Ask RedWeek

Crown International Group Florida - Timeshare Purchase Offer Legitimacy?

Mar 01, 2021

I have received quotes from Crown International Group, Florida, for high purchase prices on two timeshares I own through different companies in Mexico (Mayan Palace and the Villa Group). The broker is not asking for an upfront fee and claims to receive a 6% fee when I receive my money from the sale. Neither this real estate firm in Florida, or the broker, are listed with the Licensed Timeshare Resale Brokers Association. Is this a legitimate offer or yet another scam? Offer is in writing and broker provided contact info, which I followed up on and phone number/email are legit. L.J.F.

Lenard J.
Mar 01, 2021

I have received quotes from Crown International Group, Florida, for high purchase prices on two timeshares I own through different companies in Mexico (Mayan Palace and the Villa Group). The broker is not asking for an upfront fee and claims to receive a 6% fee when I receive my money from the sale. Neither this real estate firm in Florida, or the broker, are listed with the Licensed Timeshare Resale Brokers Association. Is this a legitimate offer or yet another scam? Offer is in writing and broker provided contact info, which I followed up on and phone number/email are legit. L.J.F.

Lenard J.
Mar 01, 2021

They lure you in with a high price for your timeshare . Then they string you along for a while until they set the hook . Once they have you where they want you they claim that there is a " fee " that has to be paid before they can complete the sale . This scam has been used for so long everyone should be wise to it by now .

Don P.
Mar 02, 2021

Don is correct. Names don't matter. If you are "verifying" a phone number, you need to not use one THEY give you. There will be fees that pop up before any money changes hands. Play along - if you want. But, it is not worth your time. They are crooks.

John I.
Mar 02, 2021

lenardj2 wrote:
Is this a legitimate offer or yet another scam?

It's another scam.

Lance C.
Mar 24, 2021

I also received this offer and was wondering if its a scam. He also claimed that I don't need to pay anything upfront. Sp did you ever verify it?

Rachel K.
Mar 24, 2021

rachelk203 wrote:
I also received this offer and was wondering if its a scam. He also claimed that I don't need to pay anything upfront. So did you ever verify it?

OF COURSE it's a scam. What sort of "verification" could you possibly want or need ? Rest assured that you absolutely would be asked for money at some point --- after you bite on the baited hook. Some imaginary fee or tax will suddenly be "required in order to proceed with the transaction."

Put those big dollar signs out of your eyes and out of your mind for just a moment and take two steps back to examine this "offer" objectively.

Question: Why would any legitimate person cold call you out of a clear blue sky and offer to buy something from you that has little or no market value in the first place, let alone offer you serious money for something that can very easily be obtained any day of the week for a very few dollars (or even for free)? C'mon now...

Answer: It would never happen. This is a lame and obvious scam attempt, plain and simple. Participate at your peril.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Mar 24, 2021 01:15 PM

Apr 23, 2021

I also have received such an offer and what I have said to them that if they are seriously interested in this that I need to have half of the purchase price deposited into an account of my choice, before closing or proceeding any further. So far they have not responded... They go around doing this about every 4-5 months.

David W.
Apr 23, 2021

Also one other thing. When they call me the number comes up as potential spam. When I confronted him about it he told me that it was because my phone wasn't set up right. And I ask again, when they are going to deposit the funds into my account so we can proceed. Still no answer. I have three different ones like this that are calling me right now.

David W.
Apr 27, 2021

This is the first offer for my Vida timeshare that sounded legit, from Crown International Realty. I guess it;s not? Sharon L.

Sharon L.
Apr 27, 2021

It's a SCAM !!

Don P.
Apr 28, 2021

shaaronl wrote:
This is the first offer for my Vida timeshare that sounded legit, from Crown International Realty. I guess it;s not?

I hate to say this but this is probably not going to be the last "offer" your going to get. All of them will be scams.

Lance C.
May 10, 2021

This company sold my timeshare in Mexico and my $$ are sitting in a trust account but first I had to send $6,000 for a business permit because I was selling a timeshare required in MEXICO. AND I DID. Now there saying in January 2021 Mexico has a new tax and only I can send $15,000. I told them take it out of the money in the trust but they say that illegal. Then they told me the buyer tried to pay it but it was returned because it has to come from me. It was to come from me only per Mexico law. Once it’s paid they will release the funds in the trust. I think I’ve been scanned. Please advise. There paper work “Sales Agreement” and title company used look legit but now I question this transaction. FYI my husband passed away and they said that’s ok. We don’t need his signature. Odd not even the death certificate. Please help

Mary F.
May 11, 2021

maryf672 wrote:
I think I’ve been scanned...Please advise....Please help

Yes, you have definitely been scammed. Sadly that $6000 that you have sent is long gone so do not waste your time, energy, and sanity trying to get it back. Your best bet now is to cut off any further communication with these scam artists and not fall for any other scams.

Unfortunately, you are now on a "sucker list" and you will be getting more phone calls from scam artists.

Lance C.
May 11, 2021

where do i go to report this scammer

Mary F.
May 12, 2021

Mary: You can try to recover the $6,000 paid by contacting your credit card company and indicating you received nothing for the charge. If you sent them a check or certified funds, it is unlikely you will ever get it back. Best thing to remember is, do not ever sent money to any organization involved with selling something you own until you have funds in your pocket.

If you cannot use your timeshare, try contacting your resort and explaining the circumstances. While they may not have buy back funds this year due to Covid and resulting lack of sales to other people, next year their economic climate might be better and they may show interest in selling your unit for you. However, don't give them any funds for selling it until you have your funds, or they are in escrow for you.

maryf672 wrote:
This company sold my timeshare in Mexico and my $$ are sitting in a trust account but first I had to send $6,000 for a business permit because I was selling a timeshare required in MEXICO. AND I DID. Now there saying in January 2021 Mexico has a new tax and only I can send $15,000. I told them take it out of the money in the trust but they say that illegal. Then they told me the buyer tried to pay it but it was returned because it has to come from me. It was to come from me only per Mexico law. Once it’s paid they will release the funds in the trust. I think I’ve been scanned. Please advise. There paper work “Sales Agreement” and title company used look legit but now I question this transaction. FYI my husband passed away and they said that’s ok. We don’t need his signature. Odd not even the death certificate. Please help

Robert & Michele H.
May 19, 2021

Mary, I'm in the same pitch and circumstance, i.e. that buyer has twice tried to pay the state tax, but MX gov't has returned. Now Crown is saying I must pay and have sent me a phony legal document promising no more surprises in the sale process. I'm not paying the $14k tax, but In likely out of the $6k license fee.

Jeffrey C.
May 19, 2021

It's a SCAM !!!!!!!!

Don P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.