do we have?

Todd H.
Mar 29, 2020

I imagine thousands over a two month window. Assuming they are doing this for all March/April listings. I emailed asked if there is an appeal process but have not received response.

Justin W.
Mar 30, 2020

I have received no communication from either renter or Red Week. They could have cancelled up to 2 weeks ahead and I would have been able to get my week back. I have renters at the same location now through Airbnb and have been paid already. The renters through Redweek did not have Stay in Place order until 3 days after their reservation was done. My renters with Airbnb were in constant contact and were aware of the 2 week issue. They said no problem, we are coming. Main issue here. No communication causes huge problems. In this day, that should not be a problem.

David P.
Mar 30, 2020

Redweek NOT doing anything as the escrow/intermediary party except collecting their fee. No effort to contact me until “arbitration “ notice five days after check in

Todd H.
Mar 30, 2020

Hoping Redweek follows in Airbnb footsteps and credits owners something. Airbnb gave 25% after the fact since they took a social media beating.

Justin W.
Apr 06, 2020

Marriott has fleeced its Legacy Owners as well. We had a week scheduled for mid-April at our home resort, booked a year ago, and air reservations to go with it. When our governor ordered a stay in place mandate two weeks ago, I immediately contacted Marriott explaining the unprecedented circumstances. I requested any fall week in exchange, at either my home resort or two comparable ones nearby, also Marriott. I got a terse reply that since I had not cancelled more than 60 days out (at which point this virus was not known to most of the US), they could not do more than offer an Interval International certificate, for which I would have to pay $89 to join Interval, another $99 when and if Interval could find me a fall week, and not even request a week until 120 days out. As a former II owner, I know the luck of getting a place as nice as my home resort is almost nill - I quit years ago after paying dues year after year for sub-standard exchanges, if any. For those lucky owners (now that they have had ample warning about the virus) whose week is more than 60 days out, Marriott will let them just turn their week back in and book another week later in the year through Marriott. When I braved the hour-long phone wait to talk to a phone rep, and then to a supervisor, she used the work "Legacy Owner" like it was reserved for the peons who didn't pay to buy into Destination Points, after already buying their week and liking what they'd bought! Even American Airlines had the decency to refund my economy tickets in full, as did the rental agencies with whom I had additional weeks after my Marriott week. I used to think the world of Marriott - no more.

Susan H.
Apr 07, 2020

I had same experience. Renter was supposed to check-in March 20 to Marriott Desert Springs Villas I & March 19 Redweek contacted me saying renter asked for a refund. I offered 50% & didn't hear from Redweek about this again until April 7 when they informed me they gave her 100% because uninhabitable. Not true. Was inhabitable & still is - I phoned & resort was checking in guests. Redweek is still today accepting new rentals. I printed out several pages. Those poor owners continuing to pay Redweek's fees haven't been forwarned they may lose use of their week and the rental fee. When a renter cancels 1 day prior to check-in and Marriott is allowing owners with check-in dates 60 days or more out, the owner who trusted Redweek has no recourse. An owner who is an attorney needs to file a class action suit for owners. Who are the people and their job titles making these decisions? Airbnb protects their owners better than Redweek has in this crisis.

Patricia P.
Jun 04, 2020

Contact Your State Attorney General and file a complaint.

Redweek is out of control!!!

Read the rental agreement. Actually says illness not the problem of owner of unit!

If the Unit is not habitable on the day that the Rental Period commences by reason of flood, fire, or storm, and a satisfactory substitute is not made available, the total Rent will be refunded to the Renter. If the Renter is required to evacuate the Unit at any point during the Term, the Renter is entitled to a pro-rated refund for unused nights from the point of evacuation order through the remainder of the Term. In such events, the Owner will have no further liability to the Renter. Renter's inability to complete their travel for any other reason beyond the Owner's control (including, but not limited to: illness, airline interruptions, job loss) are the sole responsibility of the Renter, and Payment is non-refundable. Renter is encouraged to purchase trip interruption and cancellation insurance for such matters.

Paul L.
Jan 20, 2021

epidemic turn the whole world.

Jennie Miller

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.