Kaanapali Beach Club

Is this a good news or bad news?

Dec 05, 2006

The change of name is it good news or bad news? What will be the biggest changes. Are they still going to free happy hour. Are they still going to have a 8 dollar a day breakfast?

thanks Nile

Nile S.
Dec 14, 2006

Hi. Just got back from 2 weeks on Maui. Everyone still refers to the Ka'anapali Beach Club as the Embassy and according to every cab driver and bus driver, they always will. Other than that fact and the inconvenience it will cause you if you just say "Ka'anapali Beach Club" to a driver and get taken to someplace else, like the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel, I can't see the name change as news of much significance. The Sunterra Brand is keeping a curious kind of low profile around the resort and I asked about this but got no real answers. Most bartenders had no clue that any changes had even taken place! BTW, I loved our 7 day stay at the Beach Club and would return there. The 1BR 1BA Unit was plenty spacious for 2 adults but don't let all those photos on display here fool you. They wow you with that ocean front view which you will not see unless you spend the very big bucks for it and I think only the 2 BR units get the kind of views the pics let you think that every unit provides. We spent little time in our unit and didn't much care about the view. We were up and out for a walk on a beach before sunrise and almost always planted at a beach bar for sunset. Just beware. Some friends of ours let the fact that they didn't view the ocean from their lanai ruin their entire trip!

Redd W.
Mar 02, 2007

daddyd wrote:
Hi. Just got back from 2 weeks on Maui. Everyone still refers to the Ka'anapali Beach Club as the Embassy and according to every cab driver and bus driver, they always will. Other than that fact and the inconvenience it will cause you if you just say "Ka'anapali Beach Club" to a driver and get taken to someplace else, like the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel, I can't see the name change as news of much significance. The Sunterra Brand is keeping a curious kind of low profile around the resort and I asked about this but got no real answers. Most bartenders had no clue that any changes had even taken place! BTW, I loved our 7 day stay at the Beach Club and would return there. The 1BR 1BA Unit was plenty spacious for 2 adults but don't let all those photos on display here fool you. They wow you with that ocean front view which you will not see unless you spend the very big bucks for it and I think only the 2 BR units get the kind of views the pics let you think that every unit provides. We spent little time in our unit and didn't much care about the view. We were up and out for a walk on a beach before sunrise and almost always planted at a beach bar for sunset. Just beware. Some friends of ours let the fact that they didn't view the ocean from their lanai ruin their entire trip!
We have an ocen front condo and always have the waves lapping under our balcony..it is beautiful.

Michaele H.
Mar 02, 2007

We have an ocean front condo at Embassy..paid the big bucks at the time...always see the islands from our balcony..see the waves and hear them under our balcony...it is the one king size bed..it is nice...however, the food is not as good at the Ohana Grill and the menu is not as good either...The food inside the North Beach Grill is good but unless one looks outside the ambiance is awful and often children scream through the dinner..they should be sent to a different section..so one can have a peaceful and more elegant setting...the market across the Honkowai Hwy is very covenient for stocking the fridge....Lahaina is not far..and Kapalua also..The Kahakaloa ride around the North side of the island is drop dead..and so is above the cliffs above Kahului..around past the Vineyards towards Hana..still not ruined... .Hwver, trying to sell this timeshare and regain an investment is very difficult unless one takes a fraction of the purchase price.

Michaele H.
Dec 15, 2007

I find it hard to believe that there is one solitary owner of a timeshare that does not feel as if they were bamboozled. I see sad stories of people having to take out home loans, just to pay off this white elephant to sell it for a fraction of what they paid. High pressure sales and clearly lack of real laws governing this rip-off have created a vortex of unsatisfied consumers. What is really needed is a group willing to help enact legislation to help stop this wholesale rape of the consumer. Plus a site dedicated to resale which in essence will take the ownership and subsequent sales of any more timeshares from the big corporations and make it a trade type situation among the owners. I am sure among all the owners of timeshares there are some who can come up with legal creative ways to go about this. When the true word about these scams, in laymen's terms is broadcast there will be less rampant sales and resales and more satisfied customers. It is a thought that all who are not in complete denial should embrace. Let's take full, realistic ownership of what we have paid for.

David H.
Jan 09, 2008

We enjoyed our stay at the resort from December 17th thru Dec 30th...however, we have stayed at this resort six times in the last 13 years and in no way would purchase a time share. I mentioned it in passing to my CPA and all he told me was that "I would break your fingers if you bought a "time share"..." enough said for me! We witnessed many "owners" getting upset aout loosing their "privledges", such as limited maid service, increased maintainence fees, taking away breakfast and coctail hour and the dis-repair of the common areas. Years ago, there was a very nice boutique and wonderful deli with movie rental and picnic baskets to go....Beach Buddies for the kiddies, a wonderful manager coctail time (2 hours) and other ammenties for the quests. Now all that area is for "time share" sales....and when we were there in December this area was hardly used. If they were going to close areas for the guest, at least have a nice "guest laundry" area with more than 1 washer & dryer! For all you "owners", ban together and get this once beautiful and guest freindly property back and for those that have thought it out an "not pourchased", good for you!

Debi C.
Jan 09, 2008

debic wrote:
We enjoyed our stay at the resort from December 17th thru Dec 30th...however, we have stayed at this resort six times in the last 13 years and in no way would purchase a time share. I mentioned it in passing to my CPA and all he told me was that "I would break your fingers if you bought a "time share"..." enough said for me! We witnessed many "owners" getting upset aout loosing their "privledges", such as limited maid service, increased maintainence fees, taking away breakfast and coctail hour and the dis-repair of the common areas. Years ago, there was a very nice boutique and wonderful deli with movie rental and picnic baskets to go....Beach Buddies for the kiddies, a wonderful manager coctail time (2 hours) and other ammenties for the quests. Now all that area is for "time share" sales....and when we were there in December this area was hardly used. If they were going to close areas for the guest, at least have a nice "guest laundry" area with more than 1 washer & dryer! For all you "owners", ban together and get this once beautiful and guest freindly property back and for those that have thought it out an "not pourchased", good for you!
we leave jan 12th for a week and will let you know what we find..when we get back..hopefully it is not ruined...thanks for the warning about the cocktail and breakfast eing deleted.

Michaele H.
Jan 09, 2008

Are you serious. They took away the breakfast and happy hour? What about the parking?

Nile S.
Jan 10, 2008

They still have breakfast and cocktail hour, but for "owners" you have to pay now. I believe it is $12.00 ea or advance breakfast tickets are $10.00 ea if you buy the week and there are no more manager cocktails. You will get "discounted" items from 4:30 to 6:30 out in the bar pool. Wholesalaers still get the included breakfast and 2 cocktails each evening. Parking is $12.00 a day. The restaurant is ancient and don't look at the ceiling or the ceiling fans :). I am almost sure it has the same furniture and chair cushions as our first stay 13 years ago.The main entrance driveway is a badly need of repair. Please don't get me wrong, the rooms have all been re-done and are really nice and the whole place is clean. Housekeeping works their tails off and the maintenance department is doing the best they can for an old building.They do have "plans" to repair and refurbish the hotel.....but the way I understand it, they have to give owners a year's notice of major repairs, is that correct? It will take a few years to get things all in shape. I still love the large rooms and the area, I was just dissapointed in the overall up keep over the years and the "time share" thing. If I were an owner, I would watch out for "special" assessments along the way for repairs etc, I think you will seeing them .....I spoke to one lady out by the pool and she told me that the elavators have had the ok to fix.....but not sure when, and the pool be re-furbished and I believe the lobby....She has 2 weeks at the hotel and I asked her why she bought and she replied, "it only cost me $680 a week to stay here...." ok, so I asked her what her 2 weeks "time shares" cost and she didn't have a clue. I can't understand why people don't invest their money, instead of "giving" it away, and travel on their interest and dividends...it's pretty simple to figure out.

Debi C.
Jan 10, 2008

I have a couple of questions. One you don't mention what you paid to stay at the resort and enjoy the amenities that "owners" are now denied. You also mention what a stupid investment this would be but seem to think that those who were originally duped should now "ban" together and fix this resort up so you have a nice place to stay. If Embassy did not want to save this decaying resort why would a group of "papered owners" want to. I also wonder why a non-owner would post to this forum when evidently redweek signifies that you own a timeshare with redweek staus. I know there is a groundswell of people eager to take advantage of those who may have been pressured into purchasing timeshares and benefit by paying what amounts to the maintenance fees to stay at the resort at their expense. This would be the perfect place to find those victims and gain that benefit. It makes sense they are a good mark as proven by the fact they bought the timeshare in the first place. The resort has been designated as the star property of the new owners Diamond resorts and will be maintained and kept up as best to their ability. Don't come out here in the forums and bad mouth those who have purchased under pressure. I am sure they have beaten themselves enough, they don't need help from you. Don't like the resort? Stay somewhere else.

David H.
Jan 10, 2008

davidh273 wrote:
I have a couple of questions. One you don't mention what you paid to stay at the resort and enjoy the amenities that "owners" are now denied. You also mention what a stupid investment this would be but seem to think that those who were originally duped should now "ban" together and fix this resort up so you have a nice place to stay. If Embassy did not want to save this decaying resort why would a group of "papered owners" want to. I also wonder why a non-owner would post to this forum when evidently redweek signifies that you own a timeshare with redweek staus. I know there is a groundswell of people eager to take advantage of those who may have been pressured into purchasing timeshares and benefit by paying what amounts to the maintenance fees to stay at the resort at their expense. This would be the perfect place to find those victims and gain that benefit. It makes sense they are a good mark as proven by the fact they bought the timeshare in the first place. The resort has been designated as the star property of the new owners Diamond resorts and will be maintained and kept up as best to their ability. Don't come out here in the forums and bad mouth those who have purchased under pressure. I am sure they have beaten themselves enough, they don't need help from you. Don't like the resort? Stay somewhere else.
Amen

Nile S.
Jan 11, 2008

niles2 wrote:
davidh273 wrote:
Amen
parking for owners is $12 a day..how can they do this and not tell us?

Michaele H.
Jan 11, 2008

Back up, first of all I was only replying to your message from December 15th. Sounds to me like you have already beaten everyone up, including yourself and that was definetly not my intention. I was only replying to your comments. I came upon this site after I was told by the hotel early last year to check with owners to see if they were renting out their rooms. Actually that is the first time that I had ever even seen or read anything on time share rentals or selling of time shares. I was amazed at how many persons rent out their weeks and even more amazed at how many are selling, and in no way am I considering purchasing. It is also a good site to get feedback on properties that I might want to stay at. I even was working with a woman who was very helpful on renting her time, the only problem was that she only had it for 7 nights and I was looking at 14....the price of renting a time share is right in line with what you can get at a travel agent. I also apologize that you mis-understood the part of 'banning" together, I assumed that even though you are a "paper owner" your suggestions and comments would be heard by Diamond Resorts. I filled out my suggestions and comments to them already as a guest. Again, I was not trying to offend anyone, I was not, but am now, aware of how much these "offers" are hurting people. And for the record, I still love Kaannapli Beach Club just as I did 13 years ago!

Debi C.
Feb 16, 2008

Someone said that parking for owners is $12 a day. We just got back and had FREE valet and self serve parking.

The place is very clean but do agree that the restaurant food needs to be better (like hot food not warm). Happy hour for all is from 4:30pm-6:30pm at the bar by the pool. Discounted appitizers and certain drinks for $5.00. This gives you a great view of the ocean and can watch the whales play if you are there at the right time of the year. Common areas are improving and plans for the "sales" area in time to be converted to retail shops. When Diamond Resorts bought Sunterra this resort was not up to their standards of a 5 star resort. They are working on making it a 5 star resort and that will take some time.

Christina S.
Mar 01, 2008

michaeleh wrote:
niles2 wrote:
davidh273 wrote:
Amen
parking for owners is $12 a day..how can they do this and not tell us?

PARKING FOR OWNERS IS FREE. I just returned from KBC and think it is a wonderul place to vacation. I don't see what people are upset about as far as the lobby etc. It's one of the classiest places on Maui on the north side. Sure if you want to pay big bucks and stay in the Westin or some of the places down the coast you will find nicer facilities, we just bought more time at the KBC and rent it out. There will always be someone who complains about accomodation. The rooms couldn't be nicer.

Ron D.
Mar 01, 2008

niles2 wrote:
The change of name is it good news or bad news? What will be the biggest changes. Are they still going to free happy hour. Are they still going to have a 8 dollar a day breakfast?

thanks Nile

We upgraded to the points system there, and there are many rooms with ocean view. They may not face ocean front, but I would guess probebly 75% of the rooms have ocean view. It's a fabulous place, we love it there. The grounds are impeccably kept, and the staff will bend over backwards to make your stay enjoyable.

Ron D.
Mar 01, 2008

davidh273 wrote:
I find it hard to believe that there is one solitary owner of a timeshare that does not feel as if they were bamboozled. I see sad stories of people having to take out home loans, just to pay off this white elephant to sell it for a fraction of what they paid. High pressure sales and clearly lack of real laws governing this rip-off have created a vortex of unsatisfied consumers. What is really needed is a group willing to help enact legislation to help stop this wholesale rape of the consumer. Plus a site dedicated to resale which in essence will take the ownership and subsequent sales of any more timeshares from the big corporations and make it a trade type situation among the owners. I am sure among all the owners of timeshares there are some who can come up with legal creative ways to go about this. When the true word about these scams, in laymen's terms is broadcast there will be less rampant sales and resales and more satisfied customers. It is a thought that all who are not in complete denial should embrace. Let's take full, realistic ownership of what we have paid for.

What are you talking about? They may be high pressured in the sales dept. but by law you have 7 days to back out....just like ANY other timeshare resort. You call it a scam....? We have owned there for 5 years, have upgraded to the points sytem and love it! We were not scammed at all. Timeshares are timeshares...know the rules before you buy. The majority of the rooms in this resort are ocean view or ocean front.

Ron D.
Mar 02, 2008

ron56 wrote:
davidh273 wrote:

What are you talking about? They may be high pressured in the sales dept. but by law you have 7 days to back out....just like ANY other timeshare resort. You call it a scam....? We have owned there for 5 years, have upgraded to the points sytem and love it! We were not scammed at all. Timeshares are timeshares...know the rules before you buy. The majority of the rooms in this resort are ocean view or ocean front.

You must have purchased this "bargain" off property or you are in deep denial. I don't know what you paid or the details of your timeshare but just the fact you "upgraded" to the points system is a tell. The truth of the matter is I was scammed and I will admit it. If you believe you were not that is ok too. However I knew the "rules" and believe me I tried after purchase to contact these thieves for restitution or for a refund. This apparently did not work out for me. By the way the law states three days, not seven, a much more luxurious number indeed. We were on vacation until after the expiration date for a backout. We travel extensively and believe me this is NOT any bargain. I personally feel NO timeshare is a real bargain. People who say otherwise are just afraid to admit they were flim-flammed by professional con artists. This is not idle babble from unkown sources but rather input from every timeshare owner I PERSONALLY know. The ones who don't feel slammed are the ones who travel to one or two places every year (not tropical islands) and paid substantially less for their redweeks than you or I did. Their maintenance fees are less than a third of ours too. I have at this point right now paid approximately eight and one half times what I paid to originally stay here for a week, in a 2 bedroom, ocean front suite. Whether there are "rules" or no rules I was ripped off in this deal. Check current sales prices to see if you made a good deal here. By the way a majority of timeshare buyers know little about any rules, nor are they informed of any rules. They are on vacation, to a place they consider paradise and don't want to tell anyone it isn't just exactly that. This is the hook used to psychologically draw you in, from there it is all emotion versus cunning. They are very good at the game and rules are the least heard part of the scripted spiel. If you have travelled to ANY other tourist destination lately you know the salesmen in these places do not care if you know rules or anything else, they just long to feed victims to the sharks. I have a website due online called xxxxxxxxxxxx pay it a visit sometime later in the year. Drop by and give your input there maybe explaining in more detail than the obvious (Maui, oceanfront, tropical) just what you think really makes this such a bargain. I'd love to provide you a forum for that!

David H.

Last edited by marty8084 on Mar 03, 2008 11:51 PM

Mar 03, 2008

davidh273 wrote:
ron56 wrote:
davidh273 wrote:

You must have purchased this "bargain" off property or you are in deep denial. I don't know what you paid or the details of your timeshare but just the fact you "upgraded" to the points system is a tell. The truth of the matter is I was scammed and I will admit it. If you believe you were not that is ok too. However I knew the "rules" and believe me I tried after purchase to contact these thieves for restitution or for a refund. This apparently did not work out for me. By the way the law states three days, not seven, a much more luxurious number indeed. We were on vacation until after the expiration date for a backout. We travel extensively and believe me this is NOT any bargain. I personally feel NO timeshare is a real bargain. People who say otherwise are just afraid to admit they were flim-flammed by professional con artists. This is not idle babble from unkown sources but rather input from every timeshare owner I PERSONALLY know. The ones who don't feel slammed are the ones who travel to one or two places every year (not tropical islands) and paid substantially less for their redweeks than you or I did. Their maintenance fees are less than a third of ours too. I have at this point right now paid approximately eight and one half times what I paid to originally stay here for a week, in a 2 bedroom, ocean front suite. Whether there are "rules" or no rules I was ripped off in this deal. Check current sales prices to see if you made a good deal here. By the way a majority of timeshare buyers know little about any rules, nor are they informed of any rules. They are on vacation, to a place they consider paradise and don't want to tell anyone it isn't just exactly that. This is the hook used to psychologically draw you in, from there it is all emotion versus cunning. They are very good at the game and rules are the least heard part of the scripted spiel. If you have travelled to ANY other tourist destination lately you know the salesmen in these places do not care if you know rules or anything else, they just long to feed victims to the sharks. I have a website due online called xxxxxxxxx pay it a visit sometime later in the year. Drop by and give your input there maybe explaining in more detail than the obvious (Maui, oceanfront, tropical) just what you think really makes this such a bargain. I'd love to provide you a forum for that!

Well, our contract says we can cancel in 7 days, don't know when you bought. The current points system is excellent, we rent out a few weeks every year, and it more than pays for our maintenance fees. We own timeshare is 4 other places, and we feel over the long run it is a great system. Sure there are many who aren't, and I'll be the first to admit that the salespeople can be pretty sleazy sometimes, but all you have to do is say no. It may be tough to say no, but hey, who's money is it anyway? Just say NO.

Ron D.

Last edited by marty8084 on Mar 03, 2008 11:52 PM

Mar 03, 2008

davidh273 wrote:
ron56 wrote:
davidh273 wrote:

You must have purchased this "bargain" off property or you are in deep denial. I don't know what you paid or the details of your timeshare but just the fact you "upgraded" to the points system is a tell. The truth of the matter is I was scammed and I will admit it. If you believe you were not that is ok too. However I knew the "rules" and believe me I tried after purchase to contact these thieves for restitution or for a refund. This apparently did not work out for me. By the way the law states three days, not seven, a much more luxurious number indeed. We were on vacation until after the expiration date for a backout. We travel extensively and believe me this is NOT any bargain. I personally feel NO timeshare is a real bargain. People who say otherwise are just afraid to admit they were flim-flammed by professional con artists. This is not idle babble from unkown sources but rather input from every timeshare owner I PERSONALLY know. The ones who don't feel slammed are the ones who travel to one or two places every year (not tropical islands) and paid substantially less for their redweeks than you or I did. Their maintenance fees are less than a third of ours too. I have at this point right now paid approximately eight and one half times what I paid to originally stay here for a week, in a 2 bedroom, ocean front suite. Whether there are "rules" or no rules I was ripped off in this deal. Check current sales prices to see if you made a good deal here. By the way a majority of timeshare buyers know little about any rules, nor are they informed of any rules. They are on vacation, to a place they consider paradise and don't want to tell anyone it isn't just exactly that. This is the hook used to psychologically draw you in, from there it is all emotion versus cunning. They are very good at the game and rules are the least heard part of the scripted spiel. If you have travelled to ANY other tourist destination lately you know the salesmen in these places do not care if you know rules or anything else, they just long to feed victims to the sharks. I have a website due online called xxxxxxxxx pay it a visit sometime later in the year. Drop by and give your input there maybe explaining in more detail than the obvious (Maui, oceanfront, tropical) just what you think really makes this such a bargain. I'd love to provide you a forum for that!

I stayed there in a warerfront deluxe ocean front in January 2008 with the waves lapping under our lanai..the rooms were well appointed and luxurious..there was maid service and free valet parking for owners...Hawaii is a paradise and we loved our ninth stay at this timeshare...we too bought a deluxe ocean front and have never been disapponted. The staff are warm and friendly...in fact we have bever regretted our purchase of this timeshare or in any of our trips to Maui..even when there was rain...Mahalo and Aloha

Michaele H.

Last edited by marty8084 on Mar 03, 2008 11:52 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.