Jan 19, 2008

Timeshares have got to be the all time ripoff companies ever. We own a deeded red week in Myrtle Beach, that will be supposedly, passed on to our children. God forbid! I would't want them to have to deal with all we have had to deal with since we bought this. We used it when we could, or could'nt, exchanged it, (when I could finally get the information on how to do this), paid an exchange fee, paid 15% interest, banked and lost most of our weeks. We don't even get information anymore, except for our annual maintenance fee bill, which has doubled! We didn't get the week calendar to show us what week we have available this year.

We were once again caught in a resale scam and lost another $500 trying to sell our timeshare. This was to cover the evaluation of our timeshare, which they never did and we never received. Our credit card company could not recind because I only got an answer machine when I called them back within 3 days to cancel.

I feel sure that you are doing the same thing...

Barbara Martin

CC: Clark Howard, WGST Consumer Reporter, Atlanta, Ga cc: file

Barbara M.
Jan 20, 2008

barbaram331 states in part: >> Our credit card company could not recind because I only got an answer machine when I called them back within 3 days to cancel.<< ================================================

The law (regardless of the individual state involved) always requires you to rescind in writing. Even if the parasites had answered your calls, just telling them over the phone to cancel the contract still would not have been legally sufficient --- it MUST be done in writing.

The timeshare world certainly has a lot of complexities, and a fair share of dishonest and deceitful people as well. That much acknowledged, however, with all due respect it sounds (at least from the limited details within your post) that some of your particular dissatisfactions may have arisen from failing to fully comprehend exchange company rules and procedures. Banked weeks expire if not used or extended --- that's pretty much a universal fact. Exchange companies like RCI and II require a paid, current membership --- if you allowed your membership to expire without renewing it, then your banked weeks would indeed be "lost" and you would receive no further info or directories from the exchange company.

As far as paying an upfront fee parasite to "evaluate" or sell your timeshare, that was an error in judgement on your part and a waste of money. I'm genuinely sorry for your unhappiness with whatever it is that you own, but with all due respect there may be a good measure of personal accountability and responsibility here...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 20, 2008 05:32 AM

Jan 20, 2008

barbaram331 wrote:
We used it when we could, or could'nt, exchanged it, (when I could finally get the information on how to do this), paid an exchange fee, paid 15% interest, banked and lost most of our weeks.

I feel your pain, however, how did you lose your banked weeks with the exchange company? Did you let them expire? There have to be many resorts that you would like to go to that's in the RCI and/or II wishbooks (catalog of resorts).

The first thing you should do when you bank your week(s) is to have a plan in place as to where you would like to exchange your week, and the sooner you make those plans the better in order to get an exchange you desire.

Then learn how to use your exchange company's online capabilities. When they started this feature, I never called an exchange guide again. You can do everthing online; bank your week, search for an exchange, confirm an exchange, start an ongoing search and anything else related to exchanging.

With timesharing, you have to learn how to play the game. If not, you're left in the cold with all your banked weeks expired and nothing to show for it.

Yes, timesharing has many rip-off artists and upfront fee resale companies top the list, in my opinion.

R P.
Jan 20, 2008

jayjay wrote:
barbaram331 wrote:
We used it when we could, or could'nt, exchanged it, (when I could finally get the information on how to do this), paid an exchange fee, paid 15% interest, banked and lost most of our weeks.

I feel your pain, however, how did you lose your banked weeks with the exchange company? Did you let them expire? There have to be many resorts that you would like to go to that's in the RCI and/or II wishbooks (catalog of resorts).

The first thing you should do when you bank your week(s) is to have a plan in place as to where you would like to exchange your week, and the sooner you make those plans the better in order to get an exchange you desire.

Then learn how to use your exchange company's online capabilities. When they started this feature, I never called an exchange guide again. You can do everthing online; bank your week, search for an exchange, confirm an exchange, start an ongoing search and anything else related to exchanging.

With timesharing, you have to learn how to play the game. If not, you're left in the cold with all your banked weeks expired and nothing to show for it.

Yes, timesharing has many rip-off artists and upfront fee resale companies top the list, in my opinion.

RCI is also a rip off. I have banked my weeks with them for YEARS and never can get a good location in return. Definitely disgusted and will not renew with them!

Mary P.
Jan 21, 2008

maryp295 states: >> RCI is also a rip off. I have banked my weeks with them for YEARS and never can get a good location in return. Definitely disgusted and will not renew with them!<< ----------------------------------------------------------------

I am certainly no defender of RCI and I never have been. However, I don't agree that RCI is actually a "rip off". Exchange availability through RCI has certainly declined in recent years, due in part to their direct rental practices, but I've also learned along the way (to my utter amazement) that some folks who own a white, summer, studio week in "dime a dozen" Orlando wonder why they can't seem to exchange it for a prime beachfront unit in Maui over a New Years holiday week.

The RCI computers have "quality filters" in place for exchange searches (referred to as "VEP" in the RCI vernacular). In essence, the VEP (which I believe stands for "Vacation Experience Profile") assigns a trading power value (which RCI won't ever openly disclose) to any given deposited week. Rarely (if ever) will an exchange be offered which is much (if any) better than what was actually deposited in the first place. In short, depositing two pounds of copper tubing never results in anyone being offered four pounds of solid gold in "exchange".

I have very little use for RCI, personally, but I nonetheless think that calling RCI a "rip off" is a bit extreme...

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 21, 2008 09:42 AM

Jan 21, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
maryp295 states: >> RCI is also a rip off. I have banked my weeks with them for YEARS and never can get a good location in return. Definitely disgusted and will not renew with them!<< ----------------------------------------------------------------

I am certainly no defender of RCI and I never have been. However, I don't agree that RCI is actually a "rip off". Exchange availability through RCI has certainly declined in recent years, due in part to their direct rental practices, but I've also learned along the way (to my utter amazement) that some folks who own a white, summer, studio week in "dime a dozen" Orlando wonder why they can't seem to exchange it for a prime beachfront unit in Maui over a New Years holiday week.

The RCI computers have "quality filters" in place for exchange searches (referred to as "VEP" in the RCI vernacular). In essence, the VEP (which I believe stands for "Vacation Experience Profile") assigns a trading power value (which RCI won't ever openly disclose) to any given deposited week. Rarely (if ever) will an exchange be offered which is much (if any) better than what was actually deposited in the first place. In short, depositing two pounds of copper tubing never results in anyone being offered four pounds of solid gold in "exchange".

I have very little use for RCI, personally, but I nonetheless think that calling RCI a "rip off" is a bit extreme...

============= The real "rip off" are the TS salespeople who tell buyers they can exchange their RED summer Orlando studio for that Hawaiian beachfront.

Go Pats Mike

Mike N.
Jan 21, 2008

mike1536 wrote:
The real "rip off" are the TS salespeople who tell buyers they can exchange their RED summer Orlando studio for that Hawaiian beachfront. Go Pats Mike

Exactly ... many (not all) timeshare salespeople would sell their mothers to make a timeshare sale. They merely open the wishbooks (exchange company resort catalogs) and tell people the entire world is at their feet. That's their modus operandi ..... I, personally, think all presentations should be required by law to be recorded.

GO GIANTS (ELI MANNING)

R P.
Jan 21, 2008

Re: >> GO GIANTS (ELI MANNING)<< ------------------------------------------ Sorry, there will no ring for ANY Manning THIS year. One more to go for "Nineteen and O".....

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 22, 2008 06:24 AM

Jan 22, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
Re: >> GO GIANTS (ELI MANNING)<< ------------------------------------------ Sorry, there will no ring for ANY Manning THIS year. One more to go for "Nineteen and O".....

I realize the odds are heavily in favor of New England with zero losses this year, but upsets do happen :o).

It would certainly make football history if a Manning quarterback (Peyton last year and Eli this year) won the superbowl. I remember watching their dad Archie play for Ole Miss and later for the New Orleans Saints. It amazes me how talent like throwing a football can be passed down from dad to kids via genes.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jan 22, 2008 06:32 AM

Jan 22, 2008

jayjay observes: >> It would certainly make football history if a Manning quarterback (Peyton last year and Eli this year) won the superbowl.<< --------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, but the only history I personally want to see made THIS year is the New England Patriots going undefeated from start of season right through and including the Super Bowl, far surpassing the record of ANY other team in ALL of NFL history. The Miami Dolphins were undefeated in 1972, but the regular season back then was only 12 games long. The Patriots have already won several more games this season than the '72 Dolphins won in all of 1972.

I like Eli and his day will come. But not THIS Year. ;-)

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 22, 2008 10:41 AM

Jan 22, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
jayjay: >> It amazes me how talent like throwing can be passed down from dad to kids via genes. --------------------------------------------------------------

I agree, but the only history I personally want to see made THIS year is the New England Patriots going undefeated from start of season right through and including the Super Bowl, far surpassing the record of ANY other team in ALL of NFL history. The Miami Dolphins were undefeated in 1972, but the regular season back then was only 12 games long. The Patriots have already won several more games this season than the '72 Dolphins won in all of 1972.

There is plenty of talent in the Brady family also!

Tom's sister Maureen(MO ) Brady was a great fast pitch softball pitcher and took Fresno to one of the first softball championships in college.

She was my daughters pitching coach for about five years. Mo gave thousands of pitching lessons to young girls all the way through high school and was asst pitching coach for St. Marys college in Orindo Ca also. Plenty of family talent and she was chosen about six years ago to the Bay Area sports Hall Of Fame.

Daughter got to meet Tom when he was playing for Michigan and he was a great guy then too! Mo brought him out because our daughter wanted to meet him (crush time).

I am also wanting New England because this would be great record and also would be record set now and not back in the past years!

Of coarse Tom being a home town boy is other reason.

Many of us wanted 49ers to draft Tom Brady but it didn't happen. How great it would have been since Tom went to 49er games and was big fan of Joe Montana as most of us N. Ca fans are.

I see Tom is wearing a foot cast so hope he is alright to play in Super Bowl.

Phil L.
Jan 22, 2008

phill12 wrote:
ken1193 wrote:
jayjay: >> It amazes me how talent like throwing can be passed down from dad to kids via genes. --------------------------------------------------------------

There is plenty of talent in the Brady family also!

Tom's sister Maureen(MO ) Brady was a great fast pitch softball pitcher and took Fresno to one of the first softball championships in college.

She was my daughters pitching coach for about five years. Mo gave thousands of pitching lessons to young girls all the way through high school and was asst pitching coach for St. Marys college in Orindo Ca also. Plenty of family talent and she was chosen about six years ago to the Bay Area sports Hall Of Fame.

Daughter got to meet Tom when he was playing for Michigan and he was a great guy then too! Mo brought him out because our daughter wanted to meet him (crush time).

I am also wanting New England because this would be great record and also would be record set now and not back in the past years!

Of coarse Tom being a home town boy is other reason.

Many of us wanted 49ers to draft Tom Brady but it didn't happen. How great it would have been since Tom went to 49er games and was big fan of Joe Montana as most of us N. Ca fans are.

I see Tom is wearing a foot cast so hope he is alright to play in Super Bowl.

=========

Maybe it's time to start a new thread on this topic.

Mike N.
Jan 22, 2008

mike1536 correctly notes: >>Maybe it's time to start a new thread on this topic.<< ----------------------------------------------------------- You're right, Mike. I'm often quick to criticize those who hijack threads and steer them off-topic, so I should follow my own advice....

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 22, 2008 02:36 PM

Jan 22, 2008

ken1193 wrote:
mike1536 correctly notes: >>Maybe it's time to start a new thread on this topic.<< ----------------------------------------------------------- You're right, Mike. I'm often quick to criticize those who hijack threads and steer them off-topic, so I should follow my own advice....

KEN ,WHY DO YOU CARE WHAT THIS MIKE THINKS I KNOW I DON'T!

All the questions and some are dumb and many are same questions over and over and still we try and help people with answers when we can.

I get so sick of someone that has nothing better to do then post a smart a-- comment because they may have spent three seconds of their time reading it. He spent more time answering with comment.

Yes we went off subject for three post plus Mikes and it really hurt this topic. This topic has run its coarse and been answered many different times.

I love these people that think its there job to tell others what to say.

Phil L.
Jan 22, 2008

phill12 notes: >> KEN ,WHY DO YOU CARE WHAT THIS MIKE THINKS I KNOW I DON'T! << ---------------------------------------------------------------- Phil: In all fairness, l do know for a fact from exchanges both within (and outside of) RedWeek that Mike is a good guy. He has also been very helpful on RedWeek to a lot of people, particularly on the topic of RCI Points. And his observation was a valid one, so I take no offense.

Let's just let it go and move on... (Go Pats) ;-)

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 22, 2008 03:40 PM

Jan 22, 2008

What Mike said was not mean spirited in the least and he certainly has a point that we definitely steered off topic. Maybe what Redweek needs is a lounge similar to what Tug has for discussions other than timeshares. Mike is a very knowledgable and well respected regular poster here on Redweek. We're all just having a little fun with our favorite Super Bowl teams ..... chill Phil (hey, that rhymes) :o).

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jan 22, 2008 03:50 PM

Jan 22, 2008

phill12 wrote:
All the questions and some are dumb and many are same questions over and over and still we try and help people with answers when we can.

That's why we regular posters come here. If a question has been asked before, we try to steer the asker to the search feature. The same over and over questions are asked on ALL timeshare forums ... it's part of the territory of educating people on the subject of timesharing.

If people knew ALL the answers (timesharing is a very complex subject covering many different aspects) there would be no need for timeshare forums in the first place (case in point, the many different point systems out there now that totally boggles MY mind).

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jan 22, 2008 04:04 PM

Jan 22, 2008

jayjay wrote:
What Mike said was not mean spirited in the least and he certainly has a point that we definitely steered off topic. Maybe what Redweek needs is a lounge similar to what Tug has for discussions other than timeshares. Mike is a very knowledgable and well respected regular poster here on Redweek. We're all just having a little fun with our favorite Super Bowl teams ..... chill Phil (hey, that rhymes) :o).
=========== Jayjay & Ken...thanks. Sorry Phil, I didn't mean to offend you. I actually enjoyed reading the banter between the three of you, but I'll hold off on my comments until after the big game.

Go Pats Mike

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Jan 22, 2008 04:10 PM

Jan 22, 2008

Gosh, am I the only Giants fan here :o)?

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Jan 22, 2008 04:07 PM

Jan 22, 2008

mike1536 wrote:
Sorry Phil, I didn't mean to offend you. I actually enjoyed reading the banter between the three of you, but I'll hold off on my comments until after the big game.

Go Pats Mike

Mike I wasn't saying you are not helpful or anything like this. There are people though that just jump in like their the site traffic cop.

Since it is Super bowl coming up and Ken and Jayjay made harmless comment about the teams and Eli I thought it would be interesting that I had met Tom Brady and his sister being my daughters pitching coach.

I feel once in awhile instead of fighting we can have a short conversation that doesn't hurt anyone.

We didn't need a new post for this and we can just go back on topic if there is anything that hasn't been covered yet.

My comment about the post running its coarse was because how many times do we go over the same thoughts!

Don't use up front companies Don't rent unit that was from exchange Don't try and rent your unit if you got it from II or Rci Don't buy from delveloper Only buy resale when possible Sales people are rip-off artist and lie to make sale Why do M/F keep going up

If we stop answering these topic everyday there would be nothing to talk about so we try and help with answers. Some fun needs to be in these forums as long as know one gets hurt.

No enjoyment and the forums just become boring.

I'm betting either the Giants or New England win the Super Bowl! Think I have been watching to many debates lately.

PHILL12

Phil L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.