Timeshare Exchanges

Resort Solutions Inc

Mar 25, 2009

Last fall we increased our points with El Cid to 500K. At that time they told us that RSI would list the properties and during the prime Mexican holiday seasons they would advertise and rent our property for us. We signed up for it as the financial side sounded very lucrative and we could recover some of our cost as we will never use that many points. Has anyone had any dealings with them good or bad or is it just another scam. The cost to us for this service was minimal and all Mexico El Cid locations are listed.

Peggy G.
Mar 26, 2009

If they ask for an upfront fee then it's a scam as ALL timeshare weeks cannot be rented (supply and demand rule in the timeshare world).

R P.
Apr 03, 2009

If you check out Resort Solutions Inc on the BBB website, they are listed and appear to have had a good number of complaints in the last 36 months; some resolved, some not. I haven't found any specific scam with this company and renting people's weeks. I wouldn't just take the advice that 'if they charge up front it's a scam', b/c i'm sure there are some up-front costs to listing timeshares for rent. But I would talk to them and check out their website, one disturbing things i saw was that they have a large number of timeshares listed for rent at all price levels, and it looks like they start them out at a high price, then keep dropping it until it rents. So if you're doing it to make a profit, that dwindles your profit away. I also wonder how much they actually advertise and market your timeshare to rent it.

Brian J.
Apr 04, 2009

birthdayboy wrote:
I wouldn't just take the advice that 'if they charge up front it's a scam', b/c i'm sure there are some up-front costs to listing timeshares for rent.

Go ahead and use them if you like to throw money in the hundreds of dollars away. There are NO upfront costs to listing a rental in a database. I could do it in one minute with little effort if I had a rental/sale database. Upfront fees are the only thing they want.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Apr 04, 2009 07:38 AM

Apr 20, 2009

Well Redweek.com charges an upfront fee to post on the Rentals and the Sales pages - so does eBay - and Peggyg48 did say that the amount was "minimal". Which is not to say that it isn't a scam.

David D.
Apr 21, 2009

davidd320 wrote:
Well Redweek.com charges an upfront fee to post on the Rentals and the Sales pages - so does eBay - and Peggyg48 did say that the amount was "minimal". Which is not to say that it isn't a scam.
The business model of many upfront fee companies is to tell owners that they can sell or rent their units for a cost well beyond true market value. Just because a resort, such as Marriott, can sell or rent units for big bucks, doesn’t mean an owner will get the same money.

Upfront fee companies will charge hundreds of dollars and then list the unit on their website. Maybe someone will stumble upon it. These companies do NOT market your individual TS. Then when owners ask for the alleged refund, the company does not respond.

IF an upfront fee company was honest about the market value and told owners that their TS will be listed on a website, etc, etc, then I don’t have a problem with them. If people want to pay big bucks for that, then it is their choice. It is the deceit that gives these companies a bad name.

In any case, before listing your TS anywhere, do an internet search on “Timeshare Resales” and see which sites show up. I did this with one upfront fee company, who was solicited me and the company’s website was no where to be found.

As for RedWeek and other sites, the owner knows exactly what he/she is paying for. The owner has control of the listing, prices, etc. He/she can go on the website at any time and update the listing. The length of the listing is usually only for short period. The owner can choose to renew or not. RedWeek has been very good about responding to questions from their members.

Mike N.
Apr 21, 2009

davidd320 wrote:

Redweek is a timeshare ad site .... they do not charge in the hundred to thousands of dollars for YOU to LIST your timeshare here like the upfront fee resale companies do, and you'll get far more exposure here than in an upfront fee company database that no one will ever see. Ebay's business model is the same except that they're an auction site .... very high exposure. You're comparing apples to oranges.

R P.
Apr 21, 2009

I'm in total agreement with you Jayjay. It was just that Peggyg48 did say that the amount was "minimal". I suppose it depends on how much you would regard as "minimal" really.

The real scam giveaway to me is the cold-call. If I haven't initiated the contact then it's certainly a scam.

Personally, I'd stick to Redweek or eBay myself (and there are some sites that don't charge a cent) or use one of the reputable resale companies (of which there are very few indeed).

David D.
Aug 12, 2010

peggyg48 wrote:
Last fall we increased our points with El Cid to 500K. At that time they told us that RSI would list the properties and during the prime Mexican holiday seasons they would advertise and rent our property for us. We signed up for it as the financial side sounded very lucrative and we could recover some of our cost as we will never use that many points. Has anyone had any dealings with them good or bad or is it just another scam. The cost to us for this service was minimal and all Mexico El Cid locations are listed.

I just signed up with a WTA World Traveler's Advocate. They told me they could rent my time shares and recover my costs. Is there company really going to be able to do that. Max

Max G.
Aug 12, 2010

peggyg48 wrote:

What do you mean by the cost for this service was minimal? Any company that requests a large upfront fee is a scam. All they want is your upfront fee and they'll tell any kind of lie to get it. Don't you wonder how they got your contact info and then cold called you ????

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Aug 12, 2010 07:21 AM

Mar 21, 2011

I think they are a scam - they have done nothing for us in 2 plus years.

Linda L.
May 19, 2011

I happen to personally know the founder and ceo of this company. He is an excellent (and honest) business man. Before saying that they "did nothing for you" realize that, in this economy (which has been unfavorable for over 2 years) its extremely difficult for anyone to sell/rent timeshares. Just something to think about.

K H.
May 20, 2011

kh140 wrote:
I happen to personally know the founder and ceo of this company. He is an excellent (and honest) business man. Before saying that they "did nothing for you" realize that, in this economy (which has been unfavorable for over 2 years) its extremely difficult for anyone to sell/rent timeshares. Just something to think about.

I DON'T know the (unnamed) CEO / founder of this unknown entity, but I've sold two timeshare weeks on my own and rented out two others during the past 1 1/2 years, without paying a penny to some unknown upfront fee parasite, despite the unfavoble economy.

Just something ELSE to think about before considering paying ANYONE (including Resort Solutions Inc.) an upfront fee in ANY amount...

KC
Oct 03, 2011

kh140 wrote:

No offense but then I would truly love to have his name and number because starting in May, my mother has been scammed for a total of 32,986 dollars so far from this company. She only agreed to a one time payment of 2500 dollars. My sister is now power of Attorney and what we have found out is that they not only have defrauded my mother but may have given out her account number to other businesses. They said they had a buyer only to have it fall through. We were lucky enough to get a call answered where we asked for a copy of the contract /authorization only to be told they didn't keep the contracts past 6 months. October (this month) is the 6th month!. After they were told that, we were informed that they did not give refunds and abruptly hung up on us. So You see, its not just a bad business but also elderly abuse. Your friend my be a "honest business man" but this company and his business associates are not honest in any way. My mother is 77 and she is an "HONEST" God Loving Christian woman who tries to go out of her way to help those in need. Now she is broke, not just because of this company but to ever leech company who she put her faith in to sell these soul sucking timeshares. So please Tell this Nice Honest business man to give us a call to explain just how they can steal so much from someone who is in need herself because she believed in a so called "HONEST" business.

Gambrell A.
Oct 04, 2011

gambrella wrote:
They said they had a buyer only to have it fall through.

This is the 'modus operandi' of upfront fee resale scammers. They tell you they have a buyer then for whatever reason the buyer backs out after you've given them your hard earned money.

Report this scam company to the attorney general in the state the scam company is located.

R P.
Oct 04, 2011

kh140 wrote:

BS .... the founder knows good and well that they are running an upfront fee scam company. If it's EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to sell/rent timeshares in this economy then why does 'excellent and honest ceo' take upfront fees in the first place?

R P.
Oct 06, 2011

jayjay wrote:
gambrella wrote:
They said they had a buyer only to have it fall through.

This is the 'modus operandi' of upfront fee resale scammers. They tell you they have a buyer then for whatever reason the buyer backs out after you've given them your hard earned money.

Report this scam company to the attorney general in the state the scam company is located.

Thanks so much and we've already started in our state as well as theirs.. The problem were running into is the fact we need the bank records and little ms. Walk All Over ya (Wachovia) now turning into Wells Fargo is dragging their feet. We closed the accounts and have done everything that we have been advised. I'm learning more about the banking system than ever before. Capitol One has been absolutely fabulous as well as the detective/other banks working on this. One thing we have learned is that WE have to do the major detective work on this.

Gambrell A.
Dec 28, 2011

Resort solutions seems to be still "at it" I got a cold call today, 12/28/2011. they said they had a buyer for my festiva Charleston S.C. timeshare at a very attractive price, I was advised I must agree at once,and start the process with a $2,500 payment. the discussion soured when I said my attorney would have to examine the offer before I proceed . Can you spell SCAM ?

Curt in Charleston

Curtis H.
Jan 02, 2012

This company is a total scam. The deflectors probably work for the them. When it sounds too good to be true...remember it is! When we tried to back out before signing the contract, they really applied pressure and lies. DO NOT list with them. We are out $1400 on this scam and are still stuck with our timeshare.

Bookchic
Jan 02, 2012

Why yes I can...Resort Soultions spells SCAM!

Bookchic

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.